Charles University-First Faculty of Medicine: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Scholarships, Career Prospects
The Charles University Medical Faculty is the oldest medical faculty in Central Europe and the world’s 11th oldest medical school. Located in Prague, the college offers programs in all areas of general medicine. First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, represents the most prominent faculty in the Czech Republic with almost 1200 staff members and 3400 students joining from the United States, Canada, India, United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Israel, Malaysia, and the Middle East, and more.
First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University bears a remarkable history dating back to its year of establishment in 1348. It is one of the best-ranking general medicine universities globally and is placed within the top 1%.
Additionally, students who wish to study dentistry in the Czech Republic should consider the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, as an opportunity to experience its excellence.
Why study at the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University?
- Courses at First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, are English-taught, allowing more than 800 students from 50 countries to participate in general medicine and related courses.
- The faculty has 1700 distinguished scientific and teaching staff, including 330 professors and associate professors with years of academic and professional experience.
- Overall, each academic year, the faculty educates 4500 students in small groups of 25. The student-to-faculty ratio is 3:1. Students are assured of personal attention and guidance.
- The university produces 540 graduates and 700 doctoral each year. 220 students choose to do internships abroad. Students are also exposed to doing internships in any hospital in the Czech Republic.
- The faculty maintains international relations with universities globally and participates in various international programs. Students can easily find employment in countries abroad.
- The Faculty is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools published by WHO. Faculty is also listed in the Directory of Postsecondary Institutions published by the US Department of Education
The First Faculty of Medicine-Charles University Rankings
The First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University is not only among the best medical universities in the Czech Republic for international students but is also one of the highest-ranking universities globally in the subject area of medicine. Being one of the oldest faculties in Europe, famous university rankings publishers have rated the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, consistently in the first 200 rankings.
|QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022: Life Sciences & Medicine||159|
|Shanghai Ranking- Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021: Clinical Medicine||151-200|
|US News Ranking: Best Global Universities for Clinical Medicine 2022||133|
|QS EECA University Rankings 2022||2|
Programs offered by First Faculty of Medicine-Charles University
International undergraduate students looking to study general medicine in the Czech Republic can find an excellent opportunity in the First Faculty of Medicine.
The two undergraduate programs offered by the First Faculty of Medicine are General Medicine and Dentistry.
The full-time six-year general medicine program leads to the students receiving MUDr (Medicinae Universae Doctor or Doctor of General Medicine)
At the end of the full-time five-year dentistry program, students receive MDDr (Medicinae Dentium Doctor or Doctor of Dental Medicine)
Under Czech-taught programs, students can specialize in addictology, physiotherapy, intensive care, occupational therapy, nutritional therapy, and midwifery
There are 21 Postgraduate level full-time English-taught programs at the First Faculty of Medicine. The duration of all the below-mentioned doctoral programs is four years.
- Biochemistry and Pathobiochemistry
- Biomedical Informatics
- Cardiovascular Science
- Cell Biology and Pathology
- Developmental and Cell Biology
- Experimental Surgery
- History of Medicine
- Human Physiology and Pathophysiology
- Imaging Methods in Medicine
- Medical Biophysics
- Medical Psychology and Psychopathology
- Molecular and Cellular Biology, Genetics and Virology
- Nutritional and Metabolic Sciences
- Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Preventive Medicine and Epidemiology
Campus and Accommodation
The First Faculty of Medicine is among the 17 faculties of Charles University, which has its university buildings scattered across various parts of Prague. The First Faculty of Medicine is located in New Town, with the Faculty of Science, Mathematics, and Physics. All faculties have their residence halls.
Dormitories in Prague are located in eleven locations. To be allotted a dormitory, students should send an email to the in-charge. The university coordinator will provide the student hostel address, accommodation voucher, and other relevant information.
Residences are offered as single, double, and multiple rooms. Bathrooms are shared facilities between two rooms or placed on the same floor. Dormitories have a small kitchen with an electric stove. Laundry rooms and fitness rooms are also among the shared facilities. Students have access to tea, coffee, snacks, and sweets through the vending machine. The receptions sell baguettes.
Students are required to bring the following documents.
- Identity document – ID card (passport, visa, or long-term residence card for foreigners)
- Proof of admission to the university
- one ID card photo
Dormitory fees are based on the location of the dormitory and the type of room.
Admission requirements for international students
Applying to medical universities in the Czech Republic is hassle-free and straightforward. Top-ranking medical universities are often competitive and selective in their admission process. But students with an excellent academic record can easily clear the First Faculty of Medicine’s entrance examinations.
Students who have completed their high-school education can apply for the General Medicine and Dentistry programs. Admissions are based on the performance in university conducted entrance exam.
The entrance exam is organized into two parts. The first part is a written examination in multiple-choice format, with questions from Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Each subject consists of 100 questions. The maximum mark of the test is 300, with a minimum required score of 180. Students who fail to secure at least 180 marks cannot proceed to the next step of the entrance examination.
The second step involves a series of four mini-interview, which may be done in person or online. The interviews are aimed at role-playing (such as breaking bad news), interest in the subject, view of healthcare, medical ethics, and other personal qualities. Each of the four interviews carries ten marks.
A motivation letter is also to be submitted by the applicant, which carries ten marks. Out of 50, the applicant has to obtain at least 35.
The application process for undergraduate level
Th process of applying for programs at Charles University is straightforward.
- Applicants are required to fill out the electronic application form.
- Appear for the entrance exam and achieve a successful result.
- Provide evidence of completed secondary education,
- Pay your tuition fee, and confirm your attendance on enrolment in the Faculty database.
Alternatively, to ensure timely completion and submission of appropriate documents, you can apply via Gyanberry, an official partner of Charles University.
Application Deadline: 30th April
Admission to postgraduate level courses in the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, is based on a recognized Master’s degree and an interview.
The interview consists of discussing the student’s proposed research topic, the meaningfulness and feasibility of the topic, the student’s knowledge of the topic, and the student’s ability to exercise independent research.
The application process for postgraduate level
Students at the postgraduate level must follow the below-mentioned procedure
- Application via an electronic form.
- Payment of application fee of CZK 720
- Appearing for the entrance exam and achieving a successful result
- Submitting proof of Master’s degree program completion.
The following additional documents are required for application for doctoral programs
- Annex to the application form signed by the prospective Supervising Tutor.
- Doctoral project (abstract of the applicant’s research project, signed by the prospective Supervising Tutor).
- Document certifying the award of the master’s degree:
- A review of the applicant’s publication record ( list of published and unpublished work of the applicant, and any other relevant documents, such as completed courses)
- Curriculum Vitae
Application deadline: 30th April
Preparation for Entrance Exams
The First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University provides sample questions for students to have an idea about the nature of the entrance examinations for their popular courses of General Medicine and Dentistry.
Students can also avail of Gyanberry’s prep materials for European medical entrance exams to gain confidence for appearing for the entrance exam at the top-most medical university in the Czech Republic.
Tuition fees and cost of attendance
The cost of medicine and dentistry studies in the Czech Republic is lower than the costs in the US, UK, and other prominent study destinations. This is advantageous to international students as they have access to internationally-recognized excellent quality education at a better cost.
Tuition Fees for popular programs at the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University
|Program||Annual Tuition Fees in USD*|
*Tuition Fees in Czech Kurona (CZK) have been converted to USD at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Cost of living in the Czech Republic
Cost of living in the Czech Republic is quite affordable compared to other European countries. Students who wish to study in the Czech Republic should know the below-listed estimated costs.
|Particulars||Annual cost in USD*|
|Transport and other living expenses||$60-100|
The annual cost of attendance for a full-time student at the Charles University ranges from 21,760 – 25,200 USD or 79,926-92,562 AED**
* Living costs in EUR have been converted to USD at the exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.08 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
** Cost of Attendance in USD has been converted to AED based on the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 3.67 AED.
Scholarships offered by the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University
A opportunities are available for international students to receive scholarships to study medicine in the Czech Republic.
Ph.D. scholarships by Charles University
- Doctoral scholarships are given to all students enrolled in a full-time doctoral study program for three to four years.
- The scholarship ranges from CZK 10,500 to CZK 25,000 per month (USD 466.78-1,111.37*). The Faculty Dean decides the specific amount within this range.
Scholarship awards under bilateral international agreements
- Every year, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports of the Czech Republic (MEYS) offers scholarships to foreign nationals within exchange programs arranged with some countries.
- Scholarships will be given to candidates recommended by appropriate authorities in the eligible countries. In India, it is organized by the Embassy of the Czech Republic in New Delhi.
- University/college students or graduates and Ph.D. candidates who wish to undertake research in one of the Czech public institutions are eligible.
- The period of scholarship usually ranges from 2 to 10 months. Scholarships may be awarded to the same recipients if they submit a renewed application for the following academic year and are selected by the authorities in their country of origin.
- The scholarship is open for Czech-taught courses. However, students enrolled in some English-medium courses may also be eligible.
- For 2022-2023, the scholarship value is CZK 9,000/month (USD 400*) for those without a Master’s degree and CZK 9,500/month (USD 422.32*) for holders of a Master’s degree.
- Scholarship-holders are exempted from tuition fees. The scholarship should be collected in person at the appropriate university department.
*Scholarship values in Czech Kurona (CZK) have been converted to USD at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Career Prospects at the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University
International students have several future opportunities after medical study in the Czech Republic.
- The First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, recognizes that some international students may wish to practice medicine abroad after graduation. Such students must request the Student Office to provide required documentation stated by country of choice.
- Practice abroad is dependent on clearing the qualifying examination as determined by the country’s medical board. Medical graduates of Charles University are often top performers in the USMLE and score above 90%.
- Graduates who wish to work in the Czech Republic must apply to the Ministry of Health for the recognition of their medical qualifications. The Faculty’s official website lists recent job postings in the country.
- It should be noted that graduates looking to work in the Czech Republic must attain C1 level proficiency in the Czech language.
- Alternatively, some graduates may wish to pursue higher studies at the faculty or any other university.