Career Scope for International Students After MBBS/MD from Georgia
Medical universities in Georgia focus more on the practical skills of students rather than just theoretical knowledge. So, the MBBS/MD students from Georgian universities hold remarkable positions across the globe. Universities in Georgia follow the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. Hence, the student can work in any country he/she desires.
After completing medical study in Georgia, students can choose the following career opportunities:
- Practice medicine in Georgia
- Practice medicine in other countries like the UAE and India
- Become a medical practitioner in any Schengen country (Austria, Czech Republic, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Norway, Portugal, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Slovenia, and Switzerland)
- Pursue postgraduate education (Residency, Ph.D.)
Here is a detailed account of all of the opportunities you can grab after medical study (MD) in Georgia
Practice medicine in Georgia
You need a medical license to practice medicine in Georgia. The Georgia Composite Medical Board issues a license to medical graduates. To become a medical practitioner in Georgia, the candidate must be familiar with the country’s native language: Georgian.
The average salary for doctors in Georgia is listed below:
|Physician||146,075 to 363,076 USD*/year (Indeed)|
|Doctor of Veterinary Medicine||74,963 to 154,338 USD*/year (Indeed)|
|Physician assistant||75,963 USD to 154,746 USD*/year (Indeed)|
So, the average doctor’s salary in Georgia is 230,296 USD*/year.
Practice medicine in UAE
Graduates need a license to practice medicine in the UAE. The following are the licensing authorities and the specific territories where you can practice.
|DHA (Dubai Health Authority)||Four Government Hospitals|
|MOH (Ministry of Health)||Northern emirates (excluding Dubai and Abu Dhabi)|
|DHCC (Dubai Healthcare City)||Dubai|
|HAAD (Health Authority Abu Dhabi)||Abu Dhabi|
It takes 2-4 weeks to review the initial application. Students then have to pass the skill and assessment exam followed by an oral assessment.
- Basic medicine degree (MBBS) from a recognized university or college in Georgia
- All the certificates should be as per the guidelines of the WHO listing
- Applicant must have an experience certificate
Average salary- According to Indeed statistics, the average yearly salary for a doctor or physician in the UAE is 72,338 USD/year or 265,704 AED/year.
Practice Medicine in India
A medical aspirant from Georgia needs a license issued by the National Medical Commission (NMC) to practice medicine in India.
Some of the NMC-approved medical colleges in Georgia are
- Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University Tbilisi
- Tbilisi State Medical University
- David Tvildiani Medical University Tbilisi
- East European University Georgia
- Caucasus International University
- ALTE University
Note: As per the latest NMC regulations, All Georgian universities are recognized in India as long as the course duration is more than 54 months. Plus, the courses should have a mandatory 1-year internship in the same country.
The graduate has to appear for the National Medical Commission (NMC) screening test or the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) to get a license.
Examination dates: The authorities conduct this exam twice a year in June and December.
- Basic medicine degree (MBBS) from a Georgian university approved by MCI.
- Documents in support of the candidate having passed the final examination.
- An admit card issued by the National Board of Examinations (NBE).
- Candidate’s photograph (35x45mm), comprising the name of the candidate and the date of capturing at the bottom of the photograph.
- Any of the authorized photo Identities: PAN Card/Driving License/Voter ID/Passport/Aadhar Card.
Average salary: According to Indeed statistics, the average yearly salary for a doctor or physician in India is 6,625 USD* or 24,333 AED.
Postgraduation in Georgia
Students can pursue post-graduation in many medical universities in Georgia to advance their careers. They can go for residency, medical PG, or a PhD. Students who wish to specialize in a particular field of medicine can do so via a residency or PG. Others who want to enter research and academia can choose a PhD.
But, the candidate needs to complete 5 or 6 years of undergraduate medical studies in Georgia beforehand. Medical faculties involve the students in hospitals and health organizations to enhance their knowledge and skills.
Students need to have basic knowledge of the Georgian language while pursuing post-graduation, which is required to deal with patients and understand their problems. They can pursue the foundation course in the Georgian language conducted by the university itself and clear the exam with a B2 level. Residency programs or PG in Georgia require students to clear the state qualification exams for medical specialty seekers.
The following documents are required to take admitted to the postgraduate program-
- CV of the candidate
- Copy of the previous degree
- Passport photographs (3*4)
All medical doctors in Georgia (and around the world) have to undergo training through self-education and participation in formal training programs to keep their licenses active.
*Note: The salaries are converted based on the current exchange rate, 1 Euro = 1.01 USD, 1 AED = 0.27 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.