University of Mount Union: Rankings, Programs, Admissions, Tuition Fees, and Scholarships
Founded in 1846 with the vision to deliver academic excellence and promise, the University of Mount Union is a private Christian university. It is located in Alliance, Ohio with its roots grounded in a liberal arts tradition. This vibrant, comprehensive Midwestern university strives to create a curriculum where science would parallel the humanities. As of now, it offers more than 50 undergraduate majors and master’s programs.
The diverse campus community comprises a total of 2,100 students with representation from 16 countries. Career-specific courses in physician assistant studies, educational leadership, business administration, and a doctoral program in physical therapy are highly sought after for those who wish to study in the USA.
By the numbers, the success rate for the 2019 batch of students was 96%. They were either employed or admitted to a higher-level study program within 2 months of their graduation.
University of Mount Union- Highlights
|Year of Establishment
|2,100 graduate and undergraduate students (50% men and 50% women)
|Students from 34 American states and 16 countries
|Application Deadline for International Students
|Applications open for Spring 2023
|92% of Mount Union’s full-time faculty members hold a doctorate or other terminal degrees
|Scholarships for International Students
Why study at the University of Mount Union?
- The university is renowned for its stellar academic record, which is well reflected in its average class size and student success metrics.
- Mount Union’s 123-acre campus hosts a state-of-the-art athletic complex with 24 intercollegiate athletic teams.
- The campus life, student dorms, and dining services of the university are all highly ranked by Niche.
- With many international scholarships enrolled, nearly every student (99%) receives some sort of financial assistance.
- The 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio ensures interpersonal communication and places great value on teaching.
University of Mount Union rankings
- #10 among regional colleges in Midwest by US News and World Report, 2021
- #593 among top four-year accredited public and private colleges in the US by Forbes
- #11 in Ohio among Best Small Colleges by Niche
- Master’s program in allied health and health professions ranked #5 in Ohio for quality by College Factual
Programs and courses offered at the University of Mount Union
The academic curriculum at Mount Union introduces its pupils to sophisticated and challenging ideas drawn from diverse perspectives.
Currently, Mount Union has 3 main colleges under its aegis. These include the
- College of Applied and Social Sciences (undergraduate and graduate programs)
- College of Arts and Humanities (only undergraduate programs)
- College of Natural and Health Sciences (undergraduate and graduate programs)
Students from across the world can opt to enroll in UG, PG, and doctoral courses. However, some of the most popular majors are Marketing, Business, Sports and Fitness, Biology, Psychology, Nursing, and Accounting.
|School of Business
Human Resources; Management;
|Department of Literature & Communication Arts
|School of Education
Middle Childhood Education;
|School of Engineering
|Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Multi-Platform Software Development
|Department of Social Sciences
International affairs and Diplomacy;
National Security and Foreign Intelligence Analysis;
Pre-professional programs (pre-law and JD)
|Department of Performing Arts
|Department of Visual Arts & Media
|Department of World Languages & Cultures
|Department of Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Physics
|Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Medical Laboratory Science
|Department of Nursing
Nursing (traditional BSN)
|Department of Exercise, Sport, and Nutrition Sciences
|Department of Psychology, Neuroscience, and Human Development
Human Development and Family Science
| Doctoral Degrees
|Master of Business Administration
Leadership and Innovation
|Master of Education
Curriculum and Instruction
Ohio Principal Licensure
| Master of Science
|Physician Assistant Studies
Campus and accommodation
Life at the 123-acre university campus is never dull as more than 80 student-oriented organizations keep students occupied. Diversity, inclusion, and campus safety are key parameters that define living at the University of Mount Union.
With a 200 million dollar investment in the past 20 years, the Mount Union campus is home to modern facilities. Chapman Hall and Miller Hall are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, Kehres Stadium is the oldest college stadium in the state of Ohio.
Other notable facilities include a natural sciences building, health, and medical sciences facility, performing arts center, recreation center, and apartment-style housing options. More than 1400 undergraduate students live in 10 residence halls, 11 apartment housing facilities, and 4 theme houses.
The university also offers off-campus housing in two apartment-style buildings for graduate students. Multiple dining options and cafes ensure an abundance of hearty conversations are shared over a plate of good food.
Admission requirements for international students
With an acceptance rate of 77%, the University of Mount Union enrolls students from 20 different nationalities. The application deadlines are rolling and the university does not charge an application fee.
International students seeking admission need to furnish the following set of requisite documents
- An international student application
- Secondary school transcripts with a minimum GPA of 2.0
- Proof of English language proficiency* with a minimum IELTS score of 6.5, a TOEFL iBT score of 79, or a PTE Academic score of 55.
- Personal essay and letters of recommendation.
One should also note that English language proficiency scores are lower for international students opting for the ESL Bridge Course.
Application requirements and minimum qualifications vary from program to program. For full details of the admission eligibility, get in touch with Gyanberry.
International students can apply for admission to the University of Mount Union via Gyanberry’s Admission Assistance Service.
Tuition, fees, and the annual cost of attendance
Comprehensive figures outlining the tuition fees for undergraduate and graduate courses at the University of Mount Union have been provided below.
For undergraduate students
|12-20 credit hours
For Post-graduate Students
The tuition fee varies greatly depending on the course you have opted for.
For example, the doctoral PT program costs $926.67 per credit hour while an online MBA degree costs $695 per credit hour.
Cost of Living
Living expenses at the University of Mount Union are tabulated below.
|Annual Expenses in USD
|Room and Board
Graduate housing- double
|$5,600- 8,400 (depending on the type of room)
|Other living expenses
The annual cost of attendance for international students pursuing undergraduate programs at the University of Mount Union is 45,500-51,000 USD or 167,126- 187,328 AED*.
*Note: Costs are converted based on the current exchange rate, i.e., 1 USD = 3.67 AED. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for international students
Studying at Mount Union is affordable for international students of all backgrounds because of robust scholarship and grant offerings. The scholarships accepted at the university are all listed below.
- The International Education Financial Aid website allows you to search for scholarships, depending on your location and selected course at UMU. Fill in your intended major and home country, with Ohio as your place of study to find your perfect scholarship.
- The College Choice website provides financial aid information for international students attending U.S. colleges.
- The Organization of American States (OAS) lists scholarships for Latin American and Caribbean students in their Financial Guide for Higher Education.
- Women pursuing higher education can apply for Scholarships for the American Association of University Women (AAUW).
- The NAFSA Association of International Educators also provided some financial resources for students with nonimmigrant visas.
- MPOWER Scholarships for international students based on location and country of origin.
Some other scholarships can also be availed by international students who wish to apply to the University of Mount Union. These include
|Name of Scholarship
|International Distinction Scholarship
|International Fellow Scholarship
|International Academic Scholarship
|International Ambassador Scholarship
Career prospects, placements, and salaries for University graduates
By the numbers, the University of Mount Union has a remarkable 96% 10-year average of graduates reporting exceptional career success.
Extensive work is carried out by the Career Development cell of the university, ensuring utmost professionalism is observed by its graduates. The university helps its students by
- Holding job and internship fairs like CareerFest for easy placement.
- Giving them access to an internship portal managed by the university.
- Providing sample resume content and requisite guidelines.
- Conducting mock interviews.
Graduates from UMU can also apply for faculty positions at the university.
According to 2018 statistics, the average median salary of a fresh Mount Union graduate is 50,00-87,000 USD.
International students in the US generally use a student visa during the completion of their course. Now, an Optional Practical Training (OPT) extension or STEM OPT extension to your F-1 visa can allow you to stay back in the US after you graduate. This Post Study Work permit under OPT is valid for 12 months after the completion of the program, after which you can seek permanent employment.