Charles University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Scholarships, Career Prospects
Charles University is historically prominent as the oldest and one of the largest universities in the Czech Republic which was established in 1348. It is also one of the oldest universities in Europe to be in continuous operation.
With more than 50,000 students studying in more than 300 undergraduate and graduate programs in 17 faculties, Charles University belongs to the top three best universities in Central and Eastern Europe. It is also the fifth most demanded university within the Erasmus+ program.
Being a member of Charles University means being a part of the Czech Republic’s culture. Those who wish to study in the Czech Republic must consider this ancient university, which today, has emerged as one of the most scientifically advanced universities in Europe.
Why study at Charles University?
- Charles University is one of the best-ranking universities in the Czech Republic and the third best university in Central and Eastern Europe. Students can explore and enroll in any of its wide range of 300 graduate programs through the university.
- Apart from being a high-ranking university for general medicine, Charles University is also one of the best options for students who wish to study dentistry in the Czech Republic, owing much to scientifically advanced methodologies and ample international opportunities.
- With more than 4000 staff members from academic and non-academic backgrounds, students are assured of high-quality education and student experience that equips them with a competitive advantage.
- More than 50,000 students are enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs at the university. As a member, you can participate in the rich community of young, dynamic, and creative students.
- Charles University hosts several extra-curricular activities throughout the academic year. Students get a chance to build essential skills and values by participating in various educational, scientific, sports, and cultural activities.
- Programs are taught in Czech, English, German, French, Spanish, and Russian languages, ensuring that students from different countries are attracted to join the academic programs at the university, making the student crowd culturally diverse.
- The university has upgraded itself with modern facilities to keep up with the demands of today’s education. Students have access to state-of-the-art libraries and classrooms, enhancing the learning experience.
- Charles Univerisity actively partakes in several international activities, programs, and organizations. The Magna Charta Observatory, International Forum for Public Universities, Coimbra Group, and European Association for International Education are a few.
Charles University Rankings
|QS World University Rankings 2022||266|
|Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022||500-601|
|Shanghai Ranking- Academic Ranking of World Universities 2021||201-300|
|QS EECA University Rankings 2022||2|
|QS Graduate and Employability Ranking 2022||181-190|
Programs offered by Charles University
Charles University offers bachelor’s programs in Czech, English, German, and Russian languages. The following table lists the English-taught, full-time programs currently offered at the university. All of the below-listed degrees have a program duration of three years.
- Protestant Theology
- Computer Science
- Economics and Finance
- History and Area Studies
- Politics, Philosophy and Economics
- Social Sciences
- Fitness Coach
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- English Language and Music Education for Teacher Education
- English Language and Instrument Playing for Teacher Education
- Choral Singing and Music Education for Teacher Education
- Music Education and Instrument Playing for Teacher Education
Integrated Master’s programs
Eight full-time, English-taught integrated master’s courses are offered by Charles University. Details of the programs are given below. One can enroll in the below-listed courses after completion of high school. After graduation, students will be awarded the MUDr (Doctor of General Medicine) degree or MDDr. (Doctor of Dental Medicine) degree.
|Dentistry||First Faculty of Medicine||5 years|
|General Medicine||First Faculty of Medicine||6 years|
|General Medicine||Second Faculty of Medicine||6 years|
|General Medicine||Third Faculty of Medicine||6 years|
|Dentistry||Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen||5 years|
|General Medicine||Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen||6 years|
|General Medicine||Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Králové||6 years|
|Pharmacy||Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové||5 years|
Master’s programs taught in the Czech language include Catholic Theology, Law and Jurisprudence, and Teacher Education for Primary Schools. General Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy are also available in the Czech Language.
Charles University offers 178 English-taught, full-time doctoral programs. These programs cover a wide range of subject areas. The list given below does not cover all the 178 programs:
- Biochemistry, Bioethics, Biophysics,
- Microbiology, Parasitology, Toxicology
- Kinesiology and Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Science
- Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Anglophone Literatures and Cultures
- Asian History and Culture
- Classical Archaeology
- Classical Philology
Campus and Accommodation at Charles University
Charles University campus is located in Ovocný trh 5, Prague 1. It has a few faculties in the Czech cities of Pilsen and Hradec Králové. Students of CU can avail of accommodation services.
Charles University Halls of Residence
Charles university has residence halls available for incoming students. There are four residence halls in Prague (Hostivař, Větrník, Troja, Hvězda), one in Hradec Králové (Na Kotli) and one in Pilsen (Bolevecká). Dormitories are assigned per faculty, and students are provided double rooms. Single rooms are usually not available unless it is a request by students with special needs or health conditions.
In the Hostivař dormitory, all double rooms have their bathrooms. In Troja and Bolevecká dormitories, the bathrooms are shared between two double rooms. The bathroom facilities for Hvězda, Větrník, and Na Kotli dormitories are shared among more rooms on the floor.
The accommodation rooms include double rooms with two separate beds and a bathroom (shared with another room). A small kitchen is available at the end of each corridor in the dormitories Hostivař, Větrník, Hvězda.
Students should book accommodation via Erasmus online registration. Direct bookings will prevent students from being recognized for residence and should be avoided. A deposit of 90 EUR and the first month’s rent of approximately 150 EUR is to be paid two months in advance of arrival.
The university does not arrange private accommodation. Students will have to arrange such accommodation on their own with vigilance as there are chances of getting scammed. For canceling dormitory accommodation for a private one, students must submit a scanned copy of the private accommodation agreement.
Admission requirements for international students
Admission to programs at Charles University is subject to the criteria specified in each faculty.
The minimum requirement for entry into all bachelor’s programs at Charles University is a certificate of secondary education completion. Additional admission criteria for each English-taught program vary. Below is a brief outline of some of those criteria. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.
Letters of recommendation
Proof of English language proficiency with an IELTS score of at least 6.5 or equivalent
Usually, top theology universities do not have any entrance test requirements, but that is not the case with Charles University. Applicants for theology need to take a written and oral test based on theology and suggested readings.
Applicants for the computer science program must submit SAT, ACT, or other such exams that demonstrate sufficient reasoning abilities.
Applicants for teacher education programs have to undergo an evaluation procedure based on an English language examination and an audition where applicants are required to sing or play an instrument. English-taught teacher education programs at Charles University are double-subject programs, unlike education courses available at other top teacher education universities.
Charles University is one of the best medical universities in the Czech Republic for international students.
Applicants who wish to study general medicine or dentistry after high school can enroll in one of the bachelor’s programs at the First Faculty of Medicine.
The standard admission requirements are
- Certificate proving high-school completion.
- Motivation letter
- Proof of English language with a minimum C1 level
- SAT or other accepted examination with a minimum score in the 85th percentile.
General medicine programs are also available at the Second Faculty of Medicine and Third Faculty of Medicine.
The Pilsen campus of Charles University offers general medicine and dentistry, whereas and Hradec Králové campus offers general medicine and pharmacy programs.
Students have to appear for entrance examinations for General Medicine and Dentistry programs in the subjects of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics. These entrance exams are conducted in two parts: written and oral. Written exams are in the multiple-choice format.
After completing the written exam, students may be invited for an interview where they would discuss general medicine topics to demonstrate their independent judgment and communication skills.
The university website offers preparatory material and sample questions for the entrance exams.
Alternatively, applicants can also prepare for a bachelor’s program in medicine through Gyanberry’s preparation classes.
The process of applying to medical universities in the Czech Republic is relatively straightforward. At Charles University, students can apply to their preferred course in the following steps.
- Applicants are required to fill out the electronic application form.
- Appear for the entrance exam and achieve a successful result.
- Provide evidence of completed secondary education,
- Pay your tuition fee, and confirm your enrollment attendance in the Faculty database
Alternatively, to ensure timely completion and submission of appropriate documents, you can apply via Gyanberry, an official partner of Charles University.
Application Deadline: 30th April
Tuition fees and cost of attendance
Charles University offers high-quality education at affordable costs. The university’s medical programs, which are among the top-ranking ones globally, are available at lower tuition costs than other similarly ranking programs in other countries. The cost of studying medicine and dentistry in the Czech Republic is lower than in other countries, such as the US, UK, and Canada.
The table below lists the tuition fees of some of the English-taught programs offered at the university.
|Program||Annual Tuition Fees in USD*|
|Economics and Finance||$6,489**|
|History and Area Studies||$4,326**|
|Politics, Philosophy and Economics||$6,489**|
|Liberal Arts and Humanities||$3,244**|
|English Language and Music Education for Teacher Education||$2,649|
|English Language and Instrument Playing for Teacher Education||$2,649|
|Choral Singing and Music Education for Teacher Education||$2,649|
|Music Education and Instrument Playing for Teacher Education||$2,649|
Integrated Master’s level
|Program||Faculty||Annual Tuition Fees in USD*|
|General Medicine||First Faculty of Medicine||$19,874|
|Dentistry||First Faculty of Medicine||$19,874|
|General Medicine||Second Faculty of Medicine||$17,224|
|General Medicine||Third Faculty of Medicine||$15,457|
|General Medicine||Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen||$15,457|
|Dentistry||Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen||$15,457|
|General Medicine||Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Králové||$13,690|
|Pharmacy||Faculty of Pharmacy in Hradec Králové||$8,220**|
*Tuition Fees in Czech Kurona (CZK) have been converted to USD at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
** Some tuition fees are mentioned in EUR by the university. Such fees have been converted to USD at 1 EUR = 1.08 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Cost of living in the Czech Republic
|Particulars||Annual cost in USD*|
|Transport and other living expenses||$60-100|
The annual cost of attendance for a full-time student at the Charles University ranges from 5,164 – 25,074 USD or 18,967-92,099 AED**
* Living costs in EUR have been converted to USD at the exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.08 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
** Cost of Attendance in USD has been converted to AED based on the current exchange rate of 1 USD = 3.67 AED
Scholarships offered by Charles University for international students
Charles University offers scholarships to both EU and non-EU students willing to pursue their education at the university. Additionally, there are several opportunities to receive scholarships to study medicine/MBBS in the Czech Republic.
Accommodation scholarship at Charles University is subject to the Czech government’s approval for a particular semester. All erasmus+ students are automatically considered if eligible, and hence, no separate application is required.
If approved, a scholarship award of about 500 CZK/month (USD 22.14*) is paid out in cash to erasmus+ students of CU at any major branch of the Komerční Banka A.S.
Computer Science Tuition Fee Scholarship
- The Scholarship is open to candidates applying for English-taught Bachelor’s or Master’s Programmes in Computer Science, at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University for the academic years beginning 2021/2022.
- Up to three scholarships will be awarded to students in the Bachelor’s program and up to two to students in the master’s program.
- The scholarship award includes tuition fees coverage for academic years 2021-22, 2022-23, and 2023-2024 in the case of bachelor’s students, and 2021-22 and 2022-23 for master’s students.
- The scholarship award value is 140,000 CZK (USD 6,199.72*) per academic year for students outside the EU.
Prague Mathematics Tuition Fee Scholarship
- Candidates enrolling in the following English-taught master’s programs are eligible for the scholarship for the academic years beginning 2021-2022: Computational Mathematics, Financial and Insurance Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis, Mathematical Structures, Mathematics for Information Technologies, Probability, Mathematical Statistics and Econometrics, Mathematical Modelling in Physics and Technology
- Up to two Scholarships will be awarded to students. The award includes tuition fee coverage of 140,000 CZK (USD 6,199.72*) per academic year for students outside the EU..
Prague Physics Tuition Fee Scholarship
- Candidates enrolling in the following English-taught master’s programs are eligible for the scholarship for the academic years beginning 2021-2022: Atmospheric Physics, Meteorology and Climatology, Biophysics and Chemical Physics, Optics and Optoelectronics, Particle and Nuclear Physics, Physics of Condensed Matter and Materials, Surface and Plasma Physics
- Up to two Scholarships will be awarded to students. The award includes tuition fee coverage of 140,000 CZK (USD 6,199.72*) per academic year for students outside the EU.
Applications for Computer Science Tuition Fee Scholarship, Prague Mathematics Tuition Fee Scholarship, Prague Physics Tuition Fee Scholarship can be made as follows: Apply to your preferred bachelor’s or master’s program using the Student Information System of Charles University, and keep the following documents ready:
- curriculum vitae;
- motivation letter;
- list of publications (if applicable);
- transcript(s) of records;
- two letters of recommendation from academic supervisors or employer.
All these documents (except the letters of recommendation) must be written in or translated into English and should be uploaded to the university’s Student Information System.
The scholarship application should be sent via email. The candidate should arrange for letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the prescribed email address.
- This scholarship is administered by the Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University with a contribution from the Charles University and the Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports respectively.
- The scholarship is available for students from developing countries and countries going through a political and economic transition (according to the report of UNCTAD).
- The scholarship is awarded to students studying in one of the Faculty’s fee-based study programs in one of the three years of the bachelor’s program or one of the two years of the master’s program.
- A total of eight scholarships are expected to be awarded for the academic year 2022-23.
- The scholarship is awarded as a one-time payment of CZK 75,000 (USD 3,321.28*) toward living costs. The tuition fee waiver is not a part of the scholarship.
The deadline for scholarship applications is 30th April
Application has to include the following documents:
- a completed motivation essay of no more than 1000 words explaining the need for a scholarship and what the applicant hopes to gain from their studies at Charles University
- two letters of recommendation from teachers, who know the applicant from their previous studies, including confirmation of financial need.
Scholarship awards under intergovernmental exchange programs
These scholarships are designed for university/college students, graduates, and Ph.D. candidates who wish to undertake study or research in one of the Czech public institutions of higher education.
Scholarship awardees are exempted from tuition fees. However, the award has to be collected from the appropriate university department in person.
For 2022-2023, the scholarship amounts to CZK 9,000 per month (USD 399.13*) for those without a Master’s degree and CZK 9,500 per month (USD 421.30*) for holders of a Master’s degree.
*Scholarship values in Czech Kurona (CZK) have been converted to USD at the current exchange rate of 1 CZK = 0.044 USD. Exchange rates are subject to periodic change.
Career Prospects at Charles University
Graduates of bachelor’s and master’s programs at Charles University are equipped with industry-standard skills and knowledge to work in demanding professions.
Charles University graduates are individuals with a deep theoretical background and sharp critical thinking. They can quickly absorb new findings and be well-versed in the rapidly changing world.
- Graduates of the Faculties of Computer Science and Mathematics can become programmers, applications developers, software analysts, data and web application analysts, process analysts (especially in IT companies), computer systems administrators, process optimization specialists, natural language processing specialists, and computer games developers.
- Graduates of the Faculty of Social Sciences are prepared to practice professions in basic or applied research, media and communications, public relations, government, nonprofit, or private companies. Graduates are prepared for further education in Social Sciences, whether in the Czech Republic or abroad.
- Graduates from the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport can place themselves with sports clubs and organizations training and guiding youth and adults. They can also find employment as instructors in fitness and wellness centers.
- Future Opportunities after Medical study in the Czech Republic are plenty for medical studies graduates. Students can find employment in any of the hospitals in the country, or move abroad for international practice. Charles University’s medical graduates are often employed during their final year of medical education. They are excellent performers in the USMLE, attaining more than 90%.
The university does not have an unemployment rate as all graduates are placed across top institutions. Graduates also do not switch to other fields after graduation, indicating their dedication to their profession.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the acceptance rate of Charles University?
The acceptance rate of Charles University is 29%. Charles University is one of the best-ranked institutions in the Czech Republic and is selective about the quality of incoming students.
What should be my SAT score for gaining admission into Charles University?
Some programs at Charles University require SAT scores. You should aim for a composite score of 1240, including a score in Mathematics of at least 660.
Does Charles university require English proficiency scores?
Yes. English-taught programs at Charles University require students to prove their English proficiency with an IELTS score of at least 6.5 / a TOEFL score of at least 83, or any other equivalent test scores.