University of Nicosia (UNIC): Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is a private non-funding university founded in 1980. With a population of more than 14,000 students from around 100 countries worldwide, it is the largest in Cyprus. Following a global outreach strategy, UNIC also has regional study centers in Athens, Bucharest, and New York City. The university has its presence in 19 cities and has 400 University partners for student exchange or research partnerships, and is one of the top Universities to study in Cyprus.
UNIC operates the largest and the oldest medical school in Cyprus. Moreover, it has proved itself as a pioneer in online education in Europe. It was recently awarded a 5-star QS rating for online/distance learning, becoming the first university in the European Union to gain such recognition.
UNIC has six schools offering a wide range of study programs specializing in medicine, health sciences, accounting, education, architecture, and international relations. The university aims to promote knowledge and learning and produces high-quality graduates of international standards.
|Year of Establishment||1980|
|Application Deadline for International Students||Fall Semester: Late June
Spring Semester: Late October
|Acceptance Rate||90-100% (Depends on the course)|
|Number of Academic Faculties||6|
|Estimated cost of attendance per year||USD 15,000-18,000*|
|Scholarships for International Students||Available|
|Tuition for general medicine program||Initial 3 Years: USD 19,295*
Final 3 Years: USD 23,583*
University of Nicosia Rankings
- According to the 2022 edition of the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, UNIC was claimed among the top 601-800 universities in the world.
- UNIC was ranked 91 in QS World University Rankings for Emerging Europe and Central Asia Region.
- It is the largest University in Southern Europe that Teaches Primarily English
- UNIC is ranked 32 in the World In Quality Education by THE university Impact Rankings.
Why Study at UNIC?
- UNIC is the largest university in southern Europe, teaching primarily in English
- The university has a high acceptance rate between 90-100% depending on the course.
- UNIC has a very good international presence and has study centers spread globally.
- The university’s fully digitalized and student-centric environment promotes learning and innovation.
- The contribution of UNIC to creating 25 research centers and academic institutions has made it a pioneer in the education of research.
UNIC Programs & Courses
The university provides various bachelor’s and master’s courses through the six schools mentioned below:
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Law
- Medical School
- School of Sciences and Engineering
Some of the popular undergrad courses include B.Sc in Electrical Engineering, B.B.A. in Business Administration, L.L.B., Bachelors in Architecture, and so on.
Some of the highlighted Master’s courses include M.SC. in health Services, M.B.A., M.A. in Literature, and in International relations, etc. UNIC is also one of the top Universities to study medicine in Cyprus.
Apart from these, there are 17 online courses and 13 Doctoral courses for prospective students at the University of Nicosia. Courses in Business Administration, Literature, and education sciences have been made available at our tips by UNIC.
Campus and Accommodation
- UNIC campus includes customized buildings in the urban landscape of Nicosia to support academic requirements. The neighborhood has been oriented to give unique social experiences to the students.
- The campus is nicely incorporated with student amenities and support services. The buildings are walking distance away, with parking facilities available for the off-campus students.
- The library has been developed keeping in mind the quality of educational support it needs to provide.
- The campus also has various student-friendly cafeterias for coffee and meals.
- The recent addition to the campus is the UFIT Fitness center which has become the leading gym in Cyprus with excellent services and professional guidance by specialists in sports and health.
Admission Requirements for International Students
UNIC houses students from over 70 countries, making it one of the largest international communities. With a high acceptance rate of 95%, the general admission policy of this university relies on the previous academic grades and overall academic performance.
- The essential requirement is a Recognized High School Leaving Certificate (HSLC). Students with a lower HSLC grade than 7.5/10 or equivalent are eligible for extra academic guidance during the initial year of study. It is advised to check the requirements for specific programs as some programs have higher entry requirements.
- English Language Proficiency – The table below lists the minimum English Language Requirement (ELR) for enrollment in a program to be offered in English.
|English Qualification||ELR Equivalent|
|TOEFL||525 and above|
|Computer-based TOEFL||193 and above|
|Internet-based TOEFL||80 and above|
|IELTS||6 and above|
|Cambridge Exams (First Certificate)||B and above|
|Cambridge Exams (Proficiency Certificate)||C and above|
|Michigan Examination of Proficiency in English (CaMLA)||pass|
|Pearson PTE General||Level 3 and above|
(The Greek Foreign Language Examinations
for the State Certificate of Language Proficiency)
|Level B2, and above|
|Examination, for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE)
Michigan Language Assessment
by Cambridge Assessment English & University of Michigan
|650 average score for ALL skills and above|
- The minimum requirement for admission is a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university. Special admission requirements may apply to various departments. Thus, it is advised to check the particular course details as well.
- Master students are considered qualified for English requirements if their first degree was taught in English. Otherwise, the minimum scores are listed below.
|English Qualification||ELR Equivalent|
|TOEFL Paper Based||550 and above|
|TOEFL computer-based||213 and above|
|GCSE “O” Level or IGCSE||Minimum “C”|
|IELTS||6.5 or above|
– For more details on the eligibility criteria for specific courses, get in touch with Gyanberry.
Application Deadlines for International Students
|Fall Semester (September to January)||Late June|
|Spring Semester (February to May)||Late October|
|Summer Session (June to July)||Late February|
A non-refundable amount of USD 59/ 217 AED* is charged as you apply for the courses in UNIC.
The admission checklist requires the following
- Application Form
- A copy of your passport highlighting personal details and photo)
- A true copy of the Academic Records
- For Bachelor’s Degree applicants: High School Leaving Certificate and mark sheet
- For Masters Degree applicants: Bachelor’s Degree and transcripts
- For Doctorate applicants: Bachelors and Masters Degree, including official transcripts
- Two Letters of recommendation/reference from professors or employers (for Masters and Doctorate applicants only).
- Curriculum Vitae–CV (for postgraduate applicants- Masters and Doctorate)
- Personal Statement (for postgraduate applicants- Masters and Doctorate)
- Research proposal (for Doctorate applicants)
- Evidence of work experience (where applicable)
- Portfolio (for selected programs of study)
Certain programs may have additional requirements.
Tuition fees and Cost of Attendance
The estimated yearly tuition fee for international students range as mentioned below.
(36732- 45915 AED)*
Cost of Attendance
|Accommodation (shared accommodation)||3467-5779 USD
|Accommodation (single accommodation||5779-8090 USD
|Food and personal expenses||3872-5779 USD
|Books and stationery||462-578 USD
*Converted at the rate 1 EUR=1.07 USD &1 USD=3.67 AED. The exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Scholarships for International students
The University supports international students experiencing financial hardships and examines every application individually.
Academic merit scholarships
- Students in their first year at the university are eligible for a scholarship based on their High School Leaving Certificate grades.
- Scholarships are also awarded according to the student’s academic performance at the University.
- Students involved in the University sports teams are eligible to receive a scholarship of up to 40% of their tuition fees.
- The participation and type of sport determine the exact amount.
Being one of the most influential international communities, life in UNIC would be a blissful experience overall. The application procedure has been developed to make the process smooth for all international applicants. Everything comes in handy for UNIC alumni, from academics to a wholesome personality.
Career Prospects for International Students
UNIC medical school has a graduate employability record of 99.8%. More than 200 medical centers around the world recruited students for residency training, internships, and research.
Some prominent recruiters are John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, St Mary’s Hospital, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and University College Hospital in London, Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, etc.
Working in Cyprus
If one wishes to work in Cyprus, the person must get a work permit first. After obtaining a work permit, only then should you apply for a Cyprus work visa.
The Cyprus work visa is simply an entry visa – it allows you to travel to Cyprus for employment and long-term stay. You cannot get a work visa if you do not have a work permit.