Top Universities for Medicine in Russia
Russia has been popular among Medicine aspirants all over the world. With high standards of medical universities and low cost of living, Russia has been most sought after by international students. Russia has backed 30 among the top 100 positions of Medical Universities according to the World Health Organisation’s listings. All of these universities are recognized by the WHO & Medical Council of various leading countries.
Russian Medical University alumni are presently working in leading hospitals worldwide. A very affordable fee by the Russian Ministry of health and education as compared to other countries makes Russia a very preferred choice. Out of 57 medical universities in Russia, 12 of the universities provide MBBS in English medium.
Why study MBBS in Russia?
Russian medical universities hold very nice positions in worldwide rankings, making Russia a very desirable option. There are many factors to consider Russia for MBBS.
- Renowned Alumni family from Russian Medical Universities is a proof of the worldwide stature of Medical studies
- Globally Affiliated and accredited Universities are recognized by the World health organization and Medical Council of leading countries like the United States of America, the United Kingdom, the Middle East, Australia, India, Canada, etc.
- A very affordable and standardized fee structure as most of the universities are funded by the Russian government.
- The universities are very well furnished in terms of infrastructure, technical advances, and lecturers.
- There are many exciting career opportunities after medical studies in Russia.
- The duration of MBBS in Russia in English Medium is 6 years. Students can also opt for MBBS in Russian Medium which is of 7 years with the addition of 1 year as Russian Language Training (Preparatory Faculty).
- Affordable and feasible study- Russian government put the subsidy of approximately 70% for the MBBS courses in Russian Universities. The average MBBS fee in Russia is between 2.5 Lacs to 5 Lacs per year
- High FMGE Result- Most of the Russian Universities provide MCI Screening Test Coaching on the university’s premises itself. As a result, graduates showed excellent results in the FMGE exam and landed themselves among the best hospitals and industries in India and abroad.
- Goal-Oriented Learning- MBBS in Russia features ways of imparting education in a regulated and streamlined method that focuses on the extensive skill development in the specialties the student chooses.
Best 6 Universities to Study Medical sciences & MBBS in Russia
According to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021, here is a list of 6 top Universities in Russia
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow
Lomonosov Moscow State University was the first Russian University founded in 1755.
It has affiliations of the Central Medical Department of the Executive Office of the President of the Russian Federation, Sechenov Moscow Medical Academy, the Fertility and Preconception Centre, the Neurological Centre of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Glavmosstroy Hospital, Moscow Regional Research Clinical Institute (MONIKI) and Moscow clinical hospitals. The institute provides all the necessary conditions for its students to gain the best standards of medical education. Also during the coursework, students are involved in research at the leading Moscow laboratories.
Application Requirements –
- Originals or copies of a copy of School leaving certificate (High school diploma)
- Originals or copies of academic records (transcript with the list of studied disciplines and marks)
- Copy of the first two pages of passport / ID with a notarized translation into Russian
- 2 photos (3×4)
Application Deadlines –
- Starts June 15, 2021
- Closes July 7 or 10, 2021
Entrance Exam –
- The exact dates of entrance examinations are established by MSU Central Admissions Office and announced no later than June 1, 2021
- Carried out by the decision of the Central Admissions Office, starting from June 16
Sechenov University, Moscow
Sechenov University is the largest research medical school in Russia. Its history dates back to the establishment of the medical faculty at Imperial Moscow University in 1758. Today the population has grown to over 3000 international students among a total of 19000 undergrads.
The degrees of Sechenov University in General Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy are very well known for their quality standards. Also, both English and Russian teaching mediums are available.
Minimum entry requirements –
- Computer-based assessment in chemistry with a result of 55 out of 100
- Russian language assessment result of 55 out of 100
Application deadlines –
- 16 June 2021 – 21 September 2021
Entrance exam deadline –
- 23 September 2021
Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow
Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University is the first organization in Russia to provide women with the opportunity to get a higher medical education. This university was also the first in the world to establish a Faculty of Pediatrics, serving as a model for the foundation of such departments in other universities. The school of Biomedicine established in 1963, was also the first in the world.
- Chemistry, Biology — for international students coming in for training using English
- Chemistry, Biology, Russian language — for students coming in for training using Russian
- Always before 30th June every year
Pavlov University, St. Petersburg
The Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University was founded in 1897 as the Medical Institute for Women. The University is a State Educational Organization, having a state license and state accreditation from the Russian Federation Ministry of Health.
- School Transcripts
- Passport size photographs (Number – 10)
- Authorization of documents from Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi
- Legalization of documents from the Russian Embassy
Saint Petersburg State University, Saint Petersburg
Established in 1724, Saint Petersburg State University is the oldest institution of higher education in Russia. Today, the university has successfully combined tradition and innovation, being one of the leading international centers of education, science, and culture. The University is proud to produce nine Nobel Laureates in various fields like Physiology, Medicine, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, and literature. Moreover, two presidents of the Russian Federation and six government leaders are Saint Petersburg graduates. Each year, more than 3,000 international students from 100 countries enroll in the University.
- Application form for an educational program of the relevant level, stated by an Admission Committee
- Educational certificate/diploma* (or its notarized copy) and its transcript (in case it is provided by the legal system of a foreign state that issued the certificate/diploma)
- Copy of identity document
- Copy of entry visa to the Russian Federation (if there is one)
- Copy of migration card
- Stay Regulations for Foreign Citizens in Russian Federation” signed
- 4 (four) photographs 3*4
Novosibirsk State University, Novosibirsk
Novosibirsk is the non-official capital of Siberia and also, the scientific center of Russia. Being one of the most rapidly growing cities in the country, it is among the top 20 best student-friendly cities in the world in terms of education. Application requirements –
- Application for admission (will be given the application form by the admission board at the university)
- Passport (original and notarized translation into Russian)
- An education certificate including studied subjects and grades (original and notarized translation into Russian)
- HIV testing certificate
- 6 Photographs 3×4 cm
Application deadline –
- 10 July
Cost of medical programs in Russia
The fee structure and other details have been tabulated below –
|University||QS World Ranking by Subject (2021)||Acceptance Rate||Annual Tuition fee
|Lomonosov Moscow State University||21||12%||1856 USD/ Year|
|Sechenov University||601-620||–||66,209 USD|
|Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University||451-500||70-80%||7,500-10,000 USD|
|Pavlov University||451-500||57%||11,800 USD /year|
|Saint Petersburg State University||61||14%||5200 USD/year|
|Novosibirsk State University||51-100||15%||8300 USD/year|
Medical Study in Russia is a very easy feasible procedure, as it does not require any entrance examinations. Also, the MBBS fee in Russia is low as The Russian Government provides a high subsidy for education. All Russian Medical Universities are listed in the World Health Organisation and Medical council of India so a student who gets an MBBS degree from Russia can practice anywhere in the world including India. With fully furnished lodging facilities, the study standards are very much appreciable. International students also get trained in the Russian language which helps them communicate better with patients during their medical practice.