Valparaiso University: Rankings, Courses, Admission Process, Fees & Scholarships for International Students
Valparaiso University, also known as Valpo, is a private higher education institute with its 350-acre campus in Valparaiso city, Northwest Indiana. It is a Lutheran university with more than 3,800 students who come from over 50 countries. Valpo University has five colleges for undergraduate students and a graduate school. It is also known to be the home of the second-largest position of the collegiate chapel in the world, the Chapel of the Resurrection.
It was initially named Valparaiso Male and Female College. The University of Valparaiso was established in the year 1859 and is also known to be one of the first colleges of coeducation in the United States.
|University Type||Private University|
|Year of Establishment||1859|
|International Student Percentage||7%|
|Application Deadline for International Students||May 1st (for undergraduate)
June 1st (for postgraduate)
|Number of Academic Faculties||5|
|Scholarships for International Students||Available|
Why Study at Valparaiso University?
- The University was one of the oldest, and the first university is known to be a coeducational college in the city. It is also regarded as the No.1 University in Valparaiso.
- The University has five colleges and a broad network of various study programs for the students.
- The University has undergone many improvements and changes with intelligent and advanced technology to keep students interested in their studies.
- The University also received various certificates for their campus to the teaching methodology faculty over time. They are experts in the field.
Valparaiso University Rankings
- World Universities (Shanghai Ranking)-top 1 percent of the world’s best universities in 2017.
- The university also ranks THE ranking at the world’s 1202 positions, and also QS ranked 104-200 across the world.
- One of the oldest universities and the first coeducational university in the United States.
Programs and Courses Offered at Valpo University
Following types of degrees are offered by Valparaiso University:
- Associate and Certificate
- Bachelors’ and Post-bachelor’s certificate
- Master’s and Post-master’s certificate
- Doctoral degree-professional practice
The university facilitates 87 programs at the undergraduate level. There are nearly 30 graduate and certificate programs for students to choose from at Valpo. Academic programs are offered in the following specializations-Arts & Sciences, Business, Engineering, Experiential Learning, Nursing & Health Professions, etc.
Some of the most popular programs at the university include- Nursing, Mechanical & Civil Engineering, Communications, Psychology, Business, and Accounting.
Campus & Accommodation at Valpo
The university has 8 residence halls and two apartment buildings which provide accommodation to around 1500 undergraduate students. All freshmen, sophomores, and juniors must stay at one of the university-managed accommodation options.
There are six fraternity houses that students can choose from as a mode of accommodation. The university comprises a dining hall with different meal programs available to students. Additionally, the campus cafe has ample options for snacking or shopping.
The campus of Valparaiso University is the old one adjacent to a part of the historic downtown district of the city of Valpo. The oldest building among them all was Heritage, on the campus. It was also registered officially by National historical in 1979 as one of the Historic Places.
In the early 1950s, which was the first school founded and expanded to the east of the location in the city to occupy what is called a “new campus.” And today, it is known to be the center of the university and the home for thousands of students in nine of its dormitories.
Admission Requirements for International Students
The acceptance rate for 2022 undergraduate admissions at Valpo was 87%. Getting admission to the university is not competitive, provided that the students have submitted all required documents.
Interested candidates can directly make an online application to the university, or students can choose to apply via the Common App.
Alternatively, students can apply via Gyanberry– an authorized admission representative of Valparaiso University- for hassle-free application assistance.
Admission is granted primarily based on the rigor of academic record and high school GPA. Standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) are accepted but not necessary. International students are also required to provide proof of English language proficiency.
Documents Required for Admission-
- Scanned copies of higher education certificates.
- Entrance exam or Interview, if applicable, certification of those.
- Birth Certificate in English
- A valid passport
- Migration Certificate
- Bank statement of your guardian to confirm that you can afford your tuition fees and living costs
- Medical certificate that has complete reports on HIV and vaccination
- Passport size photos
- A filled up an application form
- Admission offer letter from the university you have applied for admission
Undergraduate Admission Eligibility & Requirements
- 3 years of high school transcripts
- English Language Proficiency test scores: IELTS: 6.0; TOEFL iBT: 75
- The university might request a program-specific Interview if required or a smart online test.
- Copy of passport
- Application Deadline: May 1st (For stronger consideration)
- Application fee: USD 50 (Application fee waived when applying via Gyanberry)
Graduate Admission Eligibility & Requirements
- Students must have completed their Bachelor’s degree with a decent percent of more than 65-75% to get admission to the University.
- Students must prove English proficiency with 6.0/7 bands in IELTS or 75 in TOEFL iBT
- Reflective Essay/ Statement of Purpose
- 2 professional or academic letters of recommendation
- Proof of financial support
- Application fee of 50 USD
- Universities may require students to have some of their internship/work experience specific to the program.
- Application Deadline: June 1 (fall 2021)
Tuition, Fees, and Cost of Attendance for International Students
The total estimated cost of attendance for 2021-2022 undergraduate international students has been tabulated below.
|Particulars||Annual Cost (2021-2022)|
|Bachelor & Associate degree tuition (12-19 credits per sem)||43,400 USD|
|On-campus housing (standard double room)||8,116USD|
|General Fee||1,396 USD|
|Books & Supplies||1,200 USD|
|Personal Expenses||1,620 USD|
|The total estimated cost of attendance||60,800 USD/ 223,325 AED|
For graduate programs requiring 37 credits for degree completion, the annual tuition is approximately 24,296 USD for the entire program (18-24) months.
Graduate tuition per credit house for different programs has been tabulated below for the 2021-2022 academic year.
|Program Name||Graduate Tuition per Credit|
|Graduate degrees (master’s programs)||650 USD|
|Graduate courses (certificate programs)||650 USD|
|Master of Public Health & Occupation Therapy||715 USD|
|MS Nursing||715 USD|
|Doctor of Nursing Practice||715 USD|
|Master in Health Administration||715 USD|
|Master of Arts in Humane Education||555 USD|
|Master of Education in Humane Education||555 USD|
Scholarships for International Students
According to the university’s database, 98% of all incoming international students receive some form of scholarship or financial assistance.
All international students are considered for merit-based scholarships ranging from 5,000 USD- to 30,000 USD when their application for admission is being reviewed. No separate application is required to avail of this automatic scholarship.
The University of Valparaiso does not provide any need-based financial assistance for international students.
The #YouAreWelcomeHere (YAWH) scholarship is another form of merit-based financial aid supported at Valpo.
Career Prospects for International Students
As per data issued by the University, 96.2% of students land a job within 6 months of graduation, and several companies come for recruitment, especially for Business school. Some of the major companies that recruit students are- Caterpillar, Honeywell, NASA, Navistar, Toyota, Arcelor Mittal, Cummings, John Deere, Texas Instruments, Motorola, and Chrysler.
The University has a Center for Career & Professional Development that assists the students with interview preparation, drafting a CV and cover letter, and provides sources for finding the relevant jobs as per one’s qualifications.
After completing graduation, an international student must find a job within 90 days in order to get a post-study work visa (F1 Visa). This Visa is valid for 12 months and is extendable by 24 months for STEM students. For beyond this period, the type of visa varies depending upon the nature and stream of work.