Pharmacy in Spain: Top Courses, Fees, Eligibility, Scholarships, and Career Scope
Pharmacy undergraduate programs in Spain are usually five years in duration. They can be pursued right after graduation in Spain. Most pharmacy programs are available in both English and Spanish. International students must learn Spanish to fare well in internships and training programs.
Over 200,000 international students go to Spain annually. International students can experience a diverse student community. Spain offers quality education with experiential learning through internships and practice.
Read this article to know more about pharmacy programs in Spain. Learn how you, as an international student, can be accepted into the best medical universities in Spain.
Best Universities for Pharmacy in Spain
There are 27 universities in Spain offering 38 pharmacy programs. But only a few programs are in English. The list below features universities providing courses in either English or Spanish. These universities offer not just pharmacy but medicine programs as well. Please note that this list is not exhaustive and does not cover all 27 universities. The universities are ordered per their national ranking. Some of these universities also rank globally according to QS World Rankings for Pharmacy.
|National Ranking by UniRank 2021||University / Institute|
|1||University of Barcelona|
|2||Complutense University of Madrid|
|3||University of Valencia|
|5||University of Granada|
|11||Universidad de Sevilla|
|13||University of Salamanca|
|15||Pompeu Fabra University|
|18||University of Navarra|
|26||Universidade de Santiago de Compostela|
|50||UCAM Catholic University of Murcia|
|55||CEU San Pablo University|
|64||Francisco de Vitoria University|
Pharmacy courses in English
|University / Institute||Program Offered||Language|
|UCAM Catholic University of Murcia||Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy||English|
|CEU San Pablo University||Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy||Spanish, English|
|Francisco de Vitoria University||Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy||English|
|IQS Foundation||Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy||English|
|Pompeu Fabra University||Master in Bioinformatics for Health Sciences||Spanish, English|
As can be seen from the above list, options for English-taught programs are limited. Students can consider learning Spanish if they wish to broaden their application options. Many top universities in Spain offer pharmacy in Spanish.
What will you study?
Pharmacy programs in Spain are a good mix of coursework and experiential learning. Typically, Spanish medical universities cover the following subjects/topics.
- Natural Sources of Drugs and Substances used in Medicines
- Formulation and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Molecular and Chemotherapeutic Pharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Blood, Cardiovascular and Renal Pharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Neuropharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Physical Pharmacy, Formulation, and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Sterile Products and Advanced Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Advanced Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Drug Discovery, and Design
- Addiction Pharmacy
- Practice of Pharmacy and Integrated Pharmacy Skills
- Professional Practice and Public Health
- Organization and Management Skills
Admission requirements for Pharmacy in Spain
Basic Admission Requirements are:
- High School DIploma
- Bachelor’s degree (for Master’s level courses)
- Academic Transcripts
- Subject Requirements – Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics.
- Applicants must achieve an average of 85% or above in four subjects in Grade 12, including minimum scores of 75% in Chemistry, Biology, and Physics or Mathematics.
- English language proficiency (up to B2 Level)
- Adequate Spanish Language knowledge
Documents needed by International students for admission to pharmacy schools in Spain are
- Valid passport
- Photo (passport-type)
- Academic transcripts of the studies you have carried out to date, which allow you access to the Spanish University system. In the case of secondary school students, the grades for the last two completed academic years
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Language certificates
- Grade equivalence document – need to be submitted by those students who have completed a pre-university system other than Spanish
How to apply?
Students can apply directly through university websites. To avoid mistakes during the application process, students are advised to take the help of professionals.
At Gyanberry, students can be assured of complete application assistance. Moreover, students can enjoy the extra benefits of exclusive meetings with the university staff and QnA sessions with senior students.
Tuition fees for international students
Below are the tuition fees of universities offering bilingual or English-taught courses.
|University||Annual Tuition Fee in EUR||Annual Tuition Fee in USD*|
|CEU San Pablo University||12,900||13,445|
|UCAM Catholic University of Murcia||8,970||9,360|
|Francisco de Vitoria University||11,400||11.880|
The average tuition fees for studying pharmacy in Spain is EUR 11,450 or USD 11,950. The cost of studying Pharmacy in Spain is comparatively lower than that of studying pharmacy in the UK.
Cost of living in Spain
Living expenses in Spain are quite affordable for international students. International students may spend an average of EUR 900-1300 (USD 947-1368*) every month. The figure is estimated at roughly EUR 10,800-15,600 (USD 11,364-16,415*) for one year.
Actual living costs may change depending on a student’s expense habits. For example, university dormitories are more affordable than private accommodation.
|Particulars||Annual Expense in EUR||Annual Expense in USD*|
|Utilities and Miscellaneous||3,600||3,790|
* Tuition fees and living expenses in EUR are converted to USD at 1 EUR = 1.04 USD. Current exchange rates fluctuate periodically.
Scholarships for international students
There are a few options for International students to receive financial aid for studying in Spain. But the number of scholarships is limited.
Spanish Studies Abroad Scholarship Program
The Spanish Studies Abroad scholarship program supports international students studying in Spanish-speaking countries. Students can apply to study in any partner institution of the scholarship program. Undergraduate and graduate programs are eligible.
The scholarship award ranges between USD 500 and USD 1,500. This award does not cover tuition fees. But students can use the fund to cover living and travel expenses.
Some required documents and selection criteria for this scholarship program are
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0-3.5
- Scholarships application to be submitted along with our name, program, and home college or university
- 400-500 word essay on students’ dedication to the Spanish language and motivation to apply for this scholarship.
Some universities provide scholarships to students who have academic merit. Students are advised to check their desired universities’ websites for the latest updates.
The Spanish Ministry of Education offers financial support to students. In addition, students can take the help of independent organizations in their country.
Career Scope after Pharmacy in Spain
In Spain, pharmaceutical science has a broad scope. Students have excellent possibilities at leading pharmaceutical corporations and manufacturers. Career opportunities for pharmacy graduates include working in:
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Drug regulatory bodies
- Biotechnology sector
- Research centers
Some typical job profiles for graduates of pharmacy degrees include
- Analytical Chemist
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Hospital Drug Coordinator
- Drug Therapist
- Chemical Technician
- Drug Technician
- Drug Inspector
- Health Inspector
In Spain, the average annual salary of a pharmacist is EUR 43,800. The pay increases exponentially with the experience.
Some of the highest-paying cities in Spain are:
|City||Average Annual Salary in EUR|
Pharmacology graduates can also pursue graduate studies at MSc or Ph.D. level. Top universities for Pharmacy offer several postgraduate and doctorate programs. Ph.D. programs cover specialized areas such as drug development and biomedical science.