Emporia State University (ESU): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Emporia State Institution is a public university located in Emporia, Kansas. Emporia State University was founded in March 1863 as the Kansas State Normal School. It is Kansas’ third-oldest public university. The Kansas Board of Regents oversees six public universities, including Emporia State.
Offering more than 200 academic programs the ESU has a total student enrollment of 5,800. Emporia State University is the only public university in Kansas with a College of Distinction status.
The university’s four colleges and schools, the School of Business, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, School of Library and Information Management, and The Teachers College, provide degrees in more than 80 fields of study.
Why study at the Emporia State University?
- The institute is a lightly competitive university to get into, with an acceptance rate of 85 percent.
- With a nearly 97 percent employment rate, it is a popular choice among overseas students looking to study in the United States.
- Emporia State University has the safest campus in the state of Kansas.
- They offer a diverse range of courses to meet your requirements.
- Almost every course you’ll take will be taught by faculty. All of our professors hold a Ph.D. in their respective professions and have substantial professional experience.
Emporia State University Rankings
- Ranked #82 in Regional Universities Midwest by US News & World Report
- Ranked #20 in Top Public Schools, Regional Universities Midwest by US News & World Report
- Ranked #52 out of 921 for Best Colleges for Education in America by Niche
- Ranked #4 in Kansas by edurank in its university ranking
Programs and courses offered at ESU
Emporia State University offers more than 200 academic programs at the undergraduate and graduate level through its various schools and colleges listed below.
- College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- School of Library & Information Management
- The School of Business
- The Teachers College
- Graduate School
- Honors College
Some of the most popular majors offered at ESU are Elementary Education, Business, Liberal Arts & Humanities, Psychology, Accounting, Information Science, Nursing, Marketing, and Public Health.
The average annual tuition and fees for undergraduate programs offered at Emporia State University are USD 20,182 for international students.
The average annual tuition and fees for graduate programs at Emporia State University are USD 15,808 for international students.
Campus and accommodation
ESU makes it easy to live on campus and have everything at your fingertips with a selection of on-campus eating and housing options. From a beautiful new resident hall to a variety of food options, there’s something for everyone.
Different on-campus living options for Freshmen and Upperclassmen are:
|Residential Hall||Room options||Price (one semester)|
|SCHALLENKAMP HALL||Double – One bedroom shared by two students||3,050 USD|
|TOWERS COMPLEX||Double – One bedroom shared by two students
Suites – Two bedrooms adjoining an unfurnished living room shared by four students
Private/Single – One bedroom assigned to one student
|ABIGAIL MORSE HALL||Double – One bedroom shared by two students
Private/Single – One bedroom assigned to one student
Admission requirements for international students
Steps for admission process of international undergraduate students are:
- Submit an application for admission. To process your application, you must pay a non-refundable application fee of US $60.00.
- Submit a scholarship application.
- Get your entrance package in the mail.
- Submit an application for a student visa.
Requirements for new freshmen are:
- High school completion with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above.
- ACT or SAT test scores are not required for undergraduate international student candidates, except for athletes but you may be eligible for academic scholarships if you take these tests.
Steps for the admission process of international graduate students are:
- Submit an application for admission. A non-refundable application fee of $85.00 is also necessary in order to process your application.
- Research and prepare any prerequisites for the programme to which you are applying.
- In the “Supplemental Items” area of your application portal, upload the required documents.
- Submit a financial guarantee statement attesting to the funding sources and quantities. International students must present proof of funding for two semesters of study at Emporia State University (one semester exchange/visiting students only need to show proof of funds for one semester).
- Attach a scan of your passport’s information page. Your photo and name must be visible in this scan.
- Get your acceptance package: Order a courier delivery of your admission materials (containing your acceptance letter and I-20/DS-2019 form).
- Fill out an application for a student visa.
Requirements for graduate students are:
- GPA is important but it varies by the academic program.
- Official English proficiency test (TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English Test) scores should be submitted by non-native English speakers. If you do not submit a test score, you will be required to take an English placement exam when you arrive at Emporia State University.
- For students who want to improve their communication abilities, Emporia State University offers beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses.
- The length of time it takes to complete the Intensive English Program is determined by the student’s English Proficiency Test score, as well as his or her initiative and performance in class. Depending on their placement results, students may be authorized to enroll in one or more academic courses while enrolled in the Intensive English Program.
Where to Apply: International students can apply via Gyanberry Admission Services or directly through the university website.
Tuition, fees, and cost of attendance
Fees are computed differently for graduate and undergraduate students. Tuition for undergraduate students is set at a fixed rate. Graduate students are billed based on the number of credit hours they have taken.
|Expenses||NON-RESIDENT UNDERGRADUATE||NON-RESIDENT GRADUATE|
|Tuition + Fees||20,182 USD||15,808 USD|
|Living expenses||8,648 USD||8,144 USD|
|Misc. costs||4,000 USD||4,000 USD|
|Total||32,866 USD||27,922 USD|
Scholarships for International Students
The Emporia State University offers a range of scholarships for international students to make their education more affordable. These scholarships are
- Presidential Scholarships: Scholarships are awarded on the basis of GPA as well as standardized test scores. The award amount ranges between USD 850-3,000 per year.
- International Ambassador Scholarships: Up to 12 scholarships with an award amount of USD 400 per semester are awarded to incoming first-year international students based on their GPA and leadership qualities.
To avail these scholarships, international students must have a minimum of 3.0 high school GPA.