Russia has been popular among medicine aspirants all over the world. It is well-known for providing high-quality medical education. According to the World Health Organization‘s (WHO) listings, Russia has backed 30 of the top 100 medical universities. All of these universities are recognized by the WHO and the Medical Councils of various leading countries. Due to global recognition, medical graduates from Russia can easily practice as doctors worldwide. Presently, Russian medical alumni are working in leading hospitals worldwide.
A very affordable fee by the Russian Ministry of Health and Education compared to other countries is another reason why Russia is preferred over other European countries. Additionally, out of 70 universities for medicine in Russia, 12 universities provide medical programs in English. Thus, there is no language barrier for students to study medicine in Russia. This article discusses the popular medical universities in Russia, as well as their tuition and other prerequisites.
Why study Medicine in Russia?
Russian medical universities are evolving rapidly, many of which rank high in world education rankings. Here are some reasons to choose Russia for your medical studies.
- Russian medical universities are globally affiliated and accredited.
- They are recognized by the World Health Organization and Medical Council of leading countries like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, the Middle East, Australia, India, Canada, etc.
- They offer a very affordable and standardized fee structure as most are funded by the Russian government. The Russian government has provided a 70% subsidy for medical studies at Russian universities.
- The universities are very well furnished in infrastructure, technical advances, and lecturers.
- Many of them offer their courses in English Medium.
- Most Russian universities provide MCI Screening Test Coaching. As a result, graduates perform great in the FMGE exam, placing them among India’s leading hospitals and companies.
- Medical universities in Russia impart education in a goal-oriented manner that focuses on extensive skill development.
- Russian medical universities offer exciting career opportunities to their graduates.
- Renowned alumni family of Russian medical universities is also proof of Russia’s worldwide stature in medical studies.
Popular Medical universities in Russia
Here is a list of some popular medical universities in Russia along with their regional and worldwide rankings.
|University Name||QS Ranking (2022, Medicine)||National Ranking- CWUR (2022)|
|Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University||301-350||23|
|Lomonosov Moscow State University||251-300||1|
|Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University||401-450||NA|
|Pavlov University, St. Petersburg||451-500||NA|
|Saint Petersburg State University||451-500||7|
|Novosibirsk State University||601-650||4|
|Astrakhan State Medical University||NA||NA|
|Tambov State University||NA||NA|
Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University Moscow
Sechenov University is the largest and oldest research medical school in Russia. Its history dates back to the establishment of the medical faculty at Imperial Moscow University in 1758. It has a student body of about 3,000 international students.
Minimum entry requirements:
For admission to undergraduate medical-related programs (medicine, pediatrics, dentistry, pharmacy, and nursing), students must have studied the following subjects at school:
No minimum grades are required, all students with passing grades are eligible to apply.
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow
Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU) is a public research university founded in 1755. It hosts over 10,000 international students from 50 countries around the world. It ranked first in the country-wise ranking. The institute provides all the necessary conditions for its students to gain the best standards of medical education. During the coursework, students are also involved in research at the leading Moscow laboratories.
- Originals or copies of a copy of the school leaving certificate (High school diploma)
- Originals or copies of academic records (transcript with the list of studied disciplines and marks)
- Copy of the first two pages of passport/ID with a notarized translation into Russian
- 2 photos (3×4)
- English language test score level equivalent to IELTS 6.0
- University entrance exam
- Autumn Semester (April 30th)
- Spring Semester (November 15th)
Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow
Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University is the first organization in Russia to provide women with the opportunity to get a higher medical education. This university was also the first in the world to establish a Faculty of Pediatrics, serving as a model for the foundation of such departments in other universities. The school of Biomedicine established in 1963, was also the first in the world.
- Chemistry, Biology — for international students coming in for training using English
- Chemistry, Biology, Russian language — for students coming in for training using Russian
Always before June 30th every year
Pavlov University, St. Petersburg
The Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University was founded in 1897 as the Medical Institute for Women. The university is a state educational organization and has a state license and state accreditation from the Russian Federation Ministry of Health.
- School transcripts
- Passport size photographs
- Authorization of documents
- Legalization of documents from the Russian Embassy
- University entrance exam
Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg
Established in 1724, Saint Petersburg State University is the oldest institution of higher education and one of the best places to study in Russia. Today, the university has effectively merged tradition with innovation, and it is one of the world’s premier educational, scientific, and cultural institutions. The University is proud to produce nine Nobel Laureates in various fields like physiology, medicine, chemistry, physics, economics, and literature. Moreover, two presidents of the Russian Federation and six government leaders are Saint Petersburg alumni. Every year, over 3,000 international students from over 100 countries attend the university.
- Duly filled application form
- Educational certificate/diploma (or its notarized copy) and its transcript (in case it is provided by the legal system of a foreign state that issued the certificate/diploma)
- Copy of identity document
- Copy of entry visa to the Russian Federation (if applicable)
- Copy of migration card
- Stay regulations for Foreign Citizens in Russian Federation
- 4 photographs 3×4
Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk State University is a Russian public university located in the non-official capital of Siberia. It sits in the middle of Akademgorodok, a world-renowned scientific center. In world rankings, the university is ranked among the top 2% of all universities.
- Filled application form
- Passport (original and notarized translation into Russian)
- An education certificate including studied subjects and grades (original and notarized translation into Russian)
- HIV testing certificate
- 6 Photographs 3×4 cm
3 April to 16 June 2023
Tambov State University (TSU), Tambov
Tambov State University was founded in 1918 and is a Russian state university. Although the university offers over 150 programs, the medicine and dentistry programs are well-known. The University of Tambov has been recognized by the WHO for its medical programs, which adds to the institution’s reputation.
- Completed online application form available on the university’s website
- Transcripts and academic documents in Russian that have been translated and notarized
- Notarized and translated passport copy
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (UNN)
Another good choice to study Medicine in Russia is the Lobachevsky State University. Established in 1916, it is quite famous for its programs in general medicine and dentistry. The Lobachevsky State University ranks 29 among the top universities in Russia.
- Online application form given on the university website
- Translated and notarized transcripts and academic documents in Russian
- Original passport notarized and translated
- Translated medical certificate
Cost of Medical programs in Russia
The fee structure and other details have been tabulated below:
|University||Acceptance Rate||Annual Tuition Fee in USD* 2022-23
|Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University||–||11,800|
|Lomonosov Moscow State University||–||8,450|
|Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University||70-80%||9,000|
|Saint Petersburg State University||14%||6,408|
|Novosibirsk State University||15%||6,500|
|Tambov State University (TSU)||–||–|
|Lobachevsky State University||–||3,969|
*Note: All prices mentioned in the USD are for reference only. Exchange rates may vary from time to time and from country to country.
Many medical universities in Russia do not conduct entrance exams. Furthermore, the fee for medical courses in Russia is low since the Russian government heavily subsidizes education. All Russian medical universities are recognized by the World Health Organization and other international bodies, therefore a student who earns a medical degree in Russia can practice anywhere in the world. The study standards are quite remarkable. Additionally, international students are also taught Russian language to interact effectively with patients during their medical practice.