Study Medicine in Turkey: Top Courses in English, Medical Colleges, Fees, and Eligibility for international students
Studying medicine in Turkey takes six years in total. There are public and private universities providing MD/MBBS programs in English. Their acceptance rates range from 22% to 70%.
These universities have a world ranking of 500-1000 and have a good global reputation. In fact, Medicine in Turkey is highly regarded internationally. Medical tourism in the country is on the rise. This, in turn, is increasing the quality of medical education every year.
Turkey is fast becoming a desirable study destination for international students. Studying in Turkey is one of the most affordable options for aspiring doctors. Read on to know more about the features of medical degrees in Turkey, the best universities, and their fee structures.
Why study Medicine in Turkey?
- In comparison to other countries, Turkey’s medical universities are quite inexpensive. But the quality of education is not jeopardized as a result of this.
- The educational standard is comparable to that of other countries in Europe such as Italy, Hungary, or Poland.
- Every year, Turkey offers many scholarships to international students. Even state-funded aid is available.
- Turkey has over 25 high-ranking medical universities. This makes the country an excellent choice for medical students.
- Medical programs in Turkey are offered in English. International students can get the best medical education without learning the local language.
- Turkey is at par with other global universities when it comes to medical facilities. The country provides a modern infrastructure for holistic medical education.
- International visitors can stay in Turkey in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Best Medical Universities in Turkey
The list features over 25 universities for medical studies. They are listed on the official website for studying in Turkey. The universities rank within the best 200 in the country. These universities rank per their national ranking reported by UniRank in 2021.
|Ranking||University Name||Program Offered|
|2||Istanbul University||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|6||Ankara University||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|7||Marmara Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|8||Hacettepe Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|9||Atatürk Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|10||Koç Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|18||Gazi Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|25||Ondokuz Mayis Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|31||Baskent Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|32||Gaziantep Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|33||Bahçesehir Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|34||Yeditepe Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|37||Mugla Sitki Koçman Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|53||Istanbul Aydin Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|57||Atilim Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|60||Üsküdar Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|62||Inönü Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|67||Maltepe Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|77||Okan Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|80||Ankara Yildirim Beyazit Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|81||Haliç Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|93||Istanbul Medipol Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|124||Acibadem Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|144||Biruni Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|151||Istinye Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|172||Yüksek Ihtisas Üniversity||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|–||Ankara Medipol University||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|–||Lokman Hekim University||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|–||Istanbul University Cerrahpasa||Medicine Pr. (English)|
|–||Altinbas University||Medicine Pr. (English)|
Admission Requirements for Medical Degrees in Turkey
In Turkey, high school graduation is required to pursue medicine. Medical schools in Turkey accept students immediately from high school. Each university may state different criteria for entry. The list below summarizes the typical admission criteria and procedures for international students.
- Students must have a High School Diploma (in science subjects. biology is compulsory) (Min average score of 70%)
- Students must present High School Transcript
- Adequate YOS results- for state universities
- Letter of Motivation
- Some universities require students to take IELTS exam
- Valid Passport
YOS is an undergraduate entrance examination. It is taken by international students looking to enroll in undergraduate courses at state universities
Important points to consider when applying
- Turkey does not have a centralized application system. Students receive an application number after applying to the universities.
- The applicant is responsible for the consequences of providing false information.
- The applicant’s e-mail address must be their own, so each applicant must supply only one email address.
- The applicant’s email address is the username to access the Application System.
- Applicant should upload their scanned photo in the appropriate section of the form.
- The university sends an applicant number to the applicant’s e-mail address after the application is completed and saved.
You will receive an Acceptance Letter after submitting your online application form. You should then contact the Turkish Embassy in your country for information on the visa process.
- Two recent passport-size photos
- Original Passport
- A photocopy of the required passport pages, including the page containing the residence visa.
- Declaration form by the student
- A genuine certificate from a government-approved educational institution in India, along with confirmation of enrollment.
- A bank account statement or a photocopy of a 1500 USD demand draft in the student’s name.
- Approval/ acceptance letter from the chosen university.
How to apply?
Students can apply directly via the university website.
Students can, alternatively, apply via Gyanberry. At Gyanberry, we provide end-to-end counseling and guidance to study at some of the top Medical universities in Turkey. Get in touch with us to know more.
Tuition Fees for international students
Turkey is one of the cheapest countries to study medicine in and not compromise on the quality of education. The lower cost of living and availability of scholarships also aid the financial burden of the students. The cost of studying medicine in Turkey ranges from USD 16,000 to USD 27,000. There are a few more universities that are highly inexpensive with an annual tuition cost of less than USD 10,000.
|University Name||Annual Tuition Fee in USD|
|Istanbul Aydin Üniversity||22,000|
|Istanbul Medipol Üniversity||25,200|
|Yüksek Ihtisas Üniversity||9,000|
|Ankara Medipol University||20,195|
|Lokman Hekim University||16,000|
Cost of Living in Turkey
There are numerous advantages to choosing Turkey as your medical study abroad destination. But the most compelling reason is the low cost of living. Turkey is often listed as a highly affordable country. The average cost of living ranges from USD 2,000 to 3,600.
|Particulars||Annual Cost in TRY||Annual Cost in USD*|
|Insurance and Health Expense||300-2,400||18-144|
|Estimated Food costs||3,600-18,000||216-1,080|
|Books and Stationary||1,620 – 1,740||97-105|
* Living costs in TRY are converted to USD at 1 TRY = 0.060 USD. Please note that current exchange rates are subject to change.
Scholarships for international students in Turkey
One of the most compelling reasons to study MBBS in Turkey is the low cost of tuition and the availability of scholarships for international students. Turkey offers a variety of medical scholarships, some of which are listed below.
- Full-time Turkey Scholarship
- Success Scholarship program
- Turkey merit scholarship program
- Yeditepe University Scholarship
- Medipol-Ankara University Scholarship
- Other University-based scholarships
Opportunities after studying Medicine in Turkey
Career prospects for medical graduates Turkey are promising. After completion of medical studies (MD/MBBS) in Turkey, international students can choose from the following prospects.
- Practice medicine as a General Practitioner/Doctor
- Pursue a postgraduate degree in medicine
The students will need to procure a license to practice medicine in Turkey and other countries. It is required to have a license issued by the National Medical Commission (NMC) for a candidate who wants to practice medicine in India after the completion of medical studies in Turkey.
The candidate has to appear for the National Medical Commission (NMC) screening test or the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) to get a license.
After completion of MD/MBBS in Turkey, students can opt for Ph.D. programs in Turkey. The following are the popular colleges in Turkey that offer Ph.D. programs in Medicine.
- Ankara University
- Marmara University
- KOC University
- Yeditepe University
- Acibadem University
According to the Economic Research Institute, the average salary of a doctor in Turkey is TRY 299,824 or approximately USD 18,000 yearly.