There are over 400 public and private universities in Germany. The country has more than 400,000 international students for higher education. The excellent education standards at affordable costs make Germany one of the most preferred study destinations. Studying at public universities in Germany costs only EUR 100-350 each semester. But securing a seat at a German public university can be a competitive affair. Some study programs in Germany are bound by “Numerus Clausus.” Translated as “Limited Number,” Numerus Clauses restrict the number of applicants to a study program. This can mean that some students may not be accepted into their preferred study program each academic year.
Most private universities in Germany do not have Numerus Clausus. This can increase one’s chances of acceptance to study programs, depending on other eligibility criteria. There are more English-taught programs available at private universities in Germany. International students can find it convenient to study in English without having to learn German.
This article features 12 of the most popular private universities in Germany for international students.
Popular private universities in Germany
IU International University of Applied Sciences
IU International University of Applied Sciences is a state-approved private university. It has campuses in Berlin and Bad Honnef. The university also offers a wide range of study programs in an online format. IU is internationally recognized and accredited by organizations such as the German Accreditation Council and FIBAA.
IU has more than 85,000 students and 600+ teaching and support staff. There are 200+ study programs at the university. Popular programs at the university include
- B.A. – Business Administration
- B.Sc. – Computer Science
- B.A. – Hospitality Management
- M.Sc. – Data Science
- M.A. – Marketing Management
- MBA – Engineering Management
- MBA – Supply Chain Management
Cologne Business School
CBS International Business School is a private, state-recognized university of applied sciences. The university offers accredited bachelor’s, master’s, and MBA programs in Business and related subjects. The programs are available as full-time, part-time, or dual modes. The university has campuses in Cologne, Berlin, Mainz, Potsdam, Aachen, and more. With more than 30% of international students coming from 75+ nations, CBS supports a multicultural environment.
Programs at the university are accredited by IACBE, Wissenschaftsrat, and FIBAA. Some programs at the university include
- Business Psychology (B.Sc.)
- Finance & Management (B.Sc.)
- International Business (B.A.) with specialization
- Digital Marketing (M.A.)
- Digital Transformation Management (M.A.)
- Global Finance (M.Sc.)
- Tourism & Sustainable Management (M.A.)
- HRM & Leadership (M.A.)
- International Business – IB (M.A.)
- IB – Entrepreneurship (M.A.)
ISM International School of Management
For 30 years, ISM International School of Management has been on the German education scene. The university has garnered a network of close to 190 renowned partner universities. Education at ISM is practice-oriented, exposing students to projects in prominent corporations. The university has an impressive teacher-student ratio of 1:7. Personal attention and mentorship are critical aspects of teaching at ISM.
The university offers business and management degrees. Bachelor’s, master’s, and MBA programs are available. ISM also offers Ph.D. and DBA programs in collaboration with partner universities. Some popular programs at ISM include
- B.Sc. International Management
- B.Sc. Finance & Management
- B.Sc. Information Systems
- M.Sc. Finance
- M.Sc. Business Intelligence & Data Science
- M.A. Luxury, Fashion & Sales Management
- MBA General Management
Munich Business School
Munich Business School was founded in 1991. The university envisions being the preferred university for globally-minded individuals and supporting them in their personal development. More than 620 students are enrolled in the university’s programs. International students at the university from more than 70 nations.
Munich Business School is accredited by FIBAA and the Council of Science and Humanities. MBS is also a member of international associations such as AACSB, PRME, EMBA Consortium, The Munich Innovation Ecosystem, etc.
Some of the many programs offered at the university are:
- Bachelor of International Business
- Master Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Master Sports Business and Communication
- Master International Marketing and Brand Management
- MBA General Management
- Doctor of Business Administration
Berlin International University of Applied Sciences
Berlin International University of Applied Sciences is a non-profit university located in Berlin. The university emphasizes innovative and practice-oriented education. The university consists of a diverse body from more than 92 countries. The programs at the university are accredited by state-recognized agency ACQUIN. Other accreditations include
- Science Council (Wissenschaftsrat)
- Foundation Accreditation Council (Stiftung Akkreditierungsrat)
- Association of Private Universities (VPH)
- Federal Association of Deans in Business Administration
Programs at the university are oriented to train students in design and business-relevant professions.
- BA Architecture
- BA Interior Architecture/Interior Design
- BA Product Design
- BA Digital Business & Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MA Interior Architecture/Interior Design
SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences
The SRH Berlin University of Applied Sciences was established in 2019 with the merger of 3 institutions. In 2020, SRH Berlin established a new campus in Hamburg. Today, SRH Berlin is divided into 6 schools in 3 locations: Berlin, Dresden, and Hamburg.
SRH Berlin’s students hail from 90+ countries, enrolled across 70+ programs. The university has degree programs in management, media, Technology, and creative fields.
- B.A. Creative Industries Management
- B.Sc. Computer Science – Focus on Health Informatics
- B.A. Advertising & Brand Communication
- B.A. Film & Motion Design
- M.A. Photography
- M.A. Entrepreneurship
- M.Sc. Supply Chain Management
- M.Eng (Engineering and International Business)
Steinbeis University School of Management and Innovation
Steinbeis University is based on the philosophy of relying on innovation and people to prepare for the future. The university imparts “Dual Education”: a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills. Steinbeis University SMI has a network of world-class industry contacts and university partnerships. Moreover, faculty at the university are seasoned professionals with the experience to share industry insider knowledge.
Programs at the university have international accreditation by FIBAA. The university offers the following programs.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- Master of Science in Business Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
EU Business School Munich
EU Business School was established in 1973. It is a high-ranking and internationally accredited business-oriented university. The University is in two other locations of, Barcelona and Geneva, apart from Munich. Programs at EU Business School are aimed at fostering skills relevant to innovation and leadership.
EU Business School has a multicultural environment. The students and faculty at the university come from 100 nations. The small class sizes ensure the quality of education and personal attention. In addition, the international exchange programs and partner networks provide students with a global experience.
- Programs at the university include
- BBA – Bachelor of Business Administration
- BA – Bachelor of Arts in Digital Business, Design & Innovation
- BA – Bachelor of Arts in Communication & Public Relations
- Master in Marketing
- Master in Business Analytics & Data Science
- MBA in Communication & Public Relations
- MBA in Global Banking & Finance
Kühne Logistics University
Kühne Logistics University is a private university dedicated to education in Logistics and Supply Chain Management. KLU is among the few private universities in Germany eligible to confer their PhDs. More than 400 full-time students enrolled in the university are exposed to a world-class learning infrastructure. KLU is a university with several accolades, recognitions, and accreditations. Some of them include
- Received Global Student Satisfaction Award
- Topped in international orientation by U-Multirank
- Excellence in Supply Chain Research: SCM Journal List
- Top-ranked in research productivity by WirtschaftsWoche ranking
Programs offered at the university include:
- Bachelor of Business Administration in International Management; Sustainable Management; Supply Chain Management; Digital Management & Innovation
- Master in Logistics & SCM
- MBA Leadership & SCM
- Doctoral Program (Ph.D.)
GISMA Business School
GISMA Business School was founded in 1999. It has since been instrumental in helping talented graduates enter the business world. GISMA equips students to develop problem-solving through innovative solutions. The university is state-recognized and offers some of the best degree programs in Europe. GISMA‘s Global MBA program is accredited by AMB-an honor shared by only 2% of b-schools worldwide. The university takes an international approach with several educational and corporate partner networks. Moreover, the student body at GISMA comprises students from more than 40 countries.
Popular programs at GISMA are
- BSc International Business Management
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Data Science, AI, and Digital Business
- Global MBA
- MSc Data Science, AI, and Digital Business
- MSc International Business Management
- MSc Leadership for Digital Transformation
Arden University Berlin
Arden University’s Berlin campus was founded in 2018. Since its founding, the university has offered professional programs to deserving students globally. The UK’s Quality Assurance Agency recognizes Arden University. It is recognized by several other international bodies, such as
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Association for Project Management (APM)
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM)
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
Moreover, the university has membership in “The German-British Chamber of Industry and Commerce” as well as the “China-Britain Business Council (CBBC).”
Arden University Berlin offers 14 undergraduate programs and 8 graduate-level programs. Popular ones include
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BSc (Hons) Health and Care Management
- BSc (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- MSc Engineering Management
- MSc IT Security Management
- MSc Project Management
- MSc Strategic Digital Marketing
University of Europe for Applied Sciences
University of Europe for Applied Sciences is one of the leading universities in Germany for programs in Business, Art, Design, Tech, Software, and more. The university has been ranked among Germany’s top 10 private universities for business. UE is accredited by the State of Brandenburg, FIBAA, AACSB, Wissenschaftsrat, and more. 93% of graduates of UE are known to be employed within the first 12 months of graduation.
Programs at UE include bachelor’s or master’s programs in:
- Communication Design
- Game Design
- UX UI Design
- Digital Product Management
- Smart City Management
- International Sport & Event Management
- International Business Management
- Software Engineering
- Data Science
You can easily apply to your preferred program at any of the above universities through Gyanberry. Book an appointment with our counselor today to learn more about studying in Germany.