Medical studies in Turkey: Job Prospects, Salaries and Post Graduation
After completion of medical studies (MD/MBBS) in Turkey, international students can choose from the following prospects.
- Practice medicine as a General Practitioner/ Doctor
- Pursue a post-graduate degree (Ph.D.)
Besides being popular as a tourist destination, Turkey is also popular for its highly developed medical treatment and world-class laboratories. Therefore, many international students prefer to study medicine in Turkey. There are over 47 universities in Turkey offering Bachelor’s programs in medicine. These universities follow advanced teaching methods and sophisticated scientific approaches to train and enable doctors to tackle new challenges and diseases.
Here is a detailed account of career prospects after medical studies (MBBS) in Turkey.
Practice medicine in Turkey
- After completion of the six-year MD program in Turkey, you need to work 6-9 months in a government educational hospital.
- You require a work permit or visa issued by the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services to start working as a medical doctor in Turkey.
- Though Turkish language proficiency is not required for studying medicine in turkey, it is a requirement if you are planning to practice medicine in Turkey. You will have to pass the STS exam to confirm your proficiency in the language.
- After completion of the above-mentioned requirements, you can start applying for jobs in Turkish Hospitals. However, it is important to note that foreign nationals are not allowed to work in state-run hospitals.
- You can search for job opportunities in private hospitals in Turkey through online platforms including Linkedin or Indeed as well as Turkish job portals.
The average yearly salary of a General Practioner or Medical Doctor in Turkey is 17,948 USD or 65,915 AED.
Practice medicine in UAE
You need a license to practice medicine in the UAE. The following are the licensing authorities and the specific territories you can practice.
|DHA (Dubai Health Authority)||Four Government Hospitals|
|MOH (Ministry of Health)||Northern emirates (excluding Dubai and Abu Dhabi)|
|DHCC (Dubai Healthcare City)||Dubai|
|HAAD (Health Authority Abu Dhabi)||Abu Dhabi|
It takes 2-4 weeks to review the initial application. After the exam is given and cleared, the labor and insurance card has to be uploaded in under 5 working days.
- Basic medicine degree (MBBS) from a recognized university or college.
- All the certificates should be recognized by the WHO listing.
According to the Payscale statistics, the average yearly salary for a Doctor or Physician in UAE is 108,813 USD or 399,619 AED.
Practice Medicine in India
It is required to have a license issued by the National Medical Commission (NMC) for a candidate who wants to practice medicine in India after the completion of medical studies in Italy.
The candidate has to appear for the National Medical Commission (NMC) screening test or the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) to get a license.
This exam is conducted twice a year in June and December.
- Basic medicine degree (MBBS/MD) from the university approved by MCI.
- Documents in support of the candidate having passed the final examination.
- Admit Card issued by the National Board of Examinations (NBE).
- Candidate’s photograph (min 35x45mm), comprising the name of the candidate and the date of capturing at the bottom of the photograph.
- Any of the authorized photo Identity: PAN Card/Driving License/Voter ID/Passport/Aadhar Card.
According to the Payscale statistics, the average yearly salary for a Doctor or Physician in India is 9,259 USD or 34,003 AED. The salary is highly variable based on the city and specialization.
Post Graduation in Turkey
After completion of MD/MBBS in Turkey, students can opt for Ph.D. programs in Turkey. The following are the popular colleges in Turkey that offer Ph.D. programs in Medicine.
- Hacettepe University
- Ege University
- Istanbul University
- Istanbul Medipol University
- Gaziantep University
- Dicle University
The average yearly salary of a Specialist Doctor in Turkey is 60,631 USD or 222,667 AED.