Kuehne Logistics University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Accredited by the German Council of Science and Humanities, Kuehne Logistics University is a coveted private institute located in HafenCity, Hamburg, Germany. This independent, state-certified university’s research focus is sustainability, digital transformation, and value creation in the areas of transportation, global logistics, and supply chain management.
By the numbers, 400 full-time students are currently enrolled in various specialized and tailored programs at KLU. These are taught exclusively in English to international students by a team of 24 renowned professors.
As of 2017, KLU is one of the few private universities in Germany that can confer its own PhDs. The University is driven by the mission to become a University of Logistics and Leadership, making it a great academic destination for those who wish to study in Germany. KLU’s long-standing reputation is owed to the Hanseatic principles that hone in on cosmopolitanism, reliability, and networking skills.
Kuehne Logistics University: Highlights
|Year of Establishment||2010|
|International Student Percentage||40-50%|
|Application Deadline for International Students||Early Bird Deadline: January 15th
Recommended Application deadline: March 31st
Final Application deadline: May 31st
|Acceptance Rate||Admission is granted if application requirements are met|
|Number of Academic Faculties||24 for international students|
|Estimated cost of attendance per year (tuition fees+living expenses)||EUR 26,130-30,120 (USD 26,330-30,350)|
|Scholarships for International Students||Available|
Why study at the Kuehne Logistics University?
- Unlike most German Universities, KLU provides all-English courses for international students. These do away with the requirement of learning a foreign language.
- The university collaborates with international partners and has rapidly risen to fame to become a highly-ranked managerial institute.
- Courses offered are research-intensive and students are given full access to KLU’s 3 research centers, tackling relevant issues of today’s logistics industry.
- The fee structure is the same for all students. Those coming from different countries do not need to pay hiked tuition fees.
- A dedicated Career & Professional Development Program consists of 11 workshop modules that enable you to actively pursue your professional career goals.
KLU- Rankings and accreditations
- A first-tier institute by CHE 2017 Rankings.
- Top 3 in the category of Excellent Universities in Germany for Supply Chain Management by SCM Journal List.
- Winner of the Global Student Satisfaction Award in the category of ‘Overall Satisfaction’ by Studyportals.
- One of the 4 institutions among the 25 top-performing universities globally in the Indicator Student Mobility by U-Multirank.
Programs and Courses offered by Kuehne Logistics University
KLU offers BSc and MSc degree programs, a structured Doctoral program, and a part-time MBA program. The academic curriculum incorporates case-based learning, excursions, and integrated internships for students’ holistic development.
For quick reference, check out the complete list of UG and PG programs provided below.
The bachelor’s programs offered by the university are:
- Business Administration in Sustainable Management
- Business Administration in Digital Management and Innovation
- Business Administration in International Management
- Business Administration in Supply Chain Management
The master’s programs offered by the university are:
- Masters in International Management
- Masters in Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MBA in Leadership and Supply Chain Management (Part-time)
The university offers only one doctoral program:
- Doctor of Philosophy in Management (Ph.D.)
Admission requirements for International Students
Apply via Gyanberry to ensure that all deadlines are met and the timely submission of documents is completed.
Application deadline: May 31st
Application fee: EUR 100 (102 USD)
International students seeking admission to KLU need to provide the following set of documents
- High School Diploma/ school leaving certificate (qualifying for entrance to German universities)
- Statement of Purpose
- Officially certified translated versions of your original documents
- Proof of English language proficiency
The documents required for postgraduate admissions include
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from a certified institution
- Official Transcripts of Records
- Statement of Purpose
- Officially certified translated versions of your original documents
- Proof of English Proficiency
Campus and accommodation
Kuhne Logistics University is located in Hamburg’s prime HafenCity waterfront urban development area. This is one of the largest seaports in Europe, making it a scenic destination.
The university campus is spacious and equipped with all modern amenities. The campus consists of several plush auditoriums, a gym, coffee bar, library, students lounge, and lecture rooms. The chic interior plays a key role in creating an upbeat and inspiring environment for the students.
However, one should note that KLU does not provide on-campus accommodation. Student Services will assist you in finding suitable housing options after you sign the Admissions and Study Agreement.
It is easy to find rooms and apartments in areas such as Hamburg Nord, Harburg, Bergedorf, and Wandsbeg. KLU only offers rooms in his two community centers, Kiwittsmore and Gustav his Radbruchhaus. As per German estimates, one can calculate the monthly rent to be
- around 300-400* USD for a furnished single room in a public student residence,
- 400-600 USD for a two-room apartment, and
- 700 USD for a single apartment in a student residence
*Note: Costs are converted based on the current exchange rate, i.e., 1 EUR= 1.00844 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Tuition, fees, and annual cost of attendance
A detailed table outlining the fee structure for all UG and PG programs offered by KLU is provided below.
|Program||Type||Semesters||Tuition fee in EUR (per year)||Tuition fee in USD** (per year)|
|BSc in Business Administration||Standard Track||6||11,960||12,160|
|BSc in Business Administration||Intensive Track||6||13,330||13,560|
|MSc in International Management||Standard Track||4||13,960||14,200|
|MSc in International Management||Fast Track||3||14,960||15,210|
|MSc in International Management||Part-time Track||5||13,960||14,200|
|MSc in Global Logistics & SCM||Standard Track
|MSc in Global Logistics & SCM||Fast Track||3||14,960||15,210|
|MSc in Global Logistics & SCM||Part-Time Track||5||13,960||14,200|
**Note: Costs are converted based on the current exchange rate, i.e., 1 EUR= 1.00844 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Cost of living
In addition to tuition fees, international students also need to incur the following expenses.
|Expense||Amount in EUR (per year)||Amount in USD (per year)|
|Food, clothing, miscellaneous, etc.||4800||4880|
Thus, the estimated cost of living for an international student at Kuhne Logistics University is 27,460 USD or 100,863 AED*** per year.
***Note: Costs are converted based on the current exchange rate, i.e., 1 USD = 3.67 AED. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for international students
KLU strives to ensure that financial constraints do not bar any meritorious student from receiving a world-class education. The university provides several opportunities to finance your studies through Brain Capital, KLU merit-based scholarships, external scholarships, student loans, and.
DAAD is a very prominent external scholarship that is availed of by several students. A limited number of merit-based scholarships covering 50% to 100% of tuition fees are also available. Applicants for the same are selected based on academic performance, athletics, extracurricular, and social commitment.
Brain Capital is an innovative financial plan offered by the university that can help the student cover up to 50% of the cost of tuition. For fully completed applications received by January 15, you will be granted a 10% early-bird discount on the overall tuition upon enrollment.
Career Prospects for international students
KLU’s Career Service team offers a unique program that targets both your personal development and your contact with future employers. The Career Services team facilitates connections. It includes
- the Career and Professional Development Program,
- KLU Internship Program,
- Networking with the alumni group, and
- Other corporate ventures.
The Career and Professional Development Program consists of modules that will assist you during the orientation and application phase of connecting with potential employers. KLU invites placement offers from the corporate world and introduces the student community as potential interns and employees.
International students should note that all non-EU students are allowed to work in Germany, provided they have applied for the appropriate Visa after their studies. International students do not need to mandatorily apply for a post-study work visa. However, they are required to extend their resident permit for up to 18 months to secure a job in their field of study. After finding a job, students can then apply for an EU Blue Card which will enable them to work in any EU state.