Saratov State Medical University : Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, and Scholarships
Saratov State Medical University is one of the oldest universities in Russia. It was established in the year 1909 and is located in the city of Saratov. Since then, SSMU has followed the classical system of teaching medicine, which majorly comprises detailed powerful theoretical lectures and followed by practical training in various clinical departments. SSMU is among the top universities for medical studies in Russia.
SSMU is globally recognized by various medical council bodies including the National Medical Commission (NMC) and the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS). Every year more than 500 students come to the university for their higher education, and currently, there are 1500 international students.
The university has different faculties including General Medicine, Pediatrics, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Clinical Psychology, Nursing. However, they offer only one course in English which is MD in General Medicine.
Why study at Saratov State Medical University?
- Offers globally recognized degrees and graduates from the university are eligible to practice their medical career in any country.
- Recognized by various medical councils including the National Medical Commission and World Directory of Medical.
- Provides good quality education at an affordable cost.
- Hospitals affiliated with SSMU provide enough opportunities for students to gain practical training after medical studies in Russia.
- The cost of living in Saratov is very low.
- Lots of student involvement opportunities with a range of student associations.
Saratov State Medical University rankings
- SSMC is ranked in #801-1000 in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings (2021).
- According to 4icu.org SSMC is #130 in the country rank and #3873 in the world rank of Russian University Rankings (2021).
- SSMC was awarded an ‘A’ (highest mark) in the National Aggregate Rating (2021).
Programs and courses offered at Saratov State Medical University
SMCC offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in the field of medicine. However, MD in General medicine is the only course offered in English. The course duration is 6 years, out of which 1 year is an internship. The course is taught by 48 different departments and 6 different laboratory and training blocks of the university.
Campus and accommodation
SSMU’s campus is located in Saratov, Saratov Oblast, Russia.
SSMU offers hostel facilities for all international students. The rooms are shared by two students of the same gender. All the rooms are equipped with basic amenities that are essential for comfortable and hassle-free living. They provide a central heating and cooling system to suit the changing weather of the city. There is a kitchen on every floor where students can cook their food. Laundry facilities are also available. The hostel premises are under CCTV surveillance and the girls’ hostels are under the supervision of female wardens.
Admission requirements for international students
- Application: Online or via Gyanberry Admission Services
- Eligibility Requirements:
- The minimum age required is 17 on 31st December of the year in which the admission is being taken.
- The candidate must have completed class higher secondary with at least 65% from a regular board.
- The student must have studied the subjects Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in his/her higher secondary education.
- Documents required:
- Identity document with confirmation of citizenship with its notarized translation to Russian.
- Original or a copy of the educational certificate with the notarized translation to Russian and its applications to be recognized in the Russian Federation at a level not lower than general secondary education.
- 4 photos (3cm x 4cm).
- Original or copy of the medical certificate obtained in the Russian Federation.
- Copy of the entry visa to the Russian Federation (if a foreign citizen has arrived at the Russian Federation under the entry visa).
- Migration card with a registration mark for citizens with the right to enter the Russian Federation without a visa.
- Medical Certificate
- Entrance tests: The form and the list of entrance tests for foreign citizens are determined and organized according to the admission of citizens of the Russian Federation to the University.
Tuition, fees, and total cost of attendance
The tuition fees for the General Medicine Program for each year:
|Year||Tuition Fees (USD)|
Cost of Living:
|Expense||Cost per year (USD)|
|Internet and phone charges||$132|
|Sports and Entertainment||$684|
The annual cost of attendance for an international student in Saratov State Medical University would be approximately 9,092 USD or 38,731 AED.
Scholarships for International students
SSMU does not provide scholarships or financial aid for international students. Students can avail U.S government-funded scholarships or any scholarships provided by the home country of the student.
One of the Russian-funded scholarships is the Government grant by medical colleges in Russia. The international student needs to be academically proficient to be eligible for this grant. The student has to write the Uniform State Examination (EGE) in order to qualify for the scholarship. The scholarship includes the tuition fee, maintenance allowance, and dormitory accommodation.
Saratov State Medical University is one of the top universities for medical studies in Russia. The General Medicine program is globally accredited and the graduates are eligible to practice their medical career in any country. Apart from this, the cost of attendance for this course is also very low.