Royal College of Surgeons Ireland : Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
The Royal College of Surgeons Ireland came into existence in 1784. In Ireland, It’s known as the national training body for the purpose of surgery.
It’s a world-leading university for international health sciences. It offers training at various education levels- Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and Professional.
RCSI is the sole Surgical Royal College across the globe to offer undergraduate and graduate programs in Physiotherapy, Medicine, and Pharmacy. It’s a not-for-profit University of Health Sciences and it also has global operations and reaches in Ireland, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East.
International students from approximately 60 nations are a part of the RCSI family. University has 35 student clubs and more than 40 student societies, and they have a very inviting environment for aspirants.
Royal College of Surgeons Ireland Rankings
|RCSI ranking –||Ranks|
|In Ireland||9 (source: edurank)|
|In Dublin||5 (source: edurank)|
|In Europe||423 (source: edurank)|
|For Paramedicine and emergency medicine(subject)||193 (source: edurank)|
|For Pharmacy and Pharmacology||251-300 (source: QS World University Rankings by Subject)|
Why study at Royal College of Surgeons Ireland?
- RCSI’s alumni are more than 26,000 that are working across 97 nations in the world. Also, it has around students from 60 countries.
- In (THE) the Times Higher Education World University Rankings RCSI has maintained its position in the top 100 bands of universities.
- RCSI, a research-intensive university, has a success rate of 28% which is the highest among any Irish institution.
- Students at RCSI are being provided personal support and development opportunities by a team of professionals.
Programs & Courses Offered at Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
Royal College of Surgeons Ireland offers various courses and programs to Europeans and non- Europeans. However, the acceptance rate for international students is 45%.
Royal College of Surgeons Ireland provides Internationally recognized degrees to graduates of the university.
|Course||Duration||Qualification||Non-EU||IRIS/EU(School leaver)||IRIS/EU(Mature entry)|
|Medicine||5 to 6 years||MB, BCh, BAO (Hons)||65,341||4,527 USD||18,821 USD|
|Pharmacy||5 years||BSc Pharmacy (Hons), MPharm||67,087 USD||19,753 USD|
|Graduate Entry Medicine||5 to 6 years||MB, BCh, BAO (Hons)||21,435 USD||10,222 USD||12,559 USD|
|Physiotherapy||3 to 4 years||BSc Physiotherapy (Hons)||21,435 USD||11,106 USD||11,552 USD|
|International Clinical Pharmacy||4 years||BSc (Pharm) Soochow University; BSc (Clinical Pharmacy – International) RCSI||20,952 USD||20,952 USD||20,952 USD|
Many graduate programs are offered at RCSI. Few graduate programs that are mostly followed up and are being offered in the English language of instruction in the university- Master of Surgery (MCh), MSc Medicine (Physician Associate Studies), MSc Nursing and Midwifery, and MSc Healthcare Ethics and Law.
Campus and & Accommodation at Royal College of Surgeons Ireland
The RCSI campus is located on St Stephen’s Green, York Street is designed with fine-tuned resources to meet the student’s needs.
RCSI organizes various special events within the campus for international students such as International dance night, international food night, ballad sessions, and climbing trips.
RCSI campus provides a gym and fitness centers that are served to everyone. Sports activities organized by RCSI are very inviting to the student family of the university.
Various societies are even organized by RCSI to actively involve students in fine-tuned various activities. The popular societies are- American Medical Student Association, Association of Medical Students in Ireland, Animal Welfare Society, and Art Society.
Royal College of Surgeons Ireland provides multiple choices to students to decide their residency during their study years. New mill and Mercer court are two residential places for students.
|Facilities||New mill||Mercer court|
|Tv in communal area||Not Available||Available|
|Games room||Not Available||Available|
|Cinema room||Available||Not Available|
Mercer court includes two sub- residential choices-
|Rooms||Annual Price for Single Room||Annual Price for Twin Rooms|
|Mercer Apartments rate||12,356 USD||7,938 USD|
|Millin House rate||12,781 USD||8,968 USD|
The new mill includes 6 sub-residential choices: Premium Ensuite, The Deluxe Studio, The Premium Studio, The Classic Studio, The Deluxe Ensuite, and The Premium Plus Ensuite which ranges around 12,687 USD to 17,856 USD.
Admission Requirements for International Students
The application forms are to be filled on the official website of the university. However, the acceptance rate of the university is 45%. Below are the requirements to meet the eligibility criteria in the university
- Scanned mark sheet copies for proof of previous education.
- Entrance exam or Interview if applicable
- Birth Certificate in English
- Financial proof
- Reference letter
- A valid passport
- Migration Certificate
- A proper Medical certificate on HIV and vaccination
- Passport size photos
- A filled up an application form
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
English test scores are a must – IELTS (6.5 and above) and TOEFL(75-95).
The application forms are to be filled on the official website of the university.
The application fee for undergraduate programs is 58 USD.
The application fee for graduate programs is 58 USD or 116 USD.
- Non-EU applicants (USA/Canada not included)- 1st Nov to 1st Feb
- Non-EU applicants (including USA/Canada)- 1st July.
Tuition, Fees, and Cost of Attendance
The average living expenses excluding tuition fee of a student studying at RSU are tabulated below-
|Communications and utilities||1224 USD|
|laundry and clothing||300 USD|
|Total annual expenses||18,099 USD approximately|
The total yearly cost of attendance for international students pursuing medicine and pharmacy at RCSI is 83,440 USD or 3,06,458 AED.
The total yearly cost of attendance for international students pursuing courses other than pharmacy and medicine at RCSI is 39,051 USD or 1,43,426 AED.
Scholarships for International Students
RCSI also offers several scholarships to the students; the students can earn full benefits with their actual performance level in the university. The scholarship for interested students is available for undergraduate, postgraduate, medicine, pharmacy, and physiotherapy programs.
The types of scholarships available to RCSI international students are:
- Aim High Medicine Scholarship– apart from free fees from the government, this scholarship offers 29,100 USD additional to undergraduates of the medicine program.
- Consilio Manuque Medicine Scholarship– this scholarship is worth a total of 29,100 USD and applies to only undergraduates of the medicine program.
- 1916 Bursary Fund– These bursaries will only be offered to undergraduate students for first-time when entering RCSI University in the department of Medicine and Health Sciences. Three types of available bursaries are Tier 1( 5,820 USD per year), Tier 2 (2,328 USD per year), and Tier 3 ( 1,746 USD for only once in the education period).
- Kiran Pathak Pharmacy Scholarship– The scholarship is granted to students who want to study pharmacy in RCSI. Funding levels are confirmed by pharmacy scholarship during the course itself.
- International Pharmacy Scholarship– this is offered to students pursuing a Pharmacy (MPharm) program in the university and relaxes the 50% reduction in tuition fees.
Application forms of all the above scholarships are needed to be filled on the official website with the subject code that the applicant wants to pursue.
An education from RCSI does not just guarantee growth in a career but also ascertains personal growth in a multicultural environment.