Arizona State University (ASU): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Arizona State University, founded in 1885, was earlier named the Territorial Normal School and was established to provide education in agriculture and mechanical arts. It was later remanded to the Arizona State College in 1945 and Arizona State University in 1958. Now ASU has become one of the highly renowned universities in the United States and also holds the accreditation of the Higher Learning Commission (HCL).
Arizona State University has 4 major campuses – Tempe, Downtown Phoenix, Polytechnic, and West. The university has close to 120,000 students enrolled across its various campuses, with Tempe alone having a student population of over 70,000. ASU also has over 10,000 international students from 136 countries currently pursuing various degrees at the university. Many students apply to study management, business, and engineering-related courses at ASU. The university has ties with numerous universities and firms both in the US and abroad.
Why study at Arizona State University?
- Arizona State University has been ranked as the most innovative university in the US for the 6th year in a row due to its programs, partnerships, and initiatives.
- ASU is one of the highly renowned universities in the United States and is often opted by students looking to study in the US due to its high quality of education.
- The university has 5 different campuses, giving students the option to select where they would prefer to complete their education.
- ASU is known to have internationally renowned faculty at all its campuses, focusing on high-quality holistic education.
- Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, making it a hub of culture and innovation. Many international students prefer to study in Phoenix due to the fact that the population of international students and workforce is high.
Arizona State University World Rankings
|ARWU (Shanghai Rankings)||101-150|
|QS World Universities Ranking||216|
|QS Subject Ranking (Global) – MBA||101-110|
|Times Higher Education (THE) Universities World Rankings||132|
|THE (Times Higher Education) – PG Business and Economics||44|
|US News & World Report (Global)||165|
|US News & World Report (National)||117|
|US News & World Report – MBA Business Analytics||10|
|US News & World Report – Finance MBA||20|
Programs and courses offered by ASU
Bachelor’s, Master’s, Post-Master’s certificates, Doctor’s degree (professional practice) and Doctor’s Degree (research).
Given below is a list of popular Bachelor’s Courses offered at Arizona State University.
|Course||Accelerated Course Option (Bachelor+Mater) 4+1 years||Campus/ Location|
|Accountancy||Yes||Tempe, West, ASU Local|
|Anthropology||Yes||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Applied Biological Sciences||Yes||Polytechnic|
|Biotechnology and Bioenterprise||Yes||West|
|Business Administration||Yes||Polytechnic, West, Havasu, ASU Local|
|Corporate Accounting – Business||No||ASU Local|
|Computer Information Systems||No||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Computer Science – Cybersecurity||Yes||Tempe|
|Counselling and Applied Psychological Sciences||No||Polytechnic, ASU Local|
|Data Science||No||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Forensic Science||No||West, ASU Local|
|Health Sciences||Yes||ASU Local|
|Information Technology||Yes||Polytechnic, ASU Local|
|Management||Yes||Polytechnic, West, Tempe, ASU Local|
|Marketing||Yes||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Mechanical Engineering||Yes||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Medical Studies||No||Downtown Phoenix, Polytechnic, West|
|Neuroscience||Yes||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Nursing||Yes||Downtown Phoenix, ASU Local|
|Organizational Leadership||Yes||Downtown Phoenix, ASU Local|
|Philosophy, ASU Local||Yes||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Psychology||Yes||West, ASU Local, Tempe|
|Sociology||No||Tempe, ASU Local|
|Software Engineering||Yes||Polytechnic, ASU Local|
Given below is a list of popular Master’s courses offered by the Arizona State University.
|Accountancy||Tempe, Los Angeles|
|Biological Data Science||West|
|MBA – Business Analytics||Tempe|
|MBA – Information Systems Management||Tempe|
|LLM (Law)||Downtown Phoenix|
|Nursing||Downtown Phoenix, Tempe|
|Robotics and Autonomous Systems||Polytechnic, Tempe|
|Social Work||Downtown Phoenix, West|
Campus and accommodation
Arizona State University has 4 main campuses – Tempe, West, Downtown Phoenix, and Polytechnic. Among these, the Tempe campus is the university’s first and largest campus. International students can access on-campus housing and accommodation on all four campuses.
Arizona State University provides its students with ‘a fully-immersive living experience’.
- Campus housing is close to the university library and class buildings.
- Students have access to all-inclusive housing, utilities, internet, and cable.
- ASU also ensures the safety and security of the students residing in campus accommodation.
- Students have a sense of community in the resident halls.
- Students can opt for various meal plans and dine at the cafeteria. They are also provided with quick snacks and flexible food options depending on their preferences.
Admission requirements for international students at ASU
To apply for undergraduate courses applicants must have received at least a 3.00 GPA (a B or A) in their Senior Secondary exam. Applicants may also be required to submit ACT or SAT test scores or results based on the program requirements.
- Applicants may apply while in the last year of high school with results from years 9 to 11.
- Applicants who have completed their high school need to provide grades and results from years 10 to 12.
- All applicants need to submit their high school diploma or certificate.
- Applicants need to submit English proficiency test results.
Students may receive a conditional acceptance which will be valid for the first 3 semesters during which they would be required to submit English proficiency scores.
Test Scores Required:
TOEFL – ASU accepts only TOEFL iBT ® or TOEFL pBT test results. The university does not accept TOEFL iBT® Home Edition or TOEFL Indicator exams.
TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) Scores Required:
|Jounalism and Mass Communication||100|
TOEFL pBT (paper-based test) Scores Required:
|Jounalism and Mass Communication||72|
IELTS – ASU accepts IELTS Academic, IELTS UKVI, and IELTS Indicator exams.
|Jounalism and Mass Communication||7.0|
PTE – ASU accepts PTE scores.
|Nursing||PTE not accepted.|
|Jounalism and Mass Communication||73|
ACT/SAT – Students may be required to submit ACT or SAT scores depending on the program selected.
To apply to the Arizona State University, students must have:
- Studied maths for fours years,
- Studied laboratory sciences for three years.
Requirements for UAE students
- Secondary School Leaving Certificate
- English proficiency test results
- Minimum overall grade/marks – 80/100%
Requirements for Indian Students
- Higher Secondary Scool Certificate
- English Proficiency test results
- Minimum overall grade/marks – 50/100%
Students need to provide proof of Bachelor’s education and meet a minimum GPA requirement.
- Applicants must have received a minimum of 3.00 on 4.00 GPA or a grade of B.
- Applicants are required to submit GMAT or GRE scores depending on the program selected.
- Applicants must have received a Bachelor’s degree equivalent to a US undergraduate degree.
- International applicants whose degrees are not in English need to submit translated transcripts to the university.
- International applicants also need to acquire a student visa to study at ASU.
- Applicants may submit the visa form with the application form to accelerate the process in case of a selection.
- Letters of Recommendation
- Undergraduate Degree (original and translated)
- GRE/GMAT scores
- English proficiency test results
English Proficiency Test Scores
Requirements for UAE Students
- Undergraduate Degree equivalent to US undergraduate degree – Bachelor’s 4 years
- Englsih Proficiency test results.
Requirements for Indian Students
- Undergraduate Degree equivalent to US undergraduate degree – Bachelor’s 4 years or Bachelor’s+Master’s
- English Proficiency test results.
Tuition, Fees, and Total Cost of Attendance
|Cost Category||Undergraduate (USD)||Undergraduate
|Undergraduate College Fees||1,800||6,600||N/A||N/A|
|Graduate Support Fees||N/A||N/A||250||900|
The Arizona State University also provides a total annual estimate of how much it would cost an international student to study at the University. This estimate is based on an average amount and may vary depending on student preferences and lifestyle.
|Cost Category||Undergraduate (USD)||Undergraduate (AED)||Postgraduate (USD)||Postgraduate (AED)|
|Accommodation and Meal Plan||13,500||49,600||12,200||44,800|
|Books and Study Material||1,300||4,800||1,100||4,100|
Additionally, international students are also required to pay a Visa Admin Fees of 200 USD or 735 AED.
The average annual expenditure of international students looking to study at Arizona State University comes up to 55,000 USD or 2,02,000 AED for undergraduate students; and 49,500 USD or 182,000 AED for graduate students.
Scholarships for international students
New American University (NAMU) Scholarships – Arizona State University offers merit-based scholarships to a limited number of international undergraduate students. Students must have demonstrated high academic achievement.
College and Departmental Scholarships – Colleges and departments offer certain awards and scholarships to students depending on their academic performance.
Financial Aid – Students can apply for jobs at the university and outside. Students are also eligible to apply for private scholarships.
To gain more information about Arizona State University, contact Gyanberry counseling services.
Career outcomes and average salaries of ASU Graduates
According to the data reported by ASU Career and Professional Development Services, the following favorable outcomes were outlined for ASU graduates between Summer 2019 and Spring 2020.
- 87% of graduates (masters and doctoral students) were employed within 6 months of graduation with a median salary of 64,000 USD.
- 83% of undergraduate students were employed within 6 months of graduation with a median salary of 55,000 USD.
- Some of the top employers included Amazon, Intel, American Express, Honeywell, Starbucks, Banner Health, the Boeing Company, and more.