Tbilisi State Medical University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
The Tbilisi State Medical University is one of the leading medical universities in Georgia. It was established in 1918, and since then, it has been devoted to teaching medical and pharmaceuticals and has also excelled in medical research. Tbilisi graduates have been making the university proud all over Georgia, Europe, and the rest of the world.
TSMU aims at the highest-quality academics and transparency of the managing bodies, and academic freedom for both students and the academic staff body. Today it is a family of over 7000 undergraduate and 3000 postgraduate students, of which 26% is the international population.
Tbilisi State Medical University is accredited and recognized by major international organizations like the World Health Organization (WHO), United Nations Organization (UN), Educational Commission for graduates in foreign medicine (ECFMG), and Foundation for the Advancement of Education and International Medical Research (FAIMER).
According to EduRank, Tbilisi State Medical University’s (TSMU) rankings in 2022 are:
- 5044 In the World.
- 1748 In Asia,
- 4 In Georgia
- 4 In Tbilisi
TSMU at a glance:
|Year of Establishment
|Medium of Teaching
|Georgian, Russian, English, French.
|NMC, WHO & UNESCO approved
|International student population
|Number of academic faculties
|Most Approached Course
|MBBS course duration
|6 years including internship
|Rolling basis, no deadline.
|Annual fees- general medicine program
|8,000 USD/29,383 AED*
|Living Cost per month
|350 – 450 USD/ 1,285 – 1,652 AED*
Why study at Tbilisi State Medical University?
- Tbilisi State Medical University holds recognition from WHO, the European Commission of Education, and the World Federation of Medical Education.
- TSMU is a member of the International Association of Universities and the European Universities Association.
- The degree earned from Tbilisi State Medical University courses MCI-Medical Council of India recognized.
- The academic quality of learning, teaching, and research meets very well with the international standards.
- Tbilisi state medical university is one of the top public universities in Georgia and is especially sought after among medical aspirants all over the globe.
- This university ranks very well internationally among the top medical universities.
- TSMU has a high acceptance rate of 75%, increasing the chances of medical aspirants who wish to study in Georgia.
- Courses are available in Languages: Georgian, Russian, English, and French.
- The tuition fee and living expenses in Georgia are very affordable. This article will help the student manage their expenses well.
Programs & Courses offered by TSMU
Tbilisi State Medical University (TSMU) is the most approached for MBBS and medical studies by students all over the globe. It is a popular choice for international students looking for medical universities in Georgia. Other courses include bachelor’s and master’s in dentistry, pharmacy, and nursing. Also, research is an integral part of TSMU.
Schools of study at Tbilisi include:
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Nursing
- Faculty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Campus and Accommodation
Tbilisi or Tiflis is the capital city and also the largest city in Georgia. The Tbilisi State Medical University hostels are very well sufficed with meal facilities. The hostel provides a vibrant environment getting the faculty and students together, encouraging a multiplicity of religions, beliefs, and cultures.
TSMU does not provide on-campus accommodation for the students, but the city provides facilitated living options for students, which are also very affordable. The living and food expenses have been discussed in detail below.
Admission requirements for international students
Application portal: Online. The Gyanberry Application Service is making a student’s application process hassle-free.
Application fee: Free
Acceptance Rate: 75%
- Applicant must be 25 years or less
- The applicant must have passed 10+2 from a recognized institute
- NEET is an obligatory exam for Indian students applying for MBBS at Tbilisi State Medical University.
- IELTS and TOEFL are required as proof of English proficiency.
- Verified document of acceptance from the University
- Tuition fee payment receipt
- Passport-sized photos
- Visa application form (Gyanberry also provides Visa assistance)
- Accommodation details
- Health insurance (Obligatory for the International students to obtain local Medical Insurance before the commencement of each academic year, packages vary from 15 -25 USD per month)
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Travel documents
MBBS at Tbilisi State Medical University lasts for a period of 6 years which includes a 1-year internship. The first 2 years are dedicated to academic and theoretical medical education and the last 3 years consist of clinical courses with internship practice.
Tbilisi state medical university admission 2023:
- The applicant must start a new application and fill it out online.
- Offer letters would be issued to respective students.
- The admission office starts the enrollment process based on offer letters
- The procedure includes translation, notarization, and recognition, which approximately takes 2-4 weeks.
- Students can apply for a visa after the documentation.
Program intake for the MBBS course at Tbilisi State Medical University starts in the month of September or February. The application process starts in the months of January and June.
Tuition, fees, and total cost of attendance
Tbilisi State Medical University offers quite an affordable fee structure for MBBS/ Medical students.
Tuition fee for MBBS:
|Fee in USD (approx)
|Fee in AED (approx)
Other than MBBS, there are other bachelor’s and master’s courses. Tuition fees for the same have been mentioned below.
|Annual Fee (USD)
|Annual Fee (AED)*
|Bachelors in Dentistry
|Bachelors in Pharmacy
|Bachelors in Public health and management
|Bachelors in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
|Masters in public health management and rehabilitation
Cost of Living in Tbilisi, Georgia:
Below is the living cost of Tbilisi, Georgia:
|Cost in USD per month
|Cost in AED per month*
|286 – 314
|1050 – 1153
|71 – 114
|261 – 419
|11 – 21
|40 – 77
*Converted at the rate of 1 USD=3.67 AED. The exchange rate is subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for International students
State Scholarships for Students is a program by TSMU for successful students to obtain a state scholarship for students enrolled in Medical or dentistry programs.
Amount: 48 USD/ 175 AED* per month for one semester.
Career Prospects for International Students
After completing the MD program, a candidate will be eligible to practice in Georgia and several other countries. The medicine programs offered by TSMU are accredited by World Health Organization (WHO) and recognized worldwide.
Working in Georgia
The following is the average pay scale in Georgia:
|Annual Salary Range
|General Practitioner (GP)
Keep in mind that these are salary estimates and can change depending on the experience, location, and public/private practice.
Foreign nationals who want to work in Georgia will need to obtain a long-term visa, which functions as a work permit and also allows the holder to get a residence permit after arriving in Georgia. Upon approval of the visa application, the employee can travel to Georgia.
Once there, they’ll need to obtain a residence permit from the Public Service development agency. Spouses and dependents who travel to Georgia with the employee will also need residence permits. Residence permits for foreign workers are valid for one year, after which they are eligible for renewal for up to five years.