Charles University: Faculty of Pharmacy : Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
The Faculty of Pharmacy at Charles University is an important center for pharmaceutical research and education in the Czech Republic. It ranks as the best among the top research institutions in the country. The faculty was established in 1969 and has continued since then in the field of pharmacy. Charles University is the oldest, largest, and widely respected among the Czech Republican universities. It was the first university to be established in Central Europe. Its name goes to the founder, King Charles IV, King of Bohemia, and King of the Romans.
Pharmacy is a medical branch focussed on research, production, and supply of drugs. All the related fields of study offer satisfying and valued careers in the healthcare profession. The article discusses the faculty of pharmacy in detail, including courses, finances, and application details.
Charles University is one of the top Public universities in Czechia.
According to the QS Global World Rankings 2022, Charles University is ranked:
- #266 in World University Rankings
- #51-100 in Rankings By Subject
According to the US News, Charles University in Prague Ranks:
- #218 in Best Global Universities
- #93 in Best Global Universities in Europe
- #1 in Best Global Universities in the Czech Republic
- #208 in Pharmacology and Toxicology
According to World University Rankings, Charles University ranks:
- #501–600th in World University Rankings 2022
- #401–600th Impact Rankings 2021
Why study Pharmacy at Charles University
- Pharmacy and its related fields of study offer a choice of meaningful career opportunities in the future.
- Charles University is old and very well recognized in the field of education in the Czech Republic.
- Studies at the faculty of pharmacy are interdisciplinary. Most pharmaceutical disciplines are chemistry and biology oriented but here, courses also cover the social and technological aspects.
- The faculty provides excellent practical skills to students. Graduates are professionally skilled and have a wide range of career possibilities to excel. Also, there is a huge scope of growth as the practical knowledge and years of experience increase.
- More than a hundred research papers are released from the laboratories and find space in prestigious scientific journals, bringing back eminent awards in the field.
Departments at Faculty of Pharmacy
- Departments at the Faculty of Pharmacy
Chemically or physical-chemically oriented departments:
- Department of Biophysics and Physical Chemistry
- Department of Organic And Bioorganic Chemistry
- Department of Analytical Chemistry
- Department of Biochemical Sciences
- Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Department of Pharmaceutical Technology
Biologically and medically oriented departments:
- Department of Pharmaceutical Botany
- Department of Biological and Medical Sciences
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Department of Pharmacognosy
Department with social, public relation and economic orientation:
- Department of Social and Clinical Pharmacy
- Department of Physical Education and Sports
Courses, Deadlines and Admission Requirements
Charles University shows an acceptance rate of 29%. It has more than 50 thousand enrollments. Courses at various graduate and postgraduate levels are discussed here with other application details.
Course duration: 5 years (leading to a Master’s degree)
Medium: English and Czech
Deadlines for the academic year 2021/2022: May 31, 2021.
Documents required for acceptance for studies:
- The European Baccalaureate diploma or Diploma issued by secondary schools
- Documents validated (officially verified) according to the country of the origin.
The application process is carried online. Students can also apply via Gyanberry.
Graduates are qualified to pursue the preparation, manufacture, and testing of medicinal products, as listed in the Directive 85/432/EEC, 85/433/EEC of the European Commission.
Pharmaceutical Sciences – Master study program
Course duration: 2 years
Deadlines for admission in the academic year 2021/2022: May 31, 2021
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent first degree in the field of Pharmacy, Biomedicine, Life Sciences, and study disciplines related to Human Biology (e.g. physiology, biochemistry, pathology) and Chemistry (e.g. organic chemistry, analytical chemistry) obtained from an internationally recognized university
- Written tests – multiple-choice test in Pharmaceutical Botany (20 questions), Organic and Bioorganic Chemistry (20 questions), Human Physiology and Pathophysiology (20 questions) Biochemistry and Pathological Biochemistry (20 questions), and Analytical Chemistry (20 questions). Level of English language tested by English grammar test (40 questions).
The application process is carried online. Students can also apply via Gyanberry application services. Graduates are ready to work in pharmaceutical and biotechnological companies where their work profile includes drug discovery, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, and metabolism. They can also pursue further research in the Development of Drugs at universities around the globe.
The Postgraduate (Doctoral) Studies
The pharmacy graduates with a master’s degree or equivalent are eligible to apply for three-year internal or five-year external courses of postgraduate doctoral studies. The course involves scientific work in selected research projects under the supervision of the respective faculty.
Fields available to obtain the Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) at the Faculty of Pharmacy:
- Bio-organic Chemistry
- Drug Control
- Clinical Pharmacy
- Pathobiochemistry and Xenobiochemistry
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Technology
- Social Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice
- Toxicology of Natural Products.
Deadline for application 2021/2022: until November 30, 2021
- A graduate of university studies of pharmacy (or some related fields such as medicine or natural sciences) who has acquired a Magister (Mgr.) or Master (MS) degree or its equivalent can apply for admission to the four-year internal postgraduate doctoral studies.
- Assessment of foreign secondary and tertiary education in the admissions procedure by the Czech Embassy or Ministry of Education of the country.
- The photograph (passport size)
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Curriculum vitae
- English certificate (TOEFL score: 50-70 or IELTS score: 5.5 – 5.0.)
- Two written reference
The application process is carried online. Students can also apply via Gyanberry.
Research at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University
Research at the faculty of Pharmacy deals with all aspects of pharmaceuticals, be it organic synthesis, pharmacodynamics, drug formulation, and the list goes on. The research here also focuses on food supplements of nutritional significance and therapeutic values.
Tuition, fees and cost of living
|Course||Annual tuition fee (USD)||Annual Tuition fee (AED)|
“Master” Course in English
|8809 USD||32355 AED|
“Ph.D.” Course in English
Accommodation at University halls of Residence:
|Lodging at University Halls of Residence in Hradec Králové||174 USD per bed per month||639 AED per bed per month|
|Board (3 meals a day)||139 USD per month||511 AED per month|
|Tickets for municipal transport||12 USD for a month or |
23 USD for 3 months
|43 AED for a month or |
85 AED for 3 months
Cost of living:
The average living costs in the Czech Republic if the student opts for personal accommodation might range from 350 to 750 USD per month (1286 to 2755 AED per month), including meals, accommodation, public transport, and culture. The expense might vary with personal choices. Some of the particulars are listed below.
|Particular||In USD||In AED|
|Student dormitory||around 150 USD per month||Around 551 AED per month|
|Private room in a flat||from 250 USD per month||From 918 AED per month|
|Private flat||from 450 USD per month||From 1653 AED per month|
|Lunch in a student’s canteen||around 2 USD||Around 7 AED|
|Restaurant meal||from 6 USD||From 22 AED|
|Fitness center admission||from 4.5 USD||From 16 AED|
|Swimming pool||from 3.6 USD per hour||From 13 AED per hour|
|Bike rental||9–23 USD per day||33-84 AED per day|
The faculty of Pharmacy does not provide any specific scholarships for the courses mentioned above. However, students could look for various scholarships provided by their home countries. Also, there are many third-party sources that provide financial aid to students keen to carry their careers abroad. G-scholar, by Gyanberry, is one such Scholarship awarded by Gyanberry. It is based on academic performance and extracurricular achievements.
The Faculty of Pharmacy at the Charles University, Czech Republic has been well known for its contribution in the field of pharmaceutical science, be it education or research. The graduates from this university have shown tremendous achievements in the field.