Hollins University: Rankings, Courses, Admission Process, Fees & Scholarships for International Students
Hollins University is a private institution providing a comprehensive liberal arts education in Roanoke, Virginia. It was established in 1842 and is one of the oldest women’s colleges in the US.
With a total student population of 798, Hollins University enrolls 668 undergraduate women and 130 coed graduate students. It has a diverse student body that comprises 26% of students of color and 22 different nationalities. While undergraduate programs at Hollins are reserved for women only, the graduate and certificate programs accept male applicants.
|University Type||Private University|
|Year of Establishment||1842|
|Total Enrollment||811 (713 women and 108 co-ed students)|
|International Student Percentage||6-7%|
|Application Deadline for International Students||Priority application deadline: 1st Feb|
|Number of Academic Faculties||1 (Liberal Arts)|
|Scholarships for International Students||Available|
Why study at Hollins University?
Hollins is a small university with a faculty/student ratio of 1:9 and an average class size of 12. 95% of the full-time faculty at Hollins possess the highest degree of qualification in their field.
Students get to learn in a small and inclusive environment where everyone is paid attention to, and they also get it from a highly qualified faculty.
Hollins University Rankings 2022
- According to the U.S. News 2022 Best Colleges, Hollins is ranked:
- #105 in the National Liberal Arts Category
- #16 in Social Mobility
- #32 on the Best Value Schools list
- Hollins is among the “Best 387 Colleges” for 2022 by the Princeton Review
- According to Niche’s 2022 Best Colleges Rankings, Hollins is ranked:
- #7 among the Best Women’s Colleges in America
- #3 among the Best Small Colleges in Virginia
- #1 in the Best Colleges with no application fee in Virginia
- Princeton Review’s ‘Best Value Colleges’ for 2021 has placed Hollins at:
- #5 in the Best Alumni Network for private schools
- #12 in Best Private Schools for Internships
Other factors which make Hollins University a desirable higher study destination are:
- More than 75% of students at Hollins complete one or more internships during their study period
- The Batten Leadership Institute at Hollins provides unparalleled leadership training, preparing its students for leadership roles across various sectors
- Hollins is among the best liberal arts colleges in the country, with its creative writing, film studies, and performing arts programs globally renowned
- Being a women’s college, students of Hollins University enjoy a strong alumnae network which opens up immense possibilities for careers and internships
- 95% of the graduates at Hollins land a job within a year of their degree completion, making it a career.
Programs and tuition for international students at Hollins
The university provides a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs for international and domestic students. Undergraduate students can choose from 25 unique majors in three types of degree options: bachelor of arts (BA), bachelor of fine arts (BFA), and bachelor of science.
Popular majors at Hollins include Visual & Performing Arts, English Language & Literature, Biology, Business, Psychology, Journalism, Communication, and Environmental Science.
Some of the main courses offered at Hollins University have been tabulated below:
|Program Name||Annual Tuition|
|Undergraduate programs||39,360 USD or 144,567 AED*|
|Creative Writing MFA||22,320 USD or 81,980 AED*|
|Certificate of Advanced Studies||16,600 USD or 60,972 AED*|
The annual cost of attendance at Hollins
In addition to the tuition, students have to cover other expenses such as room and board, supplies, etc. The annual cost of attendance (2022-2023) for an international student pursuing an undergraduate degree program at Hollins is:
|Room and Board||14,660 USD|
|Orientation Fee||225 USD|
|Medical insurance expenses||2,000 USD|
|Books & supplies||800 USD|
|Mailbox & rental fee||62 USD|
|Total||60,502 USD or 222,225 AED*|
*Conversion done at the rate of 1 USD= 3.67 AED. The exchange rate is subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for international students at Hollins
International students are taken into consideration for merit-based and need based-scholarships at the time of their application submission. The university provides 29 million USD in financial aid and scholarships to its students every year.
Even though most scholarships are for domestic students, specifically for the residents of Virginia, international students still get some assistance to make their stay at Hollins more affordable.
International Friendship Awards are available to non-US citizens. A minimum of 24,000 USD is given per year to qualifying students based on academic merit and financial need.
Academic Merit Scholarship is a minimum of 23,000 USD awarded to undergraduate international students based on their academic record.
Global Commitment Scholarship is available to first-year full-time international undergraduate students. A separate application and an essay are required to apply for the same, and the admissions office decides the finalists based on their application and an online interview.
The international student admission process at Hollins University
- Admissions at Hollins University are not very selective. The undergraduate acceptance rate at Hollins for the 2020 fall semester was 81.5%. Out of 3,056 total applicants, 2,476 were offered a place at the university.
- High school GPA, Admission Test Scores (SAT/ACT). However, students may apply for a waiver from SAT/ACT score requirement if they can submit alternative standardized testing scores, such as Cambridge, IB, or AP.
- Secondary School Records, Recommendations, and Proof of English Language Proficiency are the mandatory requirements for entry into Hollins.
Undergraduate applicants can apply directly to the university or via the Common App without any application fee.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2022, for regular admission to undergraduate programs starting in Fall 2022.
Graduate students need to apply directly on the university website and pay an application fee of 40 USD for each program.
Application deadlines for graduate programs at Hollins University vary.
Hollins University Admissions Requirements
|Admission interview||Recommended for respective courses|
|Application deadline||February 1|
|Required standardized tests||Either SAT or ACT|
|SAT/ACT scores must be received by||July 1|
|English Language Proficiency||IELTS: 6.5 or above
TOEFL iBT- 80 or above
Bachelors Programs Admission Requirements
- Students must submit their high school transcripts with a 65% aggregate or a similar grade.
- The university might request a program-specific interview or a smart online test if required.
- Proof of English language proficiency.
- Standardized test scores, SAT or ACT (can be exempted if the candidate has Cambridge, IB, or AP score).
- One letter of recommendation or secondary school report.
Masters & Other Programs Admission Requirements
- Students must have completed their Bachelor’s degree with a decent percent of more than 70-75% to get admission to the University.
- Students should aim at securing 6.5/7 bands in IELTS or 80 in TOEFL iBT to prove their English Proficiency.
- Letters of recommendation (number varies depending on the program)
- Statement of purpose/educational objective.
- Proof of availability of funds.
Additional documents may be required depending on the program. To get more information regarindg the eligibility criteria, get in touch with Gyanberry.
Career Prospects for International Students
Hollins University is rated among the top 20 best schools for internship placement. 95% of graduates get employed or enrolled in graduate school within a year. The University has a center for career development, which regularly conducts workshops related to employment, how to find jobs, and networking effectively.
Additionally, The Career Compass Program of the University provides detailed instruction and guidance to students on the steps to be taken during their studies at the university for effective career progress.
Working in the USA after Graduation
After graduation, an international student must find a job within 90 days to get a post-study work visa (F1 Visa). This Visa is valid for 12 months and is extendable by 24 months for STEM students. For beyond this period, the type of visa varies depending upon the nature and stream of work.