Foundation Year at the University of Warsaw: Rankings, Courses, Admissions and Fees
The foundation year at the University of Warsaw is a highly interactive online study program. The main motto is to elevate language skills as well as introduce the students to the basics of the course they want to pursue further at the University.
What is a Foundation Course?
Foundation Course is a preparatory year for an undergraduate degree in the universities, specially designed for international students. A foundation year could be used to enter straight on to a degree study within the same university. Also, there is an option to get yourself transferred to a different university on completion of the foundation year.
Sometimes, the phrases foundation degree and a foundation year are used interchangeably. There are minor differences between both of them. Foundation year is a preparatory year for the degree you desire, while a foundation degree is more of a qualification in itself.
They help students coming from different education systems around the world i.e Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle-East, Russia, Africa, North or South America to align their qualification to the education system of the country where they want to study abroad.
How will the Foundation Course at The University of Warsaw be beneficial?
A foundation year acts as a bridge, filling the gap between higher education and future education. Wondering who might need a foundation course? You might get your solution here.
- If an applicant needs to acquire study skills and feel like they are not fully prepped for the chosen subject of a specific university
- If an applicant couldn’t manage the entry requirements for the degree course you wish to pursue, but still, stay strong on the path to get yourself enrolled for the same.
- If an applicant has been on a break and needs to fill the education gap, more of a preparatory crash course.
- If an applicant wants to have a taste of the university you are about to get a degree from and need a start before the commitment.
- If an applicant wants to switch subjects and thus wants to have a brief knowledge before enrolling full-time.
- If an applicant lacks the required grades but still is determined for the degree course.
The foundation course is a major asset for 1st-year degree admissions at the University of warsaw. The course teaches all four language skills covering speaking, reading, listening, and writing. With English, this is a great opportunity for the applicants to get exposure to the Polish language and culture.
About the University of Warsaw
The University of Warsaw is a non-profit public institution, founded in 1816. It is the largest University in Poland and the best research center in the country. With a 25% acceptance rate, it has a student population of more than 40 thousand.
The university belongs to the 4EU+ European University Alliance selected by the European Commission for funding in the ‘European Universities’ call for proposals, launched as part of the 2019 Erasmus+ program.
The university was awarded the “HR Excellence in Research” title by the European Commission for adopting the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and maintaining a friendly working environment and transparent recruitment procedure.
According to the World University Rankings 2021-22, the University of Warsaw was ranked as mentioned below:
- World Rank: 394
- National Rank: 2
- Quality of Education Rank: 479
According to the QS World University Rankings 2022, published by global higher education consultancy QS Quacquarelli Symonds, the University of Warsaw was ranked:
- 308th place worldwide
- 130th in Europe
- 1st in Poland
Foundation Course Details
Secondary school graduates from abroad who want to study in English at the University of Warsaw or other Polish universities can apply for the Foundation Year.
Available streams for foundation programs:
- Social studies
In the first semester, participants learn English for academic and specific purposes and have a basic course in the Polish language. The program gets you acquainted with Polish culture, academic life, the university facilities, and its surroundings. In the second semester, there are specific degree courses for students run by specialists.
- 1st June – 15th July
- 13th August – 2nd September
Admission Requirements for International students
- English language skills equivalent to at least B1 level, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, assessed on the basis of the B1 certificate (e.g. IELTS or TOEFL)
- High School Certificate
- Conditional Acceptance Letter for the Foundation Year
Foundation Year Program Fees 2021/2022
The fee for the Foundation year at the University of Warsaw is 3588 USD/ 13180 AED.
Scholarships for Foundation Course
- Provided by the University for International Students
- Students with an average grade score of 4.00 or high are eligible
- Notable accomplishments in science, art, or sports
G-Scholar by Gyanberry
- Up to 20% of the 1st year tuition fee
- Awarded on the basis of academics and extracurricular achievements
The online foundation course gets the student acquainted with the Polish language and culture. Also, it provides a brief introduction to the subject as well.