Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Scholarships, Career Prospects
Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove is one of the faculties of the prestigious Charles University. The faculty was established in 1945 with assistance from the Prague Faculty of Medicine. Located in Hradec Kralove, a town in the North-Central Czech Republic and 100 km from Prague, the faculty, to date, has helped 10,000 students with high-quality education and training.
The faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove stands upon its three pillars of Education, Science and Research, and Foreign Relations. As an integral part of one of the Czech Republic’s best institutions for medicine, this faculty imbibes world-class education through its experienced educators. In addition, students receive clinical instructions in General Medicine and Dentistry at the University Hospital.
Why study at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove?
- The faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove was the first faculty to be established in East Bohemia. For more than 57 years since its establishment, the faculty has remained among the top Czech medical universities.
- The faculty’s most popular program at the undergraduate level is General Medicine, which is taught in English and Czech languages. Additionally, students can choose to pursue any of the faculty’s wide range of 22 doctoral programs.
- The faculty professors are experienced educators and scientific experts in their respective fields. Students receive clinical training and instructions at the University Hospital, the most medically advanced facility in the district.
- The faculty has made scientific activities an intrinsic part of its education structure. From the beginning of their undergraduate program, students are encouraged to participate in scientific activities for advanced medical research and innovation.
- International co-operating efforts are present at the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove and are an excellent opportunity for students. The faculty, which has a tie-up with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, USA, sends graduates and postgraduates for a three-month internship in medical research.
Rankings for Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
|QS World University Rankings 2022||266|
|QS WUR by Subject 2022: Medicine||151-200|
|Shangai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021: Clinical Medicine||151-200|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022||501-600|
|QS EECA University Rankings 2022||2|
Programs offered by the Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
The faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove offers a long-cycle master’s program in General Medicine for students at the undergraduate level for the academic year 2022-2023.
The six-year program is taught in English and Czech languages. However, students studying in the English medium are required to attend Czech language classes to help them interact with patients.
General medicine curricula in English and Czech are parallel to each other, and both are comparable to the international medical education standards.
A doctoral degree from one of the most reputable medical universities opens up several opportunities in the society of science and research.
The following four-year doctoral programs are available:
- Anatomy, Histology and Embryology
- Physiology and Pathological Physiology
- Gynaecology and Obstetrics
- Hygiene, Preventive Medicine
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Clinical Oncology and Radiotherapy
- Medical Biophysics
- Medical Biology
- Medical Pharmacology
- Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Medical Immunology
- Medical Microbiology
- Pathological Anatomy
Accommodation at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
Students can avail the hostel services available at the faculty. There are two accommodation types available: a hostel type and a hotel type.
Hostel Palachova is located at street J. Palacha in Hradec Kralove. Hostel rooms are designed as flats to accommodate four students or six students in one room. Students cannot choose whether they would like to stay in a four-student room or a six-student room.
It is also possible that international students may be grouped with Czech students in a room. Each flat contains a kitchen, toilet, and bathroom.
The rooms cost 148.76 CZK/night (USD 196.8/month/*) for a 4-student flat and 88,62 CZK/night (USD 117.3/month*) for a 6-student one.
At Hostel Na Kotli, Students stay in shared rooms for two, three, or four occupants. There is one kitchen with a refrigerator and a washroom shared by the one whole floor. The authorities decide room allotment, so students cannot have a room preference.
The cost for twin rooms is 90 CZK/night (USD 119/month*). Triple rooms cost 73 CZK/night (USD 97/month*), and quadruple rooms cost 64 CZK/night (USD 85/month*).
Hotel accommodation at special prices is available in Ubytovna Aleš (inside Hotel Alessandria) and Ubytovna Pošta (building next to the hotel), both situated near the Faculty.
Price list for the hotel accommodation
|Particulars||CZK per night||USD per month*|
|Long-term accommodation (more than 2 weeks)||200 per person||265|
|Short-term accommodation (less than 2 weeks)||350 per person||463|
Students must sign a contract with the hotel stating the period of stay, otherwise will be treated as regular guests. The hotel provides free wifi and laundry facilities. Kitchens are not included inside the rooms, but students can buy meals at affordable prices inside the hotel.
* Accommodation fees in CZK have been converted at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates vary periodically.
Tuition fees and cost of attendance at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
Tuition cost for the general medicine program at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove is lower than the First Faculty and Second Faculty of medicine.
International students who have opted to pursue a Ph.D. at Hradec Kralove can study at no tuition cost. However, the student will pay expenses related to accommodation and food.
|Program||Annual Tuition in USD*|
|Doctoral Programs||USD 0|
Usually, tuition costs at top medical universities in the Czech Republic range from USD 10,000 to 20,000 annually; this makes the country an attractive medical study destination, especially for international students.
Cost of living in the Czech Republic
International students may expect to incur the following expenses during their study period.
|Particulars||Annual Cost in USD*|
|Transport and other living expenses||$60-100|
The annual cost of attendance for full-time international students at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove is USD 17,290-22,550 or AED 63,506-82,826**
* Annual living cost estimate in EUR has been converted to USD at an exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.08 USD. Exchange rates vary periodically.
** Cost of Attendance in USD is converted at the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 3.67 AED.
Exchange rates vary periodically.
Admissions at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
Students who have completed their secondary education are considered eligible for admission into the General Medicine program, provided the students appear for and clear the entrance examination.
Entrance exam conducted by the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove on the subjects of Basic human anatomy and physiology, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. The exam language is English.
The multiple-choice test carries one mark for each correct answer and a 0.25 negative mark for each wrong answer.
Admissions to doctoral programs at the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove are conditional on completing a master’s degree.
The applicant may have to submit the following documents:
- A recognized master’s degree
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of recommendation
- Proof of English proficiency
- A brief essay outlining the doctoral project
Applicants may have to appear for an interview test where the faculty may test the applicant’s knowledge, communication skills, independent research skills, and the ability to defend opinions..
Applications for the undergraduate and postgraduate programs should be submitted by 30th April.
How to apply
Students can apply online through the Faculty’s online application form.
Alternatively, students can apply via Gyanberry, an official partner for Charles University, to ensure a convenient and timely admission process.
You can read more about the entry requirements and application process at top-ranking medical universities in the Czech Republic.
Scholarships for international students at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
Scholarships under bilateral agreements
- International students can receive scholarships from the Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sports (MEYS) if they are from countries where the Czech Republic holds a bilateral agreement.
- Candidates recommended by the Czech Embassy of a foreign country are eligible to receive the scholarships. Candidates must be willing to undertake research in the Czech Republic.
- A scholarship amount is CZK 9,000/month (USD 400*) and CZK 9,500/month (USD 422.32*) for those without and with a Master’s degree.
Scholarships and Awards from the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
- The Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove offers scholarships to students with the best average grade achieved in an examination.
- Additionally, the Dean presents an award of CZK 10,000 (USD 439.23*) to the best student in the final year of the master’s program in General Medicine.
Apart from the scholarships mentioned above, international medical students in the Czech Republic may be eligible for other scholarships to study medicine, depending on the Faculty of study, year of study, and country of origin.
*Scholarship values in Czech Kurona (CZK) have been converted to USD at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Career prospects at Charles University-Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove
At the faculty of medicine in Hradec Kralove, students receive the best theoretical and clinical education to prepare them as successful doctors. In addition, the summer practice included in the general medicine curriculum exposes students to practical experience.
- International Exchange programs such as the Mayo Clinic and IFSMA provide the best candidates an opportunity to carry out research in a foreign country for a limited duration. Such programs enable students to learn more about their field in a cross-cultural environment.
- Students of the faculty must take the State Medical Examination to be able to practice as doctors in the Czech Republic. They can choose to work in hospitals associated with the faculty or any other hospital in the country.
- Job postings updated on the Charles University website help students discover and apply for new opportunities in the medical field in the Czech Republic.
- Students may even choose to work abroad. The degrees from Charles University and its faculties are internationally recognized. After clearing the qualifying examination, students can practice medicine in their preferred country. Charles University graduates are known to be excellent performers at the USMLE.
The Czech Republic is one of the best destinations to study medicine, offering high-quality education, focus on practical training, advanced medical research and innovation, and international programs. Considerable opportunities after graduating in medicine from the Czech Republic ensure that students are assured of a successful career path.