Halic University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Founded 24 years ago in 1998, Halic University in Istanbul takes a global, innovative, and dynamic approach to higher education. With over 12,000 students from 80 countries, this Turkish university is a flagbearer for diversity. Although Halic was one of the first foundation universities in Turkey, it now employs 380+ academicians across 11 faculties and 99 programs.
Intending to equip students with an aptitude for research and initiative, Halic University imparts quality education primarily to undergraduates and postgraduates in the domains of health, engineering, architecture, sports, and art. To date,18,000 qualified graduates from this prestigious institution have achieved cross-border success.
Why study at Halic University?
- Leading foundation university, perfect for international students looking to study in Turkey.
- Active Student Support Center that helps you with all your academic and scholarship requests.
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced-level English coaching for non-English speaking international students are provided for less than 150 USD.
- 50+ student clubs at the university give students a space to express themselves, practice their hobbies, and socialize.
- 65+ research laboratories on campus are equipped with the latest technology, tools, and equipment to boost and foster the spirit of research.
- International students can avail of a total discount of 15% for their Bachelor’s degree program.
- Halic University employs the Yordam Library Automation System to ensure that students can access library e-resources both on-campus and online with the help of a few clicks.
- The university publishes its highly acclaimed scientific journals in Sciences, Health Sciences, and Social Sciences twice or thrice a year. These journals involve the active participation of young students interested in becoming academicians and researchers.
- Career counseling is provided for both students and alumni members which boosts employability. Halic provides fresh graduates with skills to further their professional careers.
|THE Impact Rankings 2022||Top 1000|
Programs & Courses offered by Halic University
Halic University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. programs alongside vocational school courses. However, the curriculum for most of these is only based in Turkish.
Although international students can learn the Turkish language via TOMER, interested applicants generally just enroll in the few undergraduate programs taught in English.
Most Bachelor’s programs offered by the university have a duration of 4 years. The only exception is seen in the case of courses offered by the Faculty of Medicine as all medical programs offered by Halic University are 6 years long.
The most popular English-taught undergraduate courses opted for by international students include
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Translation and Interpreting
Undergraduates from India prefer studying medicine in Turkey due to the variety of clinical cases available and the affordable tuition fees. Many other reputed medical Turkish universities allow Indian students to enroll in the 6-year-long Medicine program. The cost of medical studies in Turkey is much more affordable than in other popular study abroad destinations.
Campus and accommodation
Students of Halic University lead an enriching campus life. A variety of student clubs build a sense of community and encourage students to take up extracurricular activities. Outdoor evening events take place in the open air in the garden in summer and movies are shown in the cinema hall in winter. The dining hall opens at 8:30 am every morning.
Students should also note that the campus is quite secure. Halic University employs private security officers on a permanent basis. These officers keep an eye on CCTV camera footage and prioritize the safety of the students at all times.
When it comes to accommodation, there are plenty of options available for international students in Istanbul. Students can choose to reside in a dorm room either on their own or on a sharing basis with other students. According to the university’s rule, a dorm room can be shared by 6 people at most.
Renting a house is also an option. Student residences are similar to dorms but have fewer restrictions and are more like personal apartments. However, the cost of accommodation is significantly higher.
Admission requirements for international students
International students should apply via Gyanberry for a seamless admissions process with no hiccups. Once you fill out the application form for Halic University, you will be required to furnish some documents such as
- A passport
- High school academic transcripts
- Your high school diploma
- A TOEFL IBT score of 72 or a PTE score of 55
- A motivation letter (for students interested in medicine programs)
international students need to know that their high school documents must be stamped and approved by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be used for international purposes.
If the student’s application is accepted by Halic University, a conditional offer letter will be sent to the applicant’s e-mail within a week. A non-refundable deposit will then have to be made by the student if they wish to receive an official acceptance letter.
The amount of the deposit will be mentioned in the conditional acceptance letter. This amount will later be deducted from the tuition fees of the applicant once he enrolls in the university. For Medicine applicants, this deposit amount is 4,500 USD.
Tuition, fees, and the annual cost of attendance
The cost of attendance at Turkish universities is generally affordable with all higher education institutions now tied to the Council of Higher Education (CoHE). The university creates a payment plan with a 15% advance payment and the remaining amount is paid in 8 equal installments.
A detailed list of the tuition fees per program for international students is given below
|Program||Duration||Annual Tuition Fees|
|Vocational School||2 years||2,000 USD|
|Bachelor’s Degree||4 Years||4,000 USD|
|Medicine (English)||6 Years||16,000 USD|
|Master’s Degree (with thesis)||2 Years||3,000 USD|
|Master’s Degree (without thesis)||2 Years||2,500 USD|
|Clinical Psychology (with thesis)||2 Years||5,000 USD|
|Ph.D. Programs||4 Years||2,000 USD|
|English Preparatory Year||1 Year||3,500 USD|
Cost of living
|Accommodation and Dining||2,356-3,700 USD|
|Miscellaneous Expenses||500 USD|
Thus, the annual cost of attendance for an international student at Halic University ranges between 5,260- 20,604 USD or 19,320- 75,680 AED*.
*Note: Costs are converted on the basis of the current exchange rate, i.e., 1 USD = 3.67 AED. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for international students
Haliç University offers only a single academic merit scholarship for those international students who have already completed their first year.
A 15% tuition fee exemption is provided to you if you have maintained an excellent track record throughout the semester. However, to be eligible for the scholarship, students need to pay a fixed tuition fee for the first year of their course.
Career prospects, placements, and salaries for Halic University graduates
To keep up with the dynamic job industry, Halic University tries to equip its students with the resources and soft skills required to bag high-profile jobs immediately after the completion of their course.
- The Directorate of Career Development and Alumni Relations offers counseling services to both students and alumni in an attempt to empower them to make the right career decisions. Interview simulations are done and fresh graduates are made to undertake professional orientation and personality tests.
- ‘Alumni-Mentor’ programs are designed to help freshers succeed by garnering experience from Halic’s global alumni network. Several alumni members from Halic University are pioneers in their respective industries across the world and they are invited to conduct workshops at the university.
- The university itself provides students with specific job and internship suggestions. These students are required to provide their CV and sit for an English Placement Exam.
- Turkish organizations readily offer jobs to international graduates. After graduating from Halic University, international students can expect to get an average salary of 6,000-8,000 TRY** (404- 539 USD) per month upon joining.
- Medical students who have passed out from Turkish universities also get lucrative job offers handed to them after graduation. Thus, there are several good career prospects for UG students looking to study medicine in Turkey.
**Costs in TRY have been converted to USD at the exchange rate of 1 TRY=0.067 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.