Ural State Medical University (USMU): Ranking, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Ural State Medical University is a major medical science education center in Russia founded in 1930. Over 6000 students are studying in their undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, and residency programs, and about 300 international students from 30 countries. It is one of the top Universities to study medicine in Russia.
USMU is a recognized medical science center, and the programs offered are the most innovative courses in Russia. Apart from being a prominent figure to study Medical sciences in Russia, USMU also has proven excellence in research. Researchers of USMU collaborate with the Russian Academy of Science in the Ural region, Federal Scientific Institutes of the Ministry of Public Health of the Russian Federation, and foreign institutions and organizations in China, Denmark, Hungary, and other countries.
Some notable alumni include Mikhail Murashko, the minister of the health of the Russian Federation, and Andrey Tsvetkov.
|Year of Establishment||1930|
|Percentage of International Students||5%|
|Application deadline (for entrance exam) for International Students||15th July|
|Number of Academic Faculties||9|
|Annual fees for the general medicine program||3,378 USD*|
|The estimated cost of attendance per year for medicine students||5000 USD or 18,365 AED.*|
|Scholarships for International Students||Not available from the University|
Why study at Ural State Medical University (USMU)?
- USMU is a recognized center of medical science and the programs offered by them are the most innovative courses in Russia.
- USMU is one of the top 20 Russian medical schools and top 100 Russian Universities.
- It is the only medical school of Urals to be featured in the “Three University Missions” (2020).
- USMU has many notable alumni who have made huge contributions in the field of medicine.
- According to the RAEX rating review (2020), USMU ranks:
- #89 in the University Reputation Ranking.
- #69 in the Russian Universities Influence.
- #18 in the medicine and healthcare subject ranking.
- #1401-1500 in the Moscow International Ranking in the “Three University Missions” (2020).
- According to webometrics USMU is in position #5587 in the world ranking, #1510 in the continental ranking, and #152 in the Russian Federation Ranking.
USMU Programs for International Students
USMU offers 6 undergraduate programs, including one bilingual program in General Medicine. It is provided in two mediums: the first two years are in English, and then the transition to Russian from the third year. The duration of the course is 6 years. International students can study the Russian language in the university itself under the preparatory faculty.
Campus and Accommodation
The campus is located in Yekaterinburg, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia.
For student housing, USMU recommends:
- Student dormitories that are in close proximity to the college. The dormitories have a shared kitchen and toilets.
- Crystal Hotel: It is located in Yekaterinburg, Korolenko close to the university. They offer rooms in the format of a student dormitory which are comfortable and at the same time inexpensive for foreign students of the Ural State Medical University. It is equipped with a bed, a desk, a chair, a wardrobe, and a bedside table.
Admission requirements for international students
- Application: The filled application should be sent via post to the university.
- Documents Required:
- Academic transcripts of your previous education including diplomas and certifications.
- Notarized translation of your certificates and transcripts.
- Scanned copy and notarized translation of your valid international passport.
- Scanned copy of your health certificate and HIV-test results (in English).
- 8 photos in the size 3×4.
- Entrance Exams: International students applying for the bilingual program in General Medicine must pass two exams: Biology and Chemistry.
|Application opens||18th June|
|End of the application for entrance exams||15th July|
|Entrance exams||16th-29th July|
For more details regarding course eligibility and a smooth application process, get in touch with gyanberry.
Tuition, fees, and cost of attendance
|1st year||1534 USD|
|General medicine (Bilingual program in English and Russian mediums)|
|1st year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
|2nd year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
|3rd year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
|4th year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
|5th year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
|6th year||2,40,000 Ruble/3378 USD*|
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Crystal Hotel is 113.99 USD per month, which includes: round-the-clock accommodation, daily cleaning of common areas, bed linen change once a week. Additional charges for three hot meals daily and services like storing valuables, printing services, and salon facilities.
The average annual expense for an international student at USMU would be 5000 USD or 18,365 AED.*
*Converted at the rate of 1 Rubel=0.018 USD & 1 USD=3.67 AED. The exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for International students
Being a state-funded public university, tuition and fees for programs offered at Ural State Medical Universities are quite inexpensive. Although there are no university-specific scholarships for international students, government scholarships are available.
Government grants by medical colleges in Russia
The international student needs to be academically proficient to qualify for this grant. The student must write the Uniform State Examination (EGE) to qualify for the scholarship. The scholarship includes the tuition fee, maintenance allowance, and dormitory accommodation.
Ural State Medical University is a well-reputed college for medical education. The bilingual program in General Medicine is a great course for international students to pursue a successful career in the field of medicine.
Students can also apply to several other external scholarships provided in their home country & in Russia.
Career Prospects for International Students
After obtaining a degree, the student will become eligible to practice in Russia or any other country where the degree is recognized by the country’s medical council. The degrees are recognized by major countries such as India, China, Canada, etc.
Working in Russia
The average salary of a doctor in Russia is between USD 4000-5000. CIS (Commonwealth) countries do not need a visa to enter the country. They can apply for a work patent with the local Russian Directorate of Migratory Affairs (GUVM) office in their region within 30 days of entering. The work patent gives people 60 days to find employment and is valid for 12 months with the option to renew once. However, applicants cannot obtain a work patent unless they pass an exam showing that they know the Russian language, history, and legislation.
For non-CIS countries, residents can apply for the standard work permit, valid for the length of the employment contract. It requires securing a temporary residence permit first. Skilled professionals with a salary over RUB 1 million can apply for the work permit for highly qualified professionals, which gets processed faster, is valid for three years, and allows family members to obtain Russian visas.