Pre-Master Courses in Germany for International Students
Pre-Master courses in Germany are foundational programs designed for students to gain theoretical concepts and practical tools before starting their master’s degrees. The following are some reasons to consider a pre-master program before applying for a master’s degree in Germany
- To fulfill the educational requirements that your bachelor’s degree lacks
- For extra-preparation for the subject you are interested in doing master’s
- To improve academic study skills
- To enhance your language (German or English) skills for postgraduate study with language-focused classes
Students who successfully complete the pre-master courses in Germany are given an official Pre-Master certificate. With the certificate, they can directly apply to the university where they finished their pre-master studies. The following article covers the pre-master programs available to international students at popular German universities.
Overview of Pre-master courses in Germany
|Duration||3 months to 1 year|
|Medium of teaching||English/German|
|Tuition fees in Euros||3,090 to 15,500|
Popular Pre-master courses in Germany
Here is a list of pre-master courses by popular German universities. You can apply to these courses via the university website or Gyanberry.
|University Name||Course Name||Duration||Language of Teaching||Tuition Fees (Euros)|
|University of Europe for Applied Sciences||Master Preparatory Program Business/Tech||1 semester (6 months)||English||6,594|
|CBS International Business School||Pre-Master: Master’s Degree in Business Administration for Career Changers||1-2 semesters (6 months to 1 year)||English||4,650|
|ISM International School of Management||Pre-Master – Business Administration Preparation for Non-Business Economists||1 semester (6 months)||English||6,280 to 6,480 (depending on the campus location)|
|Lancaster University Leipzig||Pre-Masters Business||25 weeks (6 months)||English||15,500|
|Munich Business School||Pre-Master||3 months||English||6,500|
|SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences||PreMaster | Engineering||1 semester
|PreMaster | Computer Science||1 semester
|Berlin International College||Master Prep Program German||4, 6 and 8 months||German||3,090 (4 months), 4,290 (6 months, 5,490 (8 months)|
University of Europe for Applied Sciences (UE)
Master Preparatory Program Business/Tech
The UE’s Master Preparatory Program Business/Tech program is for students who wish to start a master’s degree at UE. The intake starts in March and September of every year. Students need a bachelor’s degree and English language proficiency of IELTS 5 or above to be admitted to the program. It is of a 1-semester duration, and admission starts in March and September.
The Master Preparatory Program is available for the following Business, IT, or Tech Masters at UE:
- M.Sc. Software Engineering (60, 90, 120 ECTS)
- M.Sc. Data Science (60, 90, 120 ECTS)
- M.Sc. International Business Management (60, 90, 120 ECTS)
- M.A. International Sport & Event Management (60, 90, 120 ECTS)
- Master of Business Administration (60, 90 ECTS)
It cost 6,594 Euros for the entire course, and if you get selected, you will receive the fees as credit for your subsequent master’s program at UE. The classes consist of 18 hours per week. The curriculum includes
- Advanced-level English (IELTS level 6)
- Office package plus additional skills (IT/programming)
- Statistics (including a preparatory course in Master Data Science)
- Scientific Writing
- Culture Skills/Networking
- Setting up and completing a final project
CBS International Business School
Pre-Master: Master’s Degree in Business Administration for Career Changers
The course has been developed for students who, due to their academic credentials, English language skills, or prior job experience, are not eligible for enrollment into CBS’s master’s programs. It prepares students with an unrelated bachelor’s degree for direct admission to a master’s program in economics at CBS. Although the course is entirely taught in English, there is also a German option available. The university will decide how many ECTS you need to make up depending on your level of prior education. Students should, therefore, use the application form to provide all necessary documentation, including your CV and your transcript of records.
One semester is sufficient if you have a basic understanding of economics. If you have no prior knowledge of economics, you will need two semesters. The course is offered at the campuses in Cologne or Mainz during the summer or winter semesters. The course fee for each campus is 4,650 Euros.
ISM International School of Management
Pre-Master – Business Administration Preparation for Non-Business Economists
The pre-master course by ISM is specifically tailored to teach students with non-economic bachelor’s degrees basic principles of business administration. It also covers some aspects of accounting, human resource management, and international marketing. ISM asks students to submit the following documents for admission to its pre-master’s program:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university (at least 180 ECTS points)
- Good English skills (TOEFL IBT 80, IELTS 6.0, Cambridge (FCE) test score)
- Curriculum vitae
- Passport copy
- Motivation letter
- Health certificate
The cost of the program is 6,280 euros on the campuses in Dortmund, Cologne, Stuttgart, and Berlin while it is 6,480 euros in Frankfurt/Main, Munich, and Hamburg. In order to be considered for admission, students have to clear a multi-level written and oral entrance test. The deadline for international applicants who need a German visa is December 15 of the same year.
Lancaster University Leipzig
The program’s goal is to prepare students to transition to the language and academic requirements of a postgraduate degree program in the field of economics and management. It introduces students to fundamental theories and techniques of economics and management. After completing the course, students can directly apply to the MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management course at Lancaster University Leipzig. The following modules are included in the course:
- Interactive Learning Skills Communication
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Management Principles
- Math and Stats
The entire course runs for the duration of 25 weeks (6 months) and is open to applicants in October and January. It is priced at 15,500 Euros for 2022–23, with a year-on-year increase of up to 5%. Students must have at least a 60% average on their bachelor’s degree in addition to one of the following English exam scores.
|TOEFL iBT / Home Edition||77|
|Pearson PTE Academic||50|
Munich Business School
This course is specifically for students who desire to pursue a master’s degree in business but lack prior business-related education. It is a 3-month hybrid program that students can take either online or on-campus. The entire program costs 6,500 Euros and is taught entirely in English. Students who pass the course receive direct admission to the following master’s courses by Munich Business School.
- Master International Business
- Master in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Master International Marketing and Brand Management
- Master in Sports Business and Communication
Students have to submit the following documents for admission to the pre-master’s program:
- Bachelor’s degree in any non-business field from an accredited university
- Good English skills (TOEFL IBT 85, IELTS 6.5, or ELS 112)
The application process for the course starts in May and end in August of the same year. The candidates are selected on the basis of a written application and a personal interview.
SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences
SRH University offers two pre-master programs for students interested in earning a master’s degree in engineering or computer science. The aim of these courses is to make students more proficient in the language and the mentioned subject areas.
PreMaster | Engineering
This course is suitable for students who wish to enroll in the following engineering master’s degree program at SRH
- Engineering and International Business (Renewable Energy, Water, and Waste Management)
- Engineering and Sustainable Technology Management (Mobility and Automotive Industry)
- Engineering and Sustainable Technology Management (Industry 4.0: Automation, Robotics & 3D Manufacturing)
- Engineering and Sustainable Technology Management (Smart Building Technologies)
PreMaster | Computer Science
The program is aimed at students who wish to do their master’s in the following computer science subjects
- Cyber Security
- Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
Each course costs 6,450 euros and lasts for one semester. The due dates and subject matter for these courses are listed in the table below.
|Course Name||Subject Matter||Deadlines|
|PreMaster | Engineering||Mathematics, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Programming, English||October and April|
|PreMaster | Computer Science||Programming Basics, Hardware, Software Engineering, Mathematics, Internet/Networks/IP, English||October and April|
Berlin International College
Master Prep Program German
This pre-program by the Berlin International College is designed for students who wish to advance their German language skills for a master’s degree. Students can take the classes either offline on campus or online. The offline classes take place at the BIC campus from Monday to Friday for 30 hours per week. The applications are offered on a rolling basis throughout the year but international students should apply at least 3 months before the deadline.
|Program Name||Deadline||Duration (months)||Tuition Fees (Euros)|
|German B1 – C1||September||8||5,490|
|German B2 – C1||November||6||4,290|
|Only German C1||February||4||3,090|
- Bachelor’s degree in the respective field with a GPA of at least 2.5
- Secondary school diploma with a 50% average (often 12 years of education)
- English language proficiency of minimum B2 level
- German language certificate (Goethe, telc, TestDaf, DSH) as per the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
Students have to answer the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) exam at the end of the courses. Upon completion, they will get a letter of conditional offer from the BIC partner university. They are free to pursue any one of the following master’s programs.
- M.A. Strategic Management
- M.Eng. Electrical Engineering
- M.Eng. Electrical Engineering
- M.Eng. Facility Management and Real Estate Management
- M.Eng. Mechanical Engineering
- M.Sc. Geographic Information Science