Vancouver Film School (VFS): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Founded in 1987, Vancouver Film School started with 12 Film Production students. The school is based on the philosophy that one year of concentrated work, which balances industry-led theory and hands-on production, gives students the necessary skills to craft a professional-level portfolio or reel. VFS offers 15 programs to more than 1000 students across eight campuses. Students are physically and mentally immersed in Vancouver’s film, animation, game, and design industries that surround the campuses. The students also benefit from career guidance and expertise from industry mentors, instructors, and guest speakers.
Vancouver Film School Rankings
For over 30 years, Vancouver Film School has been one of the most successful and award-winning Alumni Networks in the industry.
|#1 Alumni Network||Campus Rankings|
|Top Global Film Schools||Variety|
|#1 Animation School in the World, 2018||Animation Career Review|
|Top 15 Global Game Design Schools, 2018||The Princeton Review|
Why study at the Vancouver Film School?
- More than 47% of the students are International Students.
- VFS alumni have been part of entertainment properties, grossing over 19 billion USD.
- VFS Alumni have received nominations and wins at the Oscars & Emmys
- In 10 years 5000+ Student Awards have been awarded.
- VFS has various Accreditations that include accreditation from B.C. Private Training Institutions Branch and British Columbia Education Quality Assurance.
- Rebranded in 2018 Beyond Capture offers performance capture, motion capture, photogrammetry, audio capture, and post-processing services.
Programs & Courses offered at Vancouver Film School
Vancouver Film School offers 15 signature post-secondary programs, 3 preparatory programs, and a few Pathway programs spanning every aspect of the entertainment arts.
Advanced Production Programs
|3D Animation & Visual Effects||28800 USD|
|Acting Essentials||8610 USD|
|Acting for Film & Television||24440 USD|
|Animation Concept Art||20790 USD|
|Classical Animation||20790 USD|
|Creature Animation||15820 USD|
|Digital Design||34250 USD|
|Film Production||43060 USD|
|Foundation Visual Art & Design||24640 USD|
|Game Design||39860 USD|
|Makeup Design for Film & Television||37450 USD|
|Programming for Games, Web & Mobile||30460 USD|
|Sound Design for Visual Media||23190 USD|
|VR/AR Design & Development||17630 USD|
|Writing for Film, Television & Games||23030 USD|
|Acting Essentials||4 months||8600 USD|
|English for Creative Arts||4 months||5400 USD|
|Foundation Visual Art & Design||12 months||24600 USD|
Vancouver Film School has partnered with select higher education institutions in Canada and abroad to offer students the opportunity to acquire both an advanced diploma and bachelor’s degree in as few as two years. The Partner Institutions are:
- 3iS Paris, France
- British Columbia Institute of Technology, Canada
- Capilano University, Canada
- Regent’s University London, UK
- Royal Roads University, Canada
- Wilfrid Laurier University, Canada
- University of the Fraser Valley, Canada
- MetFilm School, UK & Germany
- University of the Arts London: LCC, UK
- Manchester Metropolitan University: SODA, UK
Vancouver Film School offers multiple accommodation services that include renting your own apartment, sharing with roommates, or living in a homestay. Homestay allows students to live with a local family and is a great way to experience local culture. The Housing Coordinator of VFS will help students search for accommodations that meet their needs and budget. The estimated cost of accommodation depending on the housing type is:
|Shared with roommates||520 USD +|
|One-bedroom||880 – 1920 USD|
|Three bedroom||1680 USD +|
Cost of Living
With an average Tuition Fee of 25,000 USD, the approximate cost of living for a year is 40,000 USD.
Admission requirements for International Students
Where to apply: Apply via Gyanberry
Application Fee: 120 USD
The university has multiple universal, international, and prom-specific requirements for its programs. Some of the main requirements are:
- A high school graduate or be at least 19 years of age
- Names and contact details of 2 references
- Financial Plan
- Medical Coverage
- Study Permit
- Proof of English Proficiency, the applicant must meet either the Level 1 or Level 2 English language requirements depending on the program.
Scholarships for International Students
Vancouver Filming School hosts scholarships for both domestic and international applicants.
The scholarships are program-based, merit-based, community-based tec. Some of the scholarships are:
- ABCDE Scholarship
- The Kevin Smith Scholarship
- Indigenous Peoples Scholarship