American University of the Caribbean (AUC) School of Medicine : Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees and Scholarships
AUC School of Medicine is a private medical school that offers medical doctor (MD) degrees for international students through its partnership with University of Central Lancashire. The university offers medical sciences programs to foreign nationals on its UK campus.
The American University of the Caribbean was established in 1978. The main campus is situated in Sint Maarten. Its administrative offices are situated in New Jersey and Florida. The university is owned by Adtalem Global Education.
Almost 7,000 of its graduates are physicians in the United States healthcare system. AUC School of Medicine offers a US-style curriculum that prepares graduates to compete for placement in postgraduate medical education programs in North America and abroad. AUC School of Medicine is known for enriching students with robust learning experiences which helps to work in a diverse environment. The institution also supports a commitment to serve the community and social responsibility among students.
The School is recognized by the UK’s General Medical Council (GMC)+ Graduates of AUC School of Medicine are automatically eligible for PLAB (Professional and Assessment Board) tests and for registration with GMC without an individual assessment. AUC graduates can apply for UK licensure and residency positions through this institutional recognition.
The AUC has received accreditation by the Australian Medical Council (AMC). It’s also listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine (AUC) Rankings
- Rank #365 in the best university globally in the 2016 QS World University Rankings.
- Its national rank is number 1 in Sint Maarten.
Why study at AUC?
- Students are enriched with knowledgeable aspects of medical sciences.
- The world-class training is provided in unique global settings, in which students gain an in-depth understanding of different healthcare systems and patient populations.
- The success and experience of two established universities will provide dual benefits to the students.
- There are various financial aid tools as well as scholarships that students can avail.
- The college welcomes diverse communities from all around the world which makes it a unique college.
Programs & courses Offered at AUC
AUC School of Medicine has led to the initiative of an educational tie up with the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan). It offers the Medical Doctor Degree via the following points of entry:
- Graduate Entry Medical Doctor Degree Program: 4 Year
- Undergraduate Entry Medical Doctor Degree Program: 5.5 Year
Undergraduate Entry Medical Doctor Degree Program (5.5 Year):
UCLan and the AUC School of Medicine have partnered to provide students with an innovative and exciting medical degree pathway.
This degree program is open to qualified all foreign nationals except US citizens who do not have a Bachelor’s degree and who seek a path to completing their medical education.
Students start by pursuing a BSc (Hons) Medical Sciences. It is a fast paced two-year program offered by UCLan, UK. The university provides a unique benefit to students who want to pursue a medical degree that is enriched with a robust curriculum.
Graduate Entry 4 Year Medical Doctor Degree Program:
AUC School of Medicine offers the Medical Doctor degree through a partnership with the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), in Preston, UK.
AUC School of Medicine has received accreditation from the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine. It is recognized by the U.K.’s General Medical Council and the Australian Medical Council.
Annual Tuition fees is USD 47,600. In AED it ranges upto 174,844.32.
Campus and accommodation
The AUC UK campus is located in Preston, Lancashire, UK. The students are provided with top-notch on-campus facilities and opportunities. Students can explore the university online. The college offers a virtual tour to students.
Students have easy access to every modern facility on campus. From the library which is open 24/7 during term time to lecture theatres, cafes, the Students’ Union, and a Medical Centre. The university accommodation is located within a short walk of the campus – so that students don’t have to worry if they are running late.
Sir Tomm Finney Sports Centre is a house of an impressive sports hall, squash court, and two exercise studios.
There is a fully-equipped fitness suite, the CardioZone (a top-notch workout area), and a year-round program of exercise classes.
Studying and living on campus, the university wants to make students feel safe and secure at all times. The campus has a Campus Security Team which can be contacted 24/7 in a week. The campus also runs a free night bus service to drop students at home safely
Admission requirements for international students
|International students||International students can apply for admissions online via Gyanberry Admission Service|
|Selection type||On the basis of entrance examinations and students past academic records and grades|
Admission Requirements for International Students at the American University of Caribbean UK track are as follows:
Admission and Entry Requirements for Graduate programs
High school grades: BBB with a minimum of two science subjects and a third academic subject at A2
A BTEC Diploma in Science (DDM)
You must have 5 GCSEs at a level 6 or higher, including English and Maths
The personal statement should be 750 words long
References from Academics
Requirements to proceed to Semester 3 of the AUC medical sciences curriculum:
BSc (hons) in medical sciences at UCLan:
In order to earn the BSc (Hons) in Medical Sciences degree at UCLan, applicants must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.1 or higher.
Test for medical admission:
Citizens or permanent residents of countries other than the US: MCAT, UCAT, NEET/UG, or GAMSAT.
For Indian citizens, the NEET/UG exam is required to practice in India. An English test is required.
Marks for the following exams which were taken more than 5 years ago will not be considered: MCAT, UCAT, and NEET. GAMSAT scores should not date back more than two years.
Postgraduate/Master’s programs admissions
How to apply: Interested students can get in touch with Gyanberry to know the details of entry requirements and get complete application guidance to study at The American University of Caribbean UK track.
Medical School Prerequisite:
- Biology: 1 year
- General Chemistry: 1 year
- Organic Chemistry: 1 year
- General Physics*: 1 semester
Medical Admissions Test:
Students who are not US citizens or permanent residents will need to take the MCAT, UCAT, NEET/UG, or GAMSAT. The NEET/UG test is required for Indian citizens to practice in India. In terms of scores needed, there is no difference between the tests.
English Proficiency Required:
IELTS scores mandatory for admission are 6.5 or higher. The university recommends 7 bands.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Applicants must have a score of 78 or higher. The university recommends a score above 85 .
- Personal Statement upto 750 words.
- Letters of Recommendation: A letter from an individual academic professor. If that isn’t possible submit two letters of recommendations from the authority.
- CV or Resume: Attach the documents of educational background, employment experiences, and volunteering services.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all schools attended and should be notarized.
For further assistance on entry requirements, visa guidance, and other crucial information, please get in touch with Gyanberry.
|September||The students will the entire summer to prepare for medical school|
|January||Small class size means extra attention.|
|May||Be practice-ready months earlier than September intake students.|
Tuition, fees, and cost of attendance
The table depicts medical sciences tuition and educational fees for a year.
Medical Sciences tuition Costs
|Particulars||Annual Expense in USD||Annual Expense in AED|
|Cost of tuition||$47,600||174,844.32 AED|
|Cost of educational resource fee||$ 500||1836.60 AED|
|Cost of Enrollment Reservation fee||$ 1,000||3,673.20 AED|
|Cost of Housing Security Deposit||$ 1,650||6,060.78 AED|
|The annual cost of attendance||$ 50,750||186,414.90 AED|
Clinical sciences tuition costs
This entails following:
- Cost of tuitions $1,664 PER WEEK
- Cost of health insurance fee 953
- Malpractice insurance per week $ 19 PER WEEK
- Educational resource fees $16 PER WEEK
Scholarships for international students
- International Scholarship
8,000 USD will be awarded each semester in the MD program.
- This scholarship will be provided to all foreign nationals except the USA and Canada.
- Incoming freshmen can avail this.
- The applicant must have an undergraduate degree.
- The applicant must have an offer of admission from AUC.
- Start up Grant
Scholarship amount: This 5,000 USD grant is a one time scholarship opportunity.
- Applicants must have an offer letter of admission to AUC.
- Applicants must submit a completed application prior to deadlines and attend in-person in Preston UK campus.
- Applicants who defer aren’t allowed.
Financial aids that students can avail:
Financial aid is available to students of AUC.
Eligible Foreign nationals can apply and receive federal student loans. These loans can be availed through the Federal Direct Loan Program.
This entails the Direct Unsubsidized and Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.