Study Pharmacy in Ireland: Best Courses, Universities, Eligibility, and Career Scope
Pharmacy courses in Ireland are offered in undergraduate, postgraduate, and integrated courses. World’s top-ranked universities like Trinity College Dublin and RSCI offer five-year integrated pharmacy courses that include B.Sc.(pharm) and M.Pharm degrees. Students can choose to pursue a four-year undergraduate program too.
All applicants to study pharmacy in Ireland must be sent through CAO (Central Applications Office, Ireland. The average tuition fee for pharmacy courses in Ireland is USD 15,000 to USD 30,000. There are no entrance exams necessary for admission.
Pharmacologists work in a variety of roles after completing their studies, including toxicology pharmacologists or toxicologists, neuropharmacologists, and psychopharmacologists. According to Payscale, pharmacy graduates earn an average annual salary of over USD 60,000.
|Programs Offered||BSc, MSc, MPharma|
|Program Duration||Undergraduate – 4 Years
Postgraduate – 2 Years
|Average Annual Tuition Cost||USD 15,000-30,000|
Best Pharmacy Courses in Ireland
Ireland has a number of top-ranked universities for Pharmacy in the world. Studying in Ireland is a dream come true for several students given the quality education, low cost of education and living, and availability of scholarships. Best pharmacy courses in Ireland come from renowned universities like Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, National University of Ireland, etc.
|University||Course||Fees (in USD per year)|
|University College Dublin||M. Sc in Pharmaceutical Sciences||27,776|
|National University of Ireland Galway||M. Sc in Pharmaceutical Sciences||25,398|
|Trinity College Dublin||B.Sc and M.Sc Integrated Program||21,053|
|Griffith College||M. Sc In Pharmaceutical Business and Technology||15,782|
|Technological University Dublin (Dublin)||Pharmacy Technician||13,000|
Trinity College Dublin
For Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Trinity College Dublin is ranked 25th in the world (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022). The Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute (TBSI), which develops Trinity’s leadership position in immunology, neuroscience, and cancer, has world-class facilities and research space for the School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
The Panoz Institute also features purpose-built teaching facilities, such as the Boots Unit, a technology-enhanced learning environment where students can administer medications, dispense drugs and practice communication skills. Strategic placements are also offered to students.
University College Dublin
University College Dublin ranks in the top 150 universities in the world for Pharmacy and Pharmacology by QS World Rankings. They offer a full-time four-year B.Sc Hons program in Pharmacy. There will be plenty of opportunities for research and work experience while studying. The faculty of Pharmacy at UCD is one of the best in the country.
Students who wish to apply to study at UCD can either apply by CAO or directly through Gyanberry and avail of several benefits and assistance along the way.
What will you study?
- Natural Sources of Drugs and Substances used in Medicines
- Formulation and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Molecular and Chemotherapeutic Pharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Blood, Cardiovascular and Renal Pharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Neuropharmacology and Clinical Therapeutics
- Physical Pharmacy, Formulation, and Pharmaceutical Technology
- Sterile Products and Advanced Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Advanced Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Drug Discovery, and Design
- Addiction Pharmacy
- Practice of Pharmacy and Integrated Pharmacy Skills
- Professional Practice and Public Health
- Organization and Management Skills
Admission Requirements for Bachelor in Pharmacy in Ireland
- High School DIploma
- High School Transcript
- Subject Requirements – Biology, chemistry, mathematics.
- Applicants must achieve an average of 85% or above in four subjects in Grade 12, including minimum scores of 75% in Chemistry, Biology, and either Physics or Mathematics.
Admission Requirements for Masters in Pharmacy in Ireland
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, or a related subject with a minimum grade point average of 70% or above. The minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) or percentage is 60 percent /6.0 to 6.5/65 percent.
- Work experience can help you gain admission to prestigious Irish institutions.
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE requirements
- GRE scores are not usually required for admission to these institutions.
- Students must submit their resume/CV
- Letters of recommendation and SOP (Statement of Purpose).
Career Scope after Pharmacy in Ireland
In Ireland, pharmaceutical science has a broad scope, with students having excellent possibilities at leading pharmaceutical corporations and manufacturers. Career opportunities for Pharmacology graduates include working in:
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Drug regulatory bodies, such as the Irish Medicines Board
- Biotechnology sector
- Chemical safety and toxicology
Pharmacology graduates can also pursue graduate studies at MSc or Ph.D. level. Top universities for Pharmacy offer several postgraduate and doctorate programs. Ph.D. programs in Ireland and abroad cover areas such as drug development and biomedical science.
Some common job profiles for graduates of pharmacy degrees include
- Analytical Chemist
- Food and Drug Inspector
- Hospital Drug Coordinator
- Drug Therapist
- Chemical Technician
- Drug Technician
- Drug Inspector
- Health Inspector
In Ireland, the average annual salary of a pharmacist is USD 60,000. The pay increases exponentially with the experience.