Study Medicine in Ireland: Fees, Top Universities, Admission Requirements for International Students
As the only English-speaking country in the European Union, Ireland has long been an attractive study destination. It has a robust reputation globally for providing high-quality medical education. Ireland is a medical research leader, thus students can enjoy country’s advanced teaching and research methodologies.
The emphasis on critical thinking and ethics at Ireland’s top medical universities prepares students for an international career. Moreover, the cost of education places the country in a favorable position. Students find medicine in Ireland more affordable than medicine in the UK, which means students can access similar education quality at better costs.
Medicine in Ireland: Highlights
|Programs Offered||MB, Bch, BAO or BMBS|
|Program Duration||4 (graduate entry) to 6 (undergraduate entry) years|
|Average Annual Tuition Cost||USD 53,650|
|Basic Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with chemistry, biology, and physics/mathematics|
|Entrance Exams||GAMSAT/MCAT (for Graduate Entry Programs)|
|NEET-UG Requirement||Required for Indian students application|
|Application Deadline||July (University College Dublin) & January/February (Others)|
|Application Fees||USD 50-90|
Why study Medicine in Ireland?
- Ireland is an economically developed country. It can provide students with world-class education, resources, and infrastructure.
- The Irish Medical Council accredits Irish medical programs. Medicine programs are designed according to the World Federation of Medical Education guidelines.
- Medical degrees from Ireland are recognized across the EU, the UK, Australia, and North America.
- Global recognition of Irish medical degrees allows students to establish an international career.
- Medical universities of Ireland are ranked high by several ranking publishers. QS Ranking placed six Irish universities within the first 400 best medical universities.
- The medical curricula give students exposure to clinical training early in their studies.
- International summer programs at Irish medical universities make students experience healthcare systems in various countries.
Best universities in Ireland for Medicine
Medicine in Ireland is offered as an MB, Bch, BAO (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Obstetrics) or BMBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) program. The program’s duration can range from 4 (for graduate entry) to 6 (for undergraduate entry) years. Here is a list of Irish medical universities along with their rankings.
|QS Ranking 2022*||THE Ranking 2022*||University|
|95||161||Trinity College Dublin|
|151-200||201-250||Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland|
|151-200||301-350||University College Cork|
|151-200||201-250||University College Dublin|
|251-300||301-350||National University of Ireland Galway|
|351-400||601-800||University of Limerick|
*Ranking by subject (Medicine).
Admissions for Medicine programs in Ireland
Admissions to medicine programs in Ireland are conditional upon a candidate’s academic merit. For undergraduate admissions, international students do not have to take the HPAT-Ireland (Health Professions Admission Test-Ireland). Some general requirements are given below.
- 12th-grade certificate with at least 80-90% overall score
- Subject prerequisites of biology, chemistry, physics/mathematics
- Academic transcripts
- English proficiency with at least 6.5 in IELTS or 90 in TOEFL
- Copy of passport
- Statement of purpose
- Reference letters
For admissions into graduate entry programs, students must hold a bachelor’s degree (second class honors, grade one). They must also take GAMSAT (Graduate Australian Medical Schools Admissions Test) followed by an admission interview.
How to apply?
Candidates can place applications through the university portal before the deadlines.
Alternatively, candidates can also apply via Gyanberry for a smooth and timely application process. Gyanberry is the official partner of many top universities in Ireland, including Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, University of Limerick, and more.
Cost of Medical degrees in Ireland
The cost of medical education in Ireland is higher than in other study locations like Poland or Czechia but significantly lower than in the UK. This is one of the primary reasons why international students favor Ireland for medical studies.
Tuition costs of the best medical universities in Ireland have been presented below:
|University||Annual Tuition Cost in EUR||Annual Tuition Cost in USD**|
|Trinity College Dublin||49,500||51,580|
|Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland||58,000||60,437|
|University College Cork||46,000||47,932|
|University College Dublin||56,800||59,186|
|National University of Ireland Galway||50,135||52,241|
|University of Limerick||51,846||54,024|
**Costs mentioned in EUR are converted to USD at 1 EUR = 1.04 USD. Exchange rates are subject to change.
Cost of living in Ireland
Living costs in Ireland vary among cities. Dublin, the capital, is expensive compared to the other two Irish cities of Cork and Galway.
|Particulars||Annual Expense in USD*|
*Costs mentioned in EUR are converted to USD at 1 EUR = 1.04 USD. Exchange rates are subject to change.
Cost of Medicine program in Ireland for Indian students
- Annual tuition costs for Indian students enrolled in Irish medical programs are roughly INR 37,10,700-46,08,900*
- The total annual cost of attendance is estimated at INR 47,24,400-61,43,400*
Cost of Medicine program in Ireland for the UAE students
- Annual tuition costs for students from UAE range between AED 175,870-218,440*
- The total annual cost of attendance approximates AED 223,910-291,160*
*Costs have been converted to INR and AED from USD at the current exchange rates of 81.68 INR/USD and 3.67 AED/USD respectively. Please note that exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for international students
Overseas students can enjoy a further reduction in study costs through scholarships. A few such scholarships are
The Government of Ireland International Education Scholarships Program
The government of Ireland awards scholarships to non-EU students with excellent academics.
The scholarship may be given to
- Final-year undergraduate students
- First-year taught master’s students
- First-year research students
The scholarship amount is €10,000 (USD 10,420*). The award is valid only for one academic year.
Study Abroad Excellence Scholarship (Trinity College Dublin)
This is a scholarship awarded by Trinity College Dublin. International students can join Trinity College for a semester or a year for transfer credit. Students need to submit a personal statement and academic transcripts. The scholarship value is EUR 1,000 (USD 1,042*). The student must be from a non-EU country and must have scored at least a 3.3 GPA (on a scale of 4).
Global Excellence Scholarship (University College Dublin)
This scholarship is for students looking to enroll in BSc/MSc programs in medicine, health sciences, and sports sciences. The scholarship is payable toward tuition fees and will cover 50% or 100% of the fees.
There are many other scholarships apart from the ones listed above. Students should check the university website for the latest updates on scholarships.
Specializations after a medical degree in Ireland
In Ireland, medical graduates often pursue further postgraduate education in medicine to specialize. Medical students have to choose a specialization for training in their final year. Irish universities have partnerships with several prominent hospitals. Through these partnerships, students can gain specialized skills and training in any area of interest. Some popular specializations are
- General Medicine
Career prospects for medical graduates in Ireland
Graduates enjoy excellent prospects after medical studies in Ireland due to Ireland’s advanced learning system. The well-developed healthcare sector ensures that graduates have no shortage of jobs.
- After completing a medical degree, students must obtain a medical license from the Irish Medical Council to practice in Ireland. Doctors in Ireland draw an average annual salary of USD* 61,300.
- Online job portals can help graduates find jobs at the best hospitals and medical organizations in Ireland.
- Irish medical graduates are eligible to practice as doctors in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia. They have to pass the country-specific licensure exam to practice as doctors.
- Indian students can set up their practice in India after clearing FMGE conducted by National Medical Council.
- In UAE, students will have to get a license from the corresponding territory. Four authorities oversee medical licensure in UAE: DHA, MOH, DHCC, and HAAD.