Home to the European headquarters of some of the world’s biggest data tech giants such as Google, Apple, Pfizer, Facebook, LinkedIn, and IBM, Ireland boasts of being the one-stop destination for higher education or Masters in Data Science. As has been widely said, ‘The world’s most valuable resource is no longer oil, but data’; what better place suited than the hub of all data and tech companies in Europe?
Continue reading about all the universities available for pursuing Masters in Data Science in Ireland for international students, keeping note of essential factors such as tuition fees, university rankings, scholarships, etc.
Overview: Masters in Data Science in Ireland
|Duration of program||1 to 1.5 years (full-time), 3 years (part-time)|
|Annual tuition fees||12,000 to 25,000 EUR|
|Entrance exams||GRE or GMAT|
Why Study Masters Data Science in Ireland?
Ireland, being vast in its education degrees, furnishes many reasons for international students to pursue a Master’s degree in Data Science at an esteemed university. Some of the significant factors influencing those mentioned above are:
- Work Visa: Foreign students who get a master’s degree at an Irish institution can work there for two years after that on a post-study work visa. Thanks to this curriculum, anyone wishing to begin a job overseas will find it the appropriate destination.
- Job Opportunities: It is no surprise that Ireland is the technology hub. Follows suit the vast number of companies such as Google, Apple, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, etc. Companies of such magnitude can never have enough data scientists! On top of this, while pursuing a Master’s Degree in Data Sciences, you can work in 28 countries of the EU. The MS in Data Science is a vocational degree, so there are many employment options.
- Wide Variety of Universities: Data Science Master’s Degrees are offered by University College Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, the National University of Ireland Galway, University College Cork, and the University of Limerick. And to make matters even better, each of these five universities was listed in the 2020 World University Rankings.
- Safety: According to the Global Peace Index Ranking, 2022, Ireland ranks 3rd when it comes to being the safest country in the world. This provides for a safer and more secure learning student life.
- Industry-Oriented Field: Since the average duration for the Data Science Masters program in Ireland is 1 to 1.5 years, and Ireland plays host to some of the top companies in the world, employment after post-graduation from this field in Ireland becomes highly lucrative.
- It’s Ireland: The creative, innovative, and advancing country is not just tech-savvy but the perfect place, including picturesque views and calm meadows, and ideal for a quick getaway to much-needed students worldwide.
Top Universities Offering MS in Data Science in Ireland
Ireland has nine significant universities offering MS in Data Science & Analytics courses for international students, out of which five are under 500 in the Times Higher Education Ranking 2022, and 4 are under 500 in the QS Top Universities Ranking 2023. Below are some top universities, the courses they offer, and their recent rankings.
|Universities||Course(s)||Program type/Duration||Times Higher Education Ranking 2023||QS Top Universities Ranking 2023|
|Trinity College, Dublin||Computer Science – Data Science (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip)||Full time – 1-year||161||98|
|University College, Dublin||MSc. Data & Computational Science||Online/Part-time – 3 years||201-250||181|
|MSc. Social Data Analytics||Full time – 1-year|
|University of Galway||MSc. Computer Science/Data Science||Full time – 1-year||301-350||270|
|University College, Cork||MSc. Data Science & Analytics||Full time – 1-year||301-350||303|
|Maynooth University||MSc. Data Science & Analytics||Full time – 1-year||401-500||801|
|Dublin City University||MSc in Computing (with Major Options)||Full time – 1-year||401-500||471|
|Technological University, Dublin||MSc. Computer Science/Data Science||Full time – 1.5 years||1000-1200||801|
|MSc. in Advanced Software Development||Full time – 1.5 years|
|Letterkenny Institute of Technology||MS Data Science||Full time – 1-year||–||–|
|National College of Ireland||MSc in Data Analytics||Full time – 1-year||–||–|
Admission Requirements for MS in Data Science in Ireland
Universities in Ireland provide top-notch, economically sound data science programs. The finest Irish institutions, however, have strict admission standards for their MS in Data Science programs. While there are different qualifying requirements and standards, there are some universal standards that must be met to be admitted to Irish institutions.
- A minimum score of 6 or 6.5 on an English Proficiency test such as IELTS is required, as a mode of teaching and learning in Ireland is in English.
- Standardized examination test scores, such as GRE or GMAT, to assess the student’s merit. Some universities may waive this requirement if a student has work experience.
- Continuous education for 16 years without any gap is a must.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering with a passing percentage of 60% is necessary for admission to a post-graduate course in Data Sciences at any university in Ireland.
- Having 2/3 letters of recommendation from previous universities or jobs will give you an edge over other university applicants.
- Documents such as education transcripts, English proficiency test scores, degree certificates, and passport has to remain handy at all times.
Cost of Studying Masters in Data Science from Ireland
Depending on the course and university of choice, fees may change. Ireland also has a good amount of affordable universities that offer this course. Irish students frequently pay less to attend public institutions than international students. In addition to the difference in the tuition fee, international students also have to manage their living expenses and additional costs such as food and transportation.
The tuition fee for studying the post-graduate course for international students in some of the top universities in Ireland are mentioned below:
|Universities||Tuition Fees (2023-24)|
|Trinity College, Dublin||24,669 EUR|
|University College, Dublin||12,618 EUR|
|University College, Cork||18,900 EUR|
|University of Galway||25,090 EUR|
|Maynooth University||15,000 EUR|
|Dublin City University||18,000 EUR|
|Technological University, Dublin||21,750 EUR|
|Letterkenny Institute of Technology||12,000 EUR|
|National College of Ireland||15,000 EUR|
The trend of taking out student loans and working part-time jobs is on the rise in Ireland. In addition, part-time jobs for international students in Ireland pay well enough to work out the living expenses. The living expenses for international students in Ireland add up to 10,000 to 16,000 EUR per year.
Scholarships for MS in Data Science in Ireland
There are many scholarships based on merit for international students pursuing MS in Data Sciences from Irish universities, as Ireland has massive scope for academic funding. Some famous scholarships available to international students in Ireland are:
|Max Arthur Macaullife Special Merit Scholarship||Complete tuition fee|
|Centenary Scholarship Program, Dublin Institute of Technology||50% of tuition fee|
|UCD Scholarships||50% of tuition fee|
|Maynooth University Scholarships||1,220 to 3,440 EUR per academic year|
|Sir Peter Fryer Special Merit Scholarship||1,565 EUR|
|Global Excellence Scholarship for University College, Dublin||100% or 50% tuition fee (depending on merit)|
Job Opportunities after MS Data Science from Ireland
You can work as a software programmer or just a data scientist thanks to this program’s integration of machine and knowledge research. The job of a data science graduate opens up a lot of possibilities, such as being employed as a:
- Data Analyst
- Big Data Engineer
- Data Science Expert
- Data Engineer
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- IT Operations Manager
- Technical Product Manager and many more since the degree include a lot of aspects to be further specialized upon and graduates can take up various different kind of posts in different companies.
Top employers in Ireland for graduates in data science include:
- IT giants like Apple, Cisco, Dell, Intel, and OpenText
- Consulting agencies such as First Derivatives, and Accenture
- Financial firms like Bank of Ireland and Bank of America
- Manufacturing companies such as IBM, Enterprise Ireland
If you want to study Masters in Data Science, Ireland is the ideal location because there are more employment prospects in fields linked to data science there. In Ireland, data science enables you to gain a sizable footing in any organization that manages enormous volumes of data.
One must consider factors such as cost, academic quality, on-campus amenities, and worldwide rankings while making a choice. Our admissions counseling services have assisted thousands of students in getting into their dream universities. For more information, kindly book a video appointment with our experts.