Semmelweis University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Semmelweis University is the largest medical training institution in Hungary. It was established in 1769 and has successfully completed 250 years in providing medical education.
The University offers single long-cycle programs and post-graduate training apart from their bachelor’s and master’s programs under six different faculties. International students account for nearly one-third of the 11,000 students studying at the University. Semmelweis University is one of the top medical universities in Hungary for international students.
Semmelweis University has a prominent place in the country which is demonstrated by the fact that approximately 42 percent of Hungary’s doctors, 70 percent of its dentists, 50 percent of its pharmacists, and 27 percent of its health care professionals are Semmelweis graduates. In addition to that, Semmelweis University is the largest provider of healthcare services in Hungary.
Why study at Semmelweis University?
- One of the top medical universities in Hungary.
- Globally recognized programs providing theoretical and practical knowledge.
- One of the world’s largest international universities comprising one-third of the total population.
- One of Hungary’s largest health care providers.
- Over 30 years of experience in international education.
- Students from over 70 countries and 5 continents.
Semmelweis University rankings
According to US News, Semmelweis University is ranked:
- #633 in Best Global Universities.
- #266 in Best Global Universities in Europe.
- #2 in Best Global Universities in Hungary
Programs and courses offered at Semmelweis University
Semmelweis University offers single long cycle programs and post-graduate training apart from their bachelor’s and master’s programs.
Single long-cycle programs
|Pharmaceutical Sciences||5 years|
Semmelweis University’s Faculty of Health Science offers bachelor’s in science programs (BSc) in the following specializations.
- Medical Diagnostic Analysis (Optometry)
- Health Visitor
Semmelweis University’s Faculty of Health Science offers Master’s of science programs(MSc) in 2 specializations namely.
Campus and accommodation
Semmelweis University is located in the heart of the Hungarian capital. Budapest is a cultural hub with lots of entertainment and vibrant nightlife. The city is also home to several universities and colleges.
Semmelweis University does not provide dormitory or hostel facilities. However, they have an official housing department that provides assistance for students to find accommodation in Hungary.
Another option is the Dean’s College Hotel which is located in the neighborhood of the college. They provide cosy apartments with all facilities including an in-room bathroom and a fully equipped kitchenette.
Admission requirements for international students
- Application: Online or through Gyanberry Admission Services
- Application fee: 350-450 USD
- Documents required:
- School Leaving Certificate from an accredited high school or senior secondary school.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of passport
- Passport-size photo
- Medical Certificate
- Entrance exams:
- Single long cycle program: Consists of multiple-choice question tests in Medical Biology, Medical Chemistry, General English, and Biomedical English will be taken online using the University’s educational platform.
- BSc and MSc Programs: Consists of an English test, Biology test, and writing a Motivation letter.
Tuition, fees, and the annual cost of attendance
|Program||Tuition fee (per semester)|
|Medicine (6 years)||9100 USD|
|Dentistry (5 years)||9100 USD|
|Pharmaceutical Sciences (5 years)||6000 USD|
|Additional Material Fee for Dentistry Students (years 3-5)||1800 USD|
|Program||Tuition fee (per semester)|
|BSc Programs||3300-3600 USD|
|Msc Programs||3200-3300 USD|
Cost of Living
|Expense||Cost (per month)|
|Basic Food||128 USD|
|Public transport(Monthly pass)||11 USD|
The average annual cost of attendance for an international student in Semmelweis University would be approximately 25,604 USD or 94,030 AED.
Scholarships for International students
Semmelweis University does not provide scholarships in the English Language Programs.
Some of the government scholarships Semmelweis University partners with include
- The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship: This scholarship covers all the expenses including tuition fees, accommodation, health insurance, airfare, and other expenses. A monthly stipend of 140 USD would be provided to cover food and other expenses. The last date to apply for the Stipendium Hungary Government Scholarships 2022 is 15th January 2022.
- Hungarian Diaspora scholarships: This scholarship covers your tuition fee, accommodation, and medical insurance. Dormitory placement or a monthly stipend of 128 USD for accommodation costs will be provided.
- The ERASMUS program provides students with scholarships for the duration of their studies abroad. This helps cover the students’ emerging costs, such as transportation, accommodations, food, and insurance.