Eastern Mediterranean University : Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Eastern Mediterranean University was established in 1979 as a state university in northern Cyprus, covering an area of over 2,200 acres. The university is recognized by the council of higher education, Turkey.
The multicultural environment of the university is making it stand out from other universities with around 16,000 students from almost 85 countries. Also, faculty members from 35 countries on campus promote a multicultural environment.
Additionally, the university has opened over 100 undergraduate programs and settled agreements around the world with about 80 institutions of higher education for international collaboration and exchange programs.
Social and cultural activities held at the university every year are also a center of attraction for students around the globe.
Eastern Mediterranean University Rankings
- Eastern Mediterranean University has received an excellent ranking by WEBOMETRICS (ranking web of universities) to come under the best 5% among 25,000 universities across the world.
- Also, the university is ranked within the top 7% among 6,000 European universities.
- EMU has also ranked 173rd within universities under BRICS & Emerging Economies University Rankings.
- Times Higher Education world university rankings have stated EMU in the 601-800 ranking band globally.
- EMU is also ranked within the top 200 Postgraduate programs by Eduniversal (Masters Ranking) for master of communication, banking and finance, media studies, business administration, and marketing programs.
Why study at Eastern Mediterranean University?
- Eastern Mediterranean University offers a student exchange program to spend one or two-semester at other universities across 13 countries (like America, Canada, Italy, Austria, South Korea, China) that have collaborated with EMU.
- A good number of international students are provided 50% and 25% scholarships.
- Various sports facilities are provided by EMU to students with an open area of 66,500 m2. Modern Stadium covers an area of 5,000 seats, a cardio center, a Tartan athletics track, and much more.
- All extra facilities are available inside the campus itself such as a library, sports complex (can cover as many as 3,500 seats), computer laboratories, and cultural activity centers.
Programs & Courses Offered at Eastern Mediterranean University
Various applicants across the globe apply for associate, undergraduate, and postgraduate programs at EMU.
There are 80+ undergraduate programs. Some fields are the most preferred ones by applicants such as business administration, mathematics, banking and finance, chemistry, civil engineering, computer and science engineering, law, medicine, etc.
There are numerous programs offer for applicants applying for master (with thesis) programs. Mostly preferred ones belong to field of mathematics, physics, mechanical engineering, political science and international relations, nursing, etc.
Most preferred ones in master (without thesis) programs are in the field of communication and media studies, economics, electrical and electronics engineering, psychology, arts, humanities, and social sciences.
Campus and & accommodation at Eastern Mediterranean University
EMU boasts a high-quality standard campus with 50 student clubs that organize social and cultural activities. Also, international student associations are an add-on to university life. 13 specialist doctors with well-equipped health centers are also structured within the university campus.
The university building is spread over 5,700 m2 and can accommodate seating of up to 846 people. It’s the biggest congress center in the region.
Rauf Raif Denktas Culture and Congress Center is located 500 m far from the beach and is situated in the north part of the university campus. Also, to provide direct services for university students, there are over 30 research centers. Center for Graduate Communications and Career Research and Center for Psychological Counseling, Guidance and Research (PDRAM) give multiple benefits to students in the university.
Subsequently, Students find it extremely easy to reach out to various facilities such as libraries, sports complexes, computer laboratories, etc as they’re available within the campus.
Accommodation at Eastern Mediterranean University
Dormitories provide accommodation to around 11,000 students. As per university standards, to avoid discomfort among students and the adaptation period, all personal needs like transportation, nutrition, food, cleaning, etc are provided on the campus only.
EMU has majorly 4 types of dormitories along with privately-owned dormitories
|Laundry Facilities||Available||Not Available||Available||Not Available|
|Activity Hall||Available||Not Available||Not Available||Not Available|
|Kitchen on Each Floor||Available||Available||Available||Available|
|Dormitory Capacity||346 beds||378 beds||304 beds||190 beds|
|Number of Rooms||124||179||76||65|
- EMU-2 also has standard double and triple rooms of 16 m2 and 27 m2 respectively with all the above facilities along with AC with internet access.
- EMU-3 also has standard double and double corner rooms of 12 m2 and 10 m2 respectively with all the above facilities along with AC with internet access.
- EMU-4 also has quadruple rooms of 30 m2 with all the above facilities along with AC with internet access.
- Sabanci also has triple rooms of 14 m2 with all the above facilities along with AC with internet access.
Admission Requirements for International Students
Applicants can apply for undergraduate programs twice a year while applicants can apply for graduate programs for the whole year before a month before every semester.
A decent acceptance rate of 45% (approximately) is reflected in past years for EMU admissions. Below are given the requirements to meet the eligibility criteria-
|Application portal||Online application on the official website||Online application on the official website|
|One- passport size
|Certificate||Photocopies of higher secondary school certificate||Photocopies of certificate of degree|
|Certified copy of passport/ birth certificate||Required||Required|
|EMU English Proficiency Exam||Required||Required|
Students from the UAE registering for medicine and dentistry undergraduate programs need a minimum of 80% aggregate in their secondary school certificate. 70% aggregate is required for pharmacy programs and a minimum of 60% aggregate is required for all other undergraduate programs.
Tuition, fees, and annual cost of attendance
|Faculty||Average annual tuition for undergraduates(inclusive of double-room rent and 3-meals per day package )|
|Arts & Sciences||10,899 USD|
|Business & Economics||10,899 USD|
|Communication & Media||10,899 USD|
|Education||10,899 USD- 12,841 USD|
|Health Sciences||48,914 USD (exercise & sports sciences, health management);
17,314 USD (nursing, nutrition & dietetics, physiotherapy & rehabilitation)
|Computing & Technology||10,898 USD|
|Tourism & Hospitality Management||11,130 USD|
Scholarships for international students
A large number of international students is provided 50% and 25% scholarships.
Scholarships that are provided to undergraduate programs-
- All-inclusive scholarships–
International applicants who have studied in the top 1% of secondary schools of their home country are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This scholarship provides benefits like free accommodation in a double room with 3 meals a day.
Additionally, this scholarship is granted to only September intakes.
- Tuition Fee Waivers-
Among all applicants from one country, only the top 2 students are granted this scholarship as per the university entrance exam. The EMU Board of Trustees approves the list of results of international standardized test results. This scholarship provides leniency in the academic programs only.
- High Honor Award-
Students who have received a ‘high honor’ degree in their respective undergraduate programs with a minimum GPA of 3.50 are eligible to apply for this scholarship. The GPA is calculated at the end of the second semester.
The award is honored as follows-
- 1st ranking students are provided with three times the gross minimum wage.
- 2nd ranking students are provided with double gross minimum wage.
- 3rd ranking students are provided with one gross minimum wage.
Also, adding on to the fact, only top 10 ranking students are honored with ‘high honor award’.
- Sports Grant-
For excellent performance in sports, EMU grants the scholarship to students. The students are facilitated with relaxation in tuition fees along with the accommodation fee.
- Student Assistantship-
This position exists in multiple departments and faculties. It applies to all students provided that they have a 2.0 GPA or above. At the beginning of the semester, vacancies are announced for the same.
- Research Assistantship-
This applies to students who have applied for any of the post-graduate programs in EMU only. The student will get exemption from tuition fee if passed the scholarship criteria. Faculties allot the position of research assistant at the end of every semester to graduate students.
If an applicant’s sibling is already studying at EMU then the first two siblings will receive a discount of 25% each. In case of more than two siblings, the third sibling and onwards will receive a 75% discount in tuition fees.
Post-graduate applicants will receive a discount of 10% for siblings from the university itself provided that they’re not receiving any support or relaxation from their tuition fee.
- TRNC Government Scholarship-
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus scholarship is granted to successful applicants who have applied for the scholarship in Eastern Mediterranean University.
Scholarships that are provided for graduate programs-
Scholarship opportunities for tuition fee relaxation are available for the master’s program for all international students.
- International applicants are granted a 50% scholarship on their tuition fee after their acceptance decision for the respective program. The information from the university for the scholarship is mentioned in the letter of acceptance.
- Discounts- Applicants who have enrolled in post-graduate programs will receive a discount of 10% for siblings from the university itself provided that they’re not receiving any support or relaxation for their tuition fee.
- Students who have received 100% scholarships will be appointed as “Category ‘E’ Research Assistant position” and with the same, they are expected to work for a minimum of 5 hours per week in administrative or academic units as instructed by the university.
In case, a student fails to do so under any circumstances, he/she will not be allowed to keep the scholarship.
Students can only choose from one scholarship from many. he/she will not be eligible for any other scholarship if already receiving perks of any other scholarship for which he/she might have enrolled earlier.