Choosing the correct college can be an extremely overwhelming process. While there are many factors that come into play while choosing a college, there is various advice from numerous people which add to the bandwagon of confusion. Due to these reasons, students might end up making a mistake in choosing the correct college for themselves. Picking the right college is an important decision since it lays the foundation for the student’s future.
Mistakes to avoid while choosing their college:
- Following Parents Legacy: One of the most common mistakes made by students is wanting to choose colleges that their parents studied in. While the college may have been reputed during their time, it may not hold the same prestige and infrastructure to suit today’s times. More so, your parent’s goals may have been different from yours. Hence, choosing a college based on just legacy is not always a good idea.
- Making a Hasty Decision: Choosing the right college is a fairly lengthy process. It requires a lot of time and attention since you need to do a lot of research.
- Giving in to Peer Pressure: Students tend to choose their college basis where their friends are going. This could be a lapse in judgement on your part. Your friend may have different goals than you and what may deem fit to them, may not be best suited for you.
- Being Picky About the Travel: It so happens that students tend to look at colleges only within their vicinity. This could lead to the students missing out on many good opportunities. The main goal should be seeing which colleges provide the best education, facilities and infrastructure basis the course they choose.
- Making a Decision Basis Invalid Factors: Factors like the crowd, food, activities become a focal point for young students. While these factors are important, they cannot be the driving force to your decision on which college to choose.
- Not Visiting the College: In today’s world, it is easy to come across as the best due to the influence of advertising. It is important that the student visit the college themselves so as to get the right picture. It would be advisable to speak to alumni of the college as well.
- Assuming the Worst: Many times students believe that they will not get into a particular college due to their high asks. However, this is not always the case. If a college seems attractive to you and you think it would be the best fit for you, you must always try and send in your application.
- Choosing a College Basis Leniency: Students believe that by choosing a college that is lenient in their approach towards attendance would work in their favour. While it may seem to be a correct choice at the moment, you will regret your decision in the future.
- Banking Solely on Reputation: While the reputation of a college is important, it is not always the correct choice for you. Check on their courses and their faculty who teach those particular courses followed by post-college opportunities.
- Cost Being the Focal Point: It is a common belief that more expensive the college, the better it is. This is not true. Moreover, students tend to not apply to good colleges which are expensive which is not right either. Colleges provide scholarships which can help aid the tuition fees.
- Not Checking Reviews: The best way to know about how colleges are is by checking google reviews. It allows you to understand and get feedback from students who have the first-hand experience.
How to Select Right College:
- Shortlist Colleges: Create a list of available colleges first. Then create a list of positives and negatives of each basis which you can create a list of shortlisted colleges. You can then deep dive and do your research to get the best one.
- Create a Priority List: Create a list of your top priorities based on what you want from your desired college. This will help you get a clearer picture when researching colleges.
- Speak to Alumni: After shortlisting colleges, speak to students who are or were a part of that college to get real-time feedback on how the college really is.
To speak to alumni from top colleges across the world, click on https://www.supermentor.me/
- Check Affiliations: Check various affiliations that the colleges have. This will give you a better understanding of career opportunities after college.
- Research, Research and More Research: Choosing the correct college is of grave importance. Make sure you spend as much time and do not hurry the process.